Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 18 2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
Costuming - TOS Boots

Guys,

Does anyone know a supplier for screen accurate TOS boots, or someone selling something reasonably similar?

Cheers
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:48 PM   #2
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Re: Costuming - TOS Boots

Don't know of a supplier. But I've seen many screencaps and there is more than one type of TOS boot.

Like the props, there were "hero" boots and other more practical versions.

Some boots had laces, others without. Some apparently for use on set, other boots for use when outdoors on location shooting.

So check which type you'd prefer.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Botany Bay
Commodore

Hey thanks SchwEnt, I didn't know there were lace up versions.

This is, I suppose, the hero pair?

From Wink of an Eye, just after Kirk ticks off hyper-accelerated-aliensex from his bucket list.

As for what type I'm after, just something, anything really, that will do justice to my amazing ANOVOS TOS uniform, and is practical enough to survive a few conventions without breaking any ankles on its possibly intoxicated wearer. Something reasonably close to what we saw on screen will be fine. I am thinking about visiting some women's shoe shops. Explaining what I am after should prove interesting.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old February 19 2014, 02:13 AM   #4
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Right. The lace-ups I recall seeing on Kirk during one of his knockdown fights. I suppose the lace-ups were used so as not to mess up the spiffier standard TOS boots.

I can't recall which eps screencaps I saw. One of Kirk's brawls, damned if I can't remember.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 03:13 AM   #5
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

For what it’s worth, our principal cast on Star Trek Phase II is outfitted mostly with custom made TOS boots from Willies Shoe Service in Hollywood, California. Willies has made all the Star Trek boots for Paramount starting with Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 1979. They continue to make boots if Trekkies are willing to buy them. Expect to pay a nice sum: my boots made by Willie three or four years ago cost about $700. I don’t know what they are running now; I read that they are about $800 now. The good news is that that price is per pair, not per shoe. They can and will make any style—the flatter heel style of the third season, the cool Cuban heel from the first season--whatever you want.

The earliest earliest Desilu TOS boots were bought off the shelf. But early in the first season, they began to be produced by Western Costume. In what will likely be frustrating to you, a year or two ago, Star Trek Phase II entered into a project with Western Costume to have a whole bunch of TOS boots made using the original templates for “a song.” I think the price was a mere $300 if I recall. An order of a certain number had to be guaranteed by us before Western Costume would agree to the deal. In the end, we were just able to scare up enough people willing to pop for the boots. These weren’t custom made, exactly. They were made in a variety of fairly standard sizes. I haven’t heard of any plans to repeat this project.

Other options you have that are really close are Motorcowboy, Caboots, and Beatware. Lastly, sometimes people sell off their TOS boots on ebay. You might get lucky there.

The only lace-ups I’ve seen are Shatner’s as he battles the Gorn and in “Tomorrow Is Yesterday” as he gets into a scuffle at the airbase. So they look to be pressed into service when he has to do stunts. I haven’t checked other TOS fights to see if he wears them in other episodes.

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
Right. The lace-ups I recall seeing on Kirk during one of his knockdown fights. I suppose the lace-ups were used so as not to mess up the spiffier standard TOS boots.

I can't recall which eps screencaps I saw. One of Kirk's brawls, damned if I can't remember.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/

Last edited by GSchnitzer; February 19 2014 at 03:46 AM.
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:18 AM   #6
ZapBrannigan
Captain

Shatner wore lace-up boxer boots for his location scenes in "Arena." I think this was because the episode before last was "Shore Leave," in which his big location fight with Finnegan destroyed a pair of the expensive hero boots. And the show wasn't about to do that again, not on their budget. [Edit: I didn't recall the lace-ups in "Tomorrow is Yesterday." I'll bet Greg has observed TOS more closely than anyone in the world.]

When I was a kid, TOS was my principal point of reference in life for what looked cool. Back then I would have given anything for a pair of Star Trek boots, but not with the "Cuban" heel you see on early Spock and McCoy. That type of angled heel originated with cowboys who needed to keep their feet in the stirrups.

Today I'm over it and would not consider laying out $800 for a pair of boots that I'd have to baby and never scuff. The grownup Zap wants to pay less for footwear that babies him and can go through snow and rain.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:02 AM   #7
Botany Bay
Commodore

GSchnitzer thanks for the plethora of options. May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your planet .
If ever there is another run of the authentic ones with Western Costuming and you need numbers, please count me in.

If I can't find something locally, you've given me plenty of choices. Thanks again.
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old February 19 2014, 02:09 PM   #8
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I'll keep you posted if Western Costume does another boot run.

In the meantime, here are Kirk's lace-ups from "Tomorrow Is Yesterday:"

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer thanks for the plethora of options. May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your planet .
If ever there is another run of the authentic ones with Western Costuming and you need numbers, please count me in.

If I can't find something locally, you've given me plenty of choices. Thanks again.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 10:00 PM   #9
AtoZ
Commander

SchwEnt wrote: View Post

The guards had on the laces in The Alternative Factor and Spock wore them all throughout This Side of Paradise. Then of course Kirk wore them in Arena.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 12:26 PM   #10
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Go girl boots.

Say you're shopping for pirate boots. They won't believe you but who cares.

Real good girl boots are about $300 but you can shop at Target (Australia) for < $100 and you can try them on without the aid of a shop assistant.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Botany Bay
Commodore

Commish, I took your advice and trawled every women's shoe department in Sydney, but sadly my feet are too wide. It was a good idea, there were so many that would have been perfect, but my fat feet made it impossible in even the biggest sizes. Was worth it for some of the reactions I got from people when they asked what I was looking for, though

I found an old fashioned bootmaker (there is one left in the whole city) who was intrigued, but he wanted $2,000

I had almost given up, then I started googling for "boots" rather than "Star Trek boots", and found something called the "Funtasma Captain - 100".
Only $45 + $15 shipping. Looks pretty close to GSchnitzer's pic, and the price is right for something I'm going to wear a couple of times a year max.

Thanks all for the suggestions
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old April 30 2014, 02:15 PM   #12
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Congratulations.
Let us know how they go when you get them.
I'm interested in case I ever need a pair and the price seems very good.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 02:24 PM   #13
bbailey861
Admiral

Very good deal. Yes, let us know how they are. This would be a great costume addition.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2014, 03:05 PM   #14
Mario de Monti
Captain

You might also want to look at riding boots:

Just a thought ...
Old April 30 2014, 09:05 PM   #15
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Something that should be noted about the boots Shatner is wearing in the first pic; It is very hard to see in that pic, but the hero boots had a zipper up the inside that was ignored as "such fasteners no longer exist", much the way the zippers on the tunics were ignored. One has to look closely to see them, but they are there.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote