Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Star Trek 3 Filming To Begin
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

IDW Publishing Trek Comics For April 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jan 20

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 22 2014, 01:28 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Which "main" character could have been eliminated?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I don't see how you could eliminate the character of Archer. Recast or write better, but not eliminate.
He was completely wrong, and made the show (all seasons) a joke. Replace him with the character of Tucker. Create a different engineer for the ship.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I don't see how you could eliminate the character of Archer. Recast or write better, but not eliminate.
He was completely wrong, and made the show (all seasons) a joke. Replace him with the character of Tucker. Create a different engineer for the ship.

Archer was all wrong, Tucker would've been a far better choice for Captain.
Tucker? Based on what? I like Tucker, but I'm not sure what he brings to the Captain's chair.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 02:26 AM   #32
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

^ Start with his easy going southern charm.

When I was in High School he was the only character people talked about, even those who rarely watch the show knew about "Trip." What's one of the primary demographics the networks and cable outfit want?

He was (the character) comfortable in his own skin, Archer wasn't. He came off a competent professional, Archer didn't. I could never see Archer as a ladies man, thankfully TPTB didn't try, Trip as Captain would have easied into that role.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 03:18 AM   #33
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Having lived in the south, I guess I'm immune. Though I liked having another Southerner in Trek.

When I was in High School he was the only character people talked about, even those who rarely watch the show knew about "Trip." What's one of the primary demographics the networks and cable outfit want?
Kids in High School?

He was (the character) comfortable in his own skin, Archer wasn't. He came off a competent professional, Archer didn't. I could never see Archer as a ladies man, thankfully TPTB didn't try, Trip as Captain would have easied into that role.
That makes him sidekick material.
Old February 22 2014, 04:45 AM   #34
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

What high school did you go to? I was in COLLEGE surrounded by nerds when the show was on, and even THEY did not really know much about Enterprise other than the Vulcan chick got naked..
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 11:16 PM   #35
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

What's one of the primary demographics the networks and cable outfit want?
Kids in High School?
Young people in general, people who haven't establish brand loyalties and will use commercials to make consumer decisions. "Kids" who would have gotten hooked on Star Trek as High School seniors would be in their early twenties when the show left the air.

The size of this demographic is important in determining what can be charged for advertizing.

Old February 23 2014, 01:32 AM   #36
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post

I almost said Keiko, but she is a guest star... she does win the award as the most annoying and non supportive life partner EVER in Trek.
I'm glad someone finally agrees with me about Keiko. Her character's annoying level was taken to new heights on DS9. It reminded me of other poorly written characters who say "Choose me or your career." It's akin to the spouse of a soldier saying "I don't like where we're assigned so resign."

When it comes to Ezri, it feels like the writer's felt they needed to keep the Dax character around. If they had wrote her as a recurring character, perhaps brought to the station because of concerns of mental health after Sisko's "breakdown" at the end of Season 6. She didn't have to be a regular and even though I am a fan of "Field of Fire", we would have been spared the clunker of "Prodigal Daughter" and the random mid-season running after Worf and sleeping with him because Jadzia loved him.

I would've cut T'Pol out of ENT. Her character was brutally wooden in the first two seasons and they had to turn her into a drug addict in Season 3 to make her interesting. I would rather have seen the crew make some of those early bumbling mistakes if they didn't have her sulking around every episode.
Old February 23 2014, 02:22 AM   #37
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Finally? Keiko hate is practically a national past time here!
Old February 23 2014, 02:43 AM   #38
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

And it's freakin' obnoxious.
Old February 23 2014, 03:02 AM   #39
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile

Keiko was treated badly by Miles (though mostly through circumstance).
She was practically a single mother most of the time raising her children on a dingy Space Station full of criminals.
Yes Miles had plenty of time to 'party' with Bashir and co while Keiko was left holding the baby.
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 05:06 AM   #40
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Keiko's personality could be a little grating but she never got in the way of Miles' career. She traveled with him wherever he went even when there was no botany could be done there. She fought for quality of education over religious intolerance. She was always willing to sacrifice her own happiness to go where Miles goes, so how could you say she was in the way of his career?

Archer wasn't great but I'd sacrifice Reed or Mayweather before Archer.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 05:17 AM   #41
Lance
Commodore

Interesting thing about eliminating Yar: the bizarre thing I found last time I watched thru season one of TNG that I hadn't ever noticed before is how completely inessential she was. I think it must be because she was conceived as something special, but when Justman and Berman started pushing Gene to include a Klingon marine character, Yar's usefulness to scripts effectively ceased, because everything you might reasonably expect Yar to do could be done better by Worf. This is never more overtly pronounced than in Hide & Q, where Q eliminates Yar from the game without her even being able to get off a shot at him, and for the rest of the episode the role she might reasonably have been expected to play down on the planet is instead taken... by Worf.

Tasha Yar was basically made irrelevant from the start. Without Worf there, she would've been functional... but the series just wasn't big enough to sustain the both of them together.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 05:43 AM   #42
malfourmed
Ensign

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
For definition purposes, we are limiting "main" characters to those names appeared in the credits every week, and not Guest Stars.
By that definition...

TOS: McCoy (other than Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley, nobody else was credited as a regular)
TNG: Wesley
DS9: Jake
VOY: Kim
ENT: Mayweather

So, excluding TOS as a special case (only three credited leads), you can safely get rid of kids and ensigns and not damage the show...
malfourmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 03:12 PM   #43
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

malfourmed wrote: View Post
By that definition...

TOS: McCoy (other than Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley, nobody else was credited as a regular)
And you wouldn't have been able to rid the show of Kelley untik the second season, because iirc he wasn't in the opening credits in season one.

Spock Must Die.

Lance wrote: View Post
Interesting thing about eliminating Yar: the bizarre thing I found last time I watched thru season one of TNG that I hadn't ever noticed before is how completely inessential she was.
Much of what she did standing behind the horseshoe could have been carried out by an extra in most episodes.

My big problem with Yar is that I could never buy someone of Crosby's physical build as a officer who (apparently) was career security. Think about female police officers and marines that you've seen.

Crosby was a stick.

Her eventual replacement by Worf was almost a given from the start, Worf the Klingon warrior was originally conceived as a somewhat low level character, but he grabbed the fans interest, and while not at Stewart's skill level, Dorn's acting abilities fair exceeded Crosby's.

Without the presence of Dorn, Crosby might have stayed and grew, she later became a good average actress in other roles, and that might have happen on Trek too. If she stayed.

Old February 23 2014, 03:17 PM   #44
{ Emilia }
Bond. James Bond.

TOS: I respect that they had a black woman on the bridge but they might have as well replaced her with somebody who actually had some character development.
TNG: Tasha Yar was really useless and the acting was poor. They should've just randomly killed her off at the hands of some bizarre monster. Oh...
DS9: I have many issues with DS9 but I think all the main characters were central to the series. Oh wait, they simply shouldn't have added Ezri. That was a waste of screen time for the final season.
Voy: Harry Kim.
Enterprise: Mayweather.
Old February 23 2014, 05:00 PM   #45
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Surprised to see so many Jake votes for DS9.

Is that just because you believe everyone else was so awesome, and someone needs to thrown under the bus, or did folks actually have a problem with Jake?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote