USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 26 2014, 02:56 AM   #31
dub
Fleet Captain

Re: The early seasons :

^well said!
dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 07:08 AM   #32
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I'm not ashamed to admit that "Move Along Home" is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I'd rather watch that than "Meridian" or "Let He Who is Without Sin."
Well, I won't fault you for liking ``Move Along Home'', but I did watch it for the first time in who knows how long to see if I'd been unfairly judging it, and, ugh, no.

The humor just felt klunky in that way Berman-era Trek manages. The link between what the rolls of the Space Dice and the actions of the game and the things Our Kidnapped Heroes were doing in the game came out vague and confusing.

The game scenarios didn't make much sense as games, either: ``repeat what this girl is doing, the same way she's doing it, one time!'' ``Here's a room full of fumes --- can you take a drink from any of the three dozen champagne glasses people offer you?''

I admit something that's not exactly its fault is that going back aware that Our Heroes aren't ever in actual peril means the sense of drama is horribly deflated, but that means the episode has to survive on its whimsy, and that clashes with Trek's natural ponderousness.

I'm glad for you that you enjoy it, and will presumably keep enjoying it, but I can't recommend it as an under appreciated gem of early Deep Space Nine.
Nebusj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 07:30 AM   #33
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

This gets funnier every time I watch it.

Last edited by AllStarEntprise; February 27 2014 at 05:20 AM.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 09:25 AM   #34
Skywalker
Admiral

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
I'm not ashamed to admit that "Move Along Home" is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I'd rather watch that than "Meridian" or "Let He Who is Without Sin."
Well, I won't fault you for liking ``Move Along Home'', but I did watch it for the first time in who knows how long to see if I'd been unfairly judging it, and, ugh, no.

The humor just felt klunky in that way Berman-era Trek manages. The link between what the rolls of the Space Dice and the actions of the game and the things Our Kidnapped Heroes were doing in the game came out vague and confusing.

The game scenarios didn't make much sense as games, either: ``repeat what this girl is doing, the same way she's doing it, one time!'' ``Here's a room full of fumes --- can you take a drink from any of the three dozen champagne glasses people offer you?''

I admit something that's not exactly its fault is that going back aware that Our Heroes aren't ever in actual peril means the sense of drama is horribly deflated, but that means the episode has to survive on its whimsy, and that clashes with Trek's natural ponderousness.

I'm glad for you that you enjoy it, and will presumably keep enjoying it, but I can't recommend it as an under appreciated gem of early Deep Space Nine.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think it's a good episode and I wouldn't recommend it as an under appreciated gem, either, but for some reason I always get a kick out of it when I watch it. I find something entertaining in its stupid silliness, whereas other poor episodes (such as the two I cited earlier) are either dull as dirt or offensively bad, which leaves them with no redeeming qualities for me.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:40 PM   #35
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
For me the early seasons are easier to enjoy after you know what happens later. When you're watching them after just having seen TNG you're watching it through the eyes of expecting a specific thing which it doesn't offer. No exploration? Ferengi running around trying to scam people? Bajoran religion? That's not what TNG gave me!

Then when you've seen the full arc of the show and you get what DS9 is all about and the direction it's headed, and watch the early episodes again, it all clicks.

Also, a lot of the characters weren't well fleshed out at that point in the series, but then when you watch again after having seen the full series, you see their future established traits in them.
This is very true. In its original run, I didn't enjoy it until I had seen all the episodes. Meanwhile, Seasons 4-6 were enjoyable just as they were (I didn't really watch season 7 because of a job and no TV that was my own).
Old March 9 2014, 07:15 PM   #36
mlk
Ensign

Sort of easy answer is that they basicaly tried to be TNG on a space station, which changed in season 3.
mlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 02:43 AM   #37
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I disagree. I think the TNG-ness went away by the end of season one.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 05:21 PM   #38
sonak
Vice Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
For me, seasons one and two are DS9's finest. Later, as "the war" arc is introduced and then painfully drawn out to the point of extreme tedium, the show goes down hill. Episodes like "Take Me Out To The Holosuite" were a welcome relief.

you and I reach on this. I think that early-seasons, "old school" DS9 was much better than the "Star Trek: Dominion War" it later became.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 06:21 PM   #39
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I loved season 2, and there were a lot to like in Season 1 too. Maybe it was the whole Star Trek must be bad in the first two seasons rule, but I enjoyed Season 2 more than I did Season 6.
Old March 16 2014, 11:30 PM   #40
sonak
Vice Admiral

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
I loved season 2, and there were a lot to like in Season 1 too. Maybe it was the whole Star Trek must be bad in the first two seasons rule, but I enjoyed Season 2 more than I did Season 6.

To me it's like the "odd number movie curse" in that it becomes self-fulfilling. The "modern Trek has bad early seasons" meme took hold even when it didn't apply to DS9. To me, DS9 season two is one of the best of the entire series.
Old March 16 2014, 11:47 PM   #41
Harvey
Admiral

Season one is uneven. Season two is a little better. Season three is a little better still. All have terrible episodes, but none is as bad as the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation (or, for that matter, the third season of Star Trek).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 12:20 AM   #42
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

I think season two is strong, though still rough. Opportunities to make great television were missed. I watched Paradise today, thinking that it was odd that they didn't address the level of social control more thoroughly.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2014, 03:35 AM   #43
sonak
Vice Admiral

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
I think season two is strong, though still rough. Opportunities to make great television were missed. I watched Paradise today, thinking that it was odd that they didn't address the level of social control more thoroughly.

indeed, and the ending just makes you want to puke-it throws realism out the window that this community isn't out for payback, but is instead content and accepting of how much of their lives were stolen.
Old March 17 2014, 02:43 PM   #44
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

^After powerful scenes of Sisko suffering in the sweatbox (just a little reference to plantation life), it was apologetic, at best, and definitely a waste of an intriguing premise. At the very least, we should have had a scene in which Cassandra and her henchmen were arrested, or in which Joseph explicitly rejects her authority.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2014, 09:17 PM   #45
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The first half of season seven is far worse on the whole than any of the early seasons are on the whole. (And that's not an indictment of Ezri, that's an indictment of just the stupidity of some of the premises in that stretch).

Agree on Paradise. I might believe a handful of them wanting to continue their simpler existence, but all of them? None of them want to see their families again? Really?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote