Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 25 2014, 08:48 PM   #1
jibrilmudo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why does Data never take Lal's skin?

Back in s3, Lal had much more advanced and natural looking skin than her father, which Data specifically and proudly noted as an advancement by him.

In s7, Thine Own Self, he had half his face ripped off and then later replaced, so we know that part of him isn't so integrated that it can't be replaced, in fact, it seems to be the least trouble some part to fully replace.

I get why they kept Data's skin, being an iconic character and all, but since Data is so keen on being more human, is there any in-canon and internal universe explanation why he doesn't go for more natural skin, or any theories as to why?
jibrilmudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: Why does Data never take Lal's skin?

He's not in touch with his feminine side.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

He's not the Hannibal Lecter of androids. That's more of a Lore thing.
Old February 25 2014, 08:57 PM   #4
T'Cal
Commodore

I wondered that too after Unification when they made him look like a Romulan/Vulcanoid. I read rumors when First Contact came out that in the next movie Data would look very different, which was why they didn't fix him at the end. Since his mother had an aging program, I figured that to keep the brilliant Brent Spiner filling the role, the writers would add that his aging subroutine kicked in at some point. Or, maybe B4 had the aging routine unlike Data. Lastly, I was thinking the other day while watching Insurrection that the writers could've had Picard revisit the Baku' planet where he would stay a while with Anij and he would de-age, allowing a younger actor to take over the role for future films.
Old February 25 2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

I always assumed Data had more important things to work on and develop rather then worry about his looks.
Similar to how we are born with our racial traits and features, this is not something we can change and is based upon our parents traits. So, I assumed, Data accepting his appearance as his traits passed down from his father. In his aspirations to become more human, I do not see why he would need to change the look of his skin to accomplish this.
There could be many theoretical reasons why Data would have wanted to, of course. I'm sure that he could update his appearance to look exactly human (especially once he masters human movement?) and would be able to intagrate in amongst people flawlessly. But again, Data's appearance makes him Data and is his own. Which I just don't think is a concern to him.
IMO.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Shik
Commander

It puts the lube on its skin or else it gets the ODN cabling again. Also, the idea of "naked" Data running around waiting for his new human suit...yeah.
Old February 25 2014, 09:20 PM   #7
MakeshiftPython
Captain

There really was never an in-universe logical reason for Data not look more human, given that androids in the 23rd century looked just like humans anyway. I always figured that a behind the scenes reason for having Data looking like he did is to telegraph to viewers that he's not human, his artificial look tells you he's more machine than man.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 09:58 PM   #8
sojourner
Admiral

Yeah, back in the day makeup was cheaper to use than visual effects like the "glowy bits" they use on Almost Human to remind us that Data is an android.
Old February 25 2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Data wants to be more human in his essence, not in his appearance. Growing a beard is more than a cosmetic change, it's a human behavior. Humans can change their hair color, but not their skin color (except if you're Michael Jackson). Also, what skin color should he choose? The easier solution would be taking the same of Noonian Soong, but it would mean for Data to sacrifice a part of his own individuality to look even more like his creator.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 10:04 PM   #10
jibrilmudo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Armored Saint wrote: View Post
Data wants to be more human in his essence, not in his appearance. Growing a beard is more than a cosmetic change, it's a human behavior. Humans can change their hair color, but not their skin color (except if you're Michael Jackson). Also, what skin color should he choose? The easier solution would be taking the same of Noonian Soong, but it would mean for Data to sacrifice a part of his own individuality to look even more like his creator.
Well, he would look less like Lore, which might be a tradeoff Data might be willing to make, especially as children often can look like their parents decades earlier, bringing him closer to humanity in that aspect.

I'm also wondering if this new skin had more sensation like what the Borg Queen tempted him with.
jibrilmudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 10:17 PM   #11
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

Having common traits with a sibling is also a human reality.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 08:21 PM   #12
Vandervecken
Commander

When I read this thread title I flashed on seeing Data as Buffalo Bill, and Lal in a pit having to spread on skin lotion.
Old February 26 2014, 09:42 PM   #13
Shik
Commander

Stop stealing my jokes.
Old February 27 2014, 02:14 AM   #14
Pondwater
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
He's not the Hannibal Lecter of androids. That's more of a Lore thing.

...All night long...
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 03:44 AM   #15
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Data wished to experience the human feeling of being "comfortable in ones own skin".