Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 16 2014, 04:43 PM   #16
The Overlord
Captain

Re: Should a New Star Trek show be willing to kill off major character

HIjol wrote: View Post
There you go...the reluctance of the franchise powers that be to truly and finally kill...though, it would be interesting to view an alternate timeline where main characters WERE killed off, how things unfolded from that point...oh!...wait!...if we were to just slingshot around the sun, and come out of warp at the exact...

<sigh>...next life...
That is why I am talking about a change in attitude, making Star Trek more akin to a modern show then some show from the 60s or 80s. We have shows on TV where death matters, characters die and that changes the entire direction of the show, those characters don't come back. So having Star Trek still be a show, where death will just be undone by the next episodes, makes it seem kinda out of touch by comparison.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 08:42 PM   #17
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I remember reading that in B5 all the characters had a means of writing them out, I think the next series should have something similar, as actors will want to pursue other careers--whilst others will get so hacked off with the series that they phone in their performances, making fans wish they'd been killed off.
Old February 17 2014, 10:18 AM   #18
HIjol
Rear Admiral

Location: Where "Mother Nature doesn't care if (I'm) having fun." LN

Carl Sagan; US astronomer
and popularizer of astronomy (1934-1996)

Last edited by HIjol; February 17 2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: comment in wrong place
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 10:22 AM   #19
HIjol
Rear Admiral

Location: Where "Mother Nature doesn't care if (I'm) having fun." LN

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^So this thread can kill it.

...yeah, but there is that powerful letter-writing campaign that would just bring it back to life...again and again...'course, nowadays it would most likely be emails and mind-melds...wonder if it would have the same effect...

Carl Sagan; US astronomer
and popularizer of astronomy (1934-1996)
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 12:49 PM   #20
2takesfrakes
Commodore

The next STAR TREK series has to keep pushing not television's boundaries, so much, as its own. Traditionally, and this is even present in ENTERPRISE, everything is so obviously staged and acted, at times. And the padding of shows has absolutely got to stop. It's got to be more "realistic" looking, more interesting content-wise, particularly when it comes to the inevitable "econo-episodes," and it has to be exciting. Part of that can and probably should be seeing characters die whom we do not wish to see die.
Old March 4 2014, 01:43 AM   #21
soapp
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I feel like TV shows which try to kill characters go over board, some don't do it at all others seem to only do that.

I think it has to be well balance, so that it has more impact. And well done, we know Tasha Yaar has it cheep.
soapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 03:52 AM   #22
BigJake
Vice Admiral

I figure the way it should work is, the Science Officer position on a new show should be like Defense Against the Dark Arts in Harry Potter or like the drummer for Spinal Tap. Just rotate guest stars through that ish like no tomorrow.
Old March 5 2014, 03:21 AM   #23
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

T'Cal wrote: View Post
I have to disagree about Data's death being lame in NEM. That B4 was there, cheaped the plot but Data's sacrice to save his ship and crewmates was nothing short of the most human thing he had ever done. NEM has many problems but it has a few great scenes, both on screen and in the cut scenes.
Actually, sacrificing yourself to save a greater number of people is a very machine thing to do. The human thing to do would be to listen to your biological sense of self-preservation and not sacrifice yourself.

Anyway, yes. Absolutely a new series should kill main characters off to keep the series interesting. We've had enough Ensign Rickys over the years.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 02:34 PM   #24
Non-Beard Riker
Lieutenant Junior Grade

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
The next STAR TREK series has to keep pushing not television's boundaries, so much, as its own.
Of course! Star Trek should push the boundaries by copying Breaking Bad and House of Cards.
Non-Beard Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 09:28 PM   #25
BigJake
Vice Admiral

Non-Beard Riker wrote: View Post
The next STAR TREK series has to keep pushing not television's boundaries, so much, as its own.
Of course! Star Trek should push the boundaries by copying Breaking Bad and House of Cards.
Castle. My vote is for Castle.
Old March 6 2014, 06:36 PM   #26
Into Darkness
Captain

Should be like walking dead when it comes to character deaths. We get to know everyone well and then boom they're dead, someone else comes in and we get to know them and boom one of the others we knew well are dead.
Walking dead is so awesome.
Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 12:09 AM   #27
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Every time the Federation Council is featured in the new series, it should be exactly like a episode of House of Cards, with some Throne of Swords thrown in too.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 01:21 AM   #28
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Should be like walking dead when it comes to character deaths. We get to know everyone well and then boom they're dead, someone else comes in and we get to know them and boom one of the others we knew well are dead.
Walking dead is so awesome.
I agree The Walking Dead is great, but, I don't think we need to turn Trek into that big a bloodbath.

Certainly, deaths or reassignments should not be avoided (Riker being offered his own ship several times and turning it down, for example), but, going to the "Let's kill someone to keep things interesting" trough too regularly can be just as lazy and poor writing as being unwilling to ever kill kill any Main Character. The Walking Dead's very premise pretty much demands so many deaths, but, for a new Trek Series, I think that would be going a step too far, to do it on regular basis to kill off 3-5 main characters every season.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 06:18 PM   #29
The Overlord
Captain

We are in the golden age of television, so if Star Trek is going to constantly play things safe and have character shields were certain characters can't die no matter what, it may Star Trek is stuck in the past and get left behind.

I think part of the reason Star Trek imploded in the early 2000s, is that the shows were playing it too safe, rather then taking real risks.

No one is saying Star Trek has to a copy of Breaking Bad or House of Cards, but maybe Star Trek should more like show from today, rather then trying to be an 80s or 60s TV show in this decade.

Last edited by The Overlord; March 8 2014 at 07:00 PM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 11:36 PM   #30
Maxillius
Commander

DS9 almost did that when they somewhat killed Sisko off at the end, but we all know he'd be back in part 2 of the season 8 opener if there was a season 8. I like the idea of writing in some realistic characters. For example, Tom Paris on Voyager was never a believable failure. He was just as squeaky clean as everyone else there. Oh, he zigged when he should've zagged (twice) but he never seemed to be prison-worthy. And I have to believe Picard would've kept more of his cocky younger self at heart, even after the fight, instead of completely changing who he was.

I want to see flawed characters. I want to see a squeaky-clean ensign sobered up to the realities of space exploration by being forced to kill his friends over and over in an alien simulation. A first officer who is new to the 23rd century after his Romulan War-era escape pod is pulled into a wormhole on the edge of battle. A dirty captain who never lets on his debt to the Orions until they nearly destroy the ship, killing him in the process. Or, scratch all that and give me Kurtzman & Orci's take on DS9. Basically, what I want is 5 parts Star Trek, 3 parts Firefly, 1 part CSI with a dash of NCIS.
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote