RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 506
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 19 2014, 09:13 AM   #1
QuarkforNagus
Lieutenant

Who would prevail in an armed conflict?

A Borg cube or the Death Star?

Why?
QuarkforNagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 09:38 AM   #2
AverageWriter
Lieutenant

Re: Who would prevail in an armed conflict?

The Borg Cube can fire in multiple directions, can achieve transwarp, can adapt to almost any type of incoming energy weapon, and can regenerate when hit.

The Death Star is a slow-moving ball with a gigantic "Shoot This Here" hole in it that got blown up by a kid from the desert.

Sorry, gotta go with the Borg on this one.
AverageWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Would have to say the Borg as well. With no shields, the Cube could beam drones over and begin assimilating the Death Star from within whilst smaching through TIE fighters and opening fire of the Death Star, the perimeter defences of which would be little more than a scratch to the Cube's shields.
Old February 19 2014, 11:41 AM   #4
grendelsbayne
Commander

The Death Star is a ridiculously oversized and absurdly vulnerable weapon whose only purpose is to blow up planets - large, undefended, slow moving targets. It wouldn't stand a chance in a serious fight against any well defended, well armed ship, let alone the Borg. Maybe one of the supersized Star Destroyers could fare better - but still, shields and maneuverability are a major advantage.
grendelsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Vandervecken
Commander

How about Borg cube vs Vorlon planet destroyer?
Old February 19 2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Well, with the Death Star there is the matter of the small thermal exhaust port right below the main port. I guess it depends on how good the Borg are at bullseyeing Whomp Rats.
Old February 19 2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Jedi_Master
Commodore

Kirby wrote: View Post
Well, with the Death Star there is the matter of the small thermal exhaust port right below the main port. I guess it depends on how good the Borg are at bullseyeing Whomp Rats.
Or how many T-16's they have.

The Death Star I superlaser was unable to hit a target the size of a Borg Cube, so the Cube would have forever and a day to take it apart.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 05:11 PM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The Borg would adapt eventually, but they'd never survive the first hit from the Death Star.

Multiple cubes? The Borg.
Old February 19 2014, 05:23 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

Depends. Which one is Batman with? Does he have time to prepare?
Old February 19 2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The Borg could beam over drones and shut down the Death Star's superlaser before it could ever fire.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 06:06 PM   #11
PhoenixClass
Lieutenant Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Depends. Which one is Batman with? Does he have time to prepare?
He's always prepared.
PhoenixClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Jono
Rear Admiral

The Borg can beam over and assimilate the crew. Though, if they did and got a Stormtrooper they would no longer be able to hit anyone with weapons fire or probably even their assimilation tubes, leading to a ever ending corridor fight with no one getting killed.

In the end the only way to break the deadlock would be the first side to deploy the ultimate fighters in the galaxy: Ewoks.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 07:25 PM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

It would be hard for the Borg drones to adapt to the weapons of the Stormtroopers, given that the Stormtroopers would likely keep missing the Borg drones.

F
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:17 PM   #14
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

If there were a fleet of Star Destroyers to keep the Borg busy, then it may be possible for the Death Star to get its superlaser up and running in time to destroy a lone Borg cube, assuming the DS is facing roughly the right way at the beginning of combat. Otherwise, given shields and transporters, the Borg would win every time because they could simply transport over to the DS reactor and blow it.

That's the problem with ST v SW, although SW weaponry seems more powerful, and the manpower is considerably higher, Trek Tech such as shields and transporters makes it like comparing chalk and cheese. On this basis, SW, B5, Andromeda and Farscape may be considered comparible (for a slug-fest), and Trek can only really be compared with Stargate.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:31 PM   #15
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Chuck Norris wins. Obviously.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote