RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,957
Posts: 5,391,148
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 553
Newest member: Jadakiss

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 3 2014, 05:31 PM   #31
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: ˙ɐlnqǝu sıɥʇ uı ʞɔnʇS
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
"I say to you - Borg Collective - you! You are imperfect!"

NOOOOOOO - and the Borg blow themselves up.

Kirk wins.
Something like that.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 07:31 PM   #32
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

Well, if Kirk did get assimilated than most likely the plot would've gone the same only with Spock mind-melding with Kirk instead of Data interfacing with Locutus.

Kirk's faced super-technological beings before, like V'Ger. Without Spock in that story I'm not sure how things would've turned out.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:00 PM   #33
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
"I say to you - Borg Collective - you! You are imperfect!"

NOOOOOOO - and the Borg blow themselves up.

Kirk wins.
Something like that.
This is like the best thing ever!

__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 03:27 AM   #34
david g
Commodore
 
Location: cambridge, ma, usa
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

Is there anything in one of the Trek novels or elsewhere on connections between V'Ger, the Machine Planet, and the Borg?
david g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 10:43 AM   #35
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

david g wrote: View Post
Is there anything in one of the Trek novels or elsewhere on connections between V'Ger, the Machine Planet, and the Borg?
You want William Shatner's The Return.

The regular novelverse, however, has the Borg and V'ger as being totally unrelated (see: Cold Equations: The Body Electric for what V'ger's bigger brother gets up to)
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 11:04 AM   #36
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

teacake wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
"I say to you - Borg Collective - you! You are imperfect!"

NOOOOOOO - and the Borg blow themselves up.

Kirk wins.
Something like that.
This is like the best thing ever!

Yup, it's what he does. Funniest line from Picard ever to Spock on his Romulan gambit about how such cowboy diplomacy will not be tolerated. Kirk and Spock's main gig involved a phaser, a smirk, and a great patter. That TNG generation just could not hang with Kirk and Spock, being a bunch of Herberts and all.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 02:08 PM   #37
david g
Commodore
 
Location: cambridge, ma, usa
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

Thanks, King Daniel. I'm assuming that Shatner had this book ghost-written.
david g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 06:54 PM   #38
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

david g wrote: View Post
Thanks, King Daniel. I'm assuming that Shatner had this book ghost-written.
Yep, by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, who would go on to write several episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2014, 11:35 PM   #39
Jedi_Master
Commodore
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: Florida
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
david g wrote: View Post
Thanks, King Daniel. I'm assuming that Shatner had this book ghost-written.
Yep, by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, who would go on to write several episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise.
Off topic, but they are amazing authors, whose motivation for working with Shatner I never understood. I realize the money was amazing, but the difference in quality between the sections of the book they wrote (everything but Kirk's POV) and the rest (Kirk's POV) is so obvious that it makes for uncomfortable reading. I usually skipped all of Kirk's parts in the novels, as they read like bad - fan fic.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 12:02 AM   #40
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

Anwar wrote: View Post
Well, if Kirk did get assimilated than most likely the plot would've gone the same only with Spock mind-melding with Kirk instead of Data interfacing with Locutus.

Kirk's faced super-technological beings before, like V'Ger. Without Spock in that story I'm not sure how things would've turned out.
While Scotty deals with having acting command (Spock having been bypassed because his technical prowess as Science Officer is logically needed more urgently in this situation) and trying to quickly come into his own with some original strategies that Kirk won't be familiar with...
__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 04:37 AM   #41
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
Well, if Kirk did get assimilated than most likely the plot would've gone the same only with Spock mind-melding with Kirk instead of Data interfacing with Locutus.

Kirk's faced super-technological beings before, like V'Ger. Without Spock in that story I'm not sure how things would've turned out.
While Scotty deals with having acting command (Spock having been bypassed because his technical prowess as Science Officer is logically needed more urgently in this situation) and trying to quickly come into his own with some original strategies that Kirk won't be familiar with...
Scotty would fill the Borg cube full of Tribbles and cases of Scotch. Let's see how those cybernetic beasties deal with that.
__________________
Let's make sure history never forgets...
the name...
Enterprise
Push The Button is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 02:25 PM   #42
USS KG5
Vice Admiral
 
USS KG5's Avatar
 
Location: England's green and pleasant land.
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Guinan appearing in Generations like that never made much sense to me but I'm happy to ignore that. I still like Generations because of all the TNG movies it captured the mood of the series the best.
Well as we do this around here...

It isn't that hard to rationalise - why were the El-Aurians running away? What from? Why wouldn't you at least ask?

Well probably someone did -Voyager and Enterprise establish that the Borg made appearances long before they were "officially" introduced by Q, and that they were also fully aware of the Federation.

For whatever reason the Feds or Starfleet kept their existence quiet, maybe Section 31 were involved, maybe Starfleet said "We just built 2000 Excelsior class ships now you are saying we need new ones"?
__________________
I believe in a better world, so I love Star Trek. I have to live in this one, so I love Battlestar Galactica.
USS KG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:17 PM   #43
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

TNG itself more or less stated that the Borg had attacked Federation space before "Q Who?' when we were introduced to them for the first time.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 03:08 PM   #44
USS KG5
Vice Admiral
 
USS KG5's Avatar
 
Location: England's green and pleasant land.
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

Anwar wrote: View Post
TNG itself more or less stated that the Borg had attacked Federation space before "Q Who?' when we were introduced to them for the first time.
Well they at that point joined the dots from the attacks mentioned in "The Neutral Zone" to the Borg from the scans of a destroyed local planet. Starfleet was therefore aware of an enemy that may or may not pose a threat at that point.

Compared to some stuff in Trek it rationalises away pretty easily. There are presumably hundreds of non-aligned potentially hostile races that Starfleet deals with and not all pose an immediate threat.
__________________
I believe in a better world, so I love Star Trek. I have to live in this one, so I love Battlestar Galactica.
USS KG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 02:38 PM   #45
Khan 2.0
Commander
 
Khan 2.0's Avatar
 
Location: earth...but when?...spock?
Re: Kirk vs. the Borg

dunno if this has been mentioned but Kirk vs The Borg in TOS era has already been done in Star Trek Manga 'Side Effects'
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.