Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 16 2014, 07:06 AM   #16
TheSubCommander
Captain

Re: If you could only have one: Transporter or Holodeck

Why not a holodeck that you can program to recreate a functional transporter?
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 08:55 AM   #17
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

Thanks, bbjeg...sometimes it is the needs of the few!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry

Last edited by Sleigh Ride; February 16 2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Wrong wording
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 09:57 AM   #18
CTGuyton
Lieutenant Commander

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
obviously, the holodeck, because I'm next to certain that I can get it to show me how to BUILD a transporter, phasers, warp drive, etc. I'ma have it ALL.
Thinking outside the box to get it all! Like the guy who finds a genie and uses one of his three wishes for more wishes!

I'm a fairly poor person. The transporter would be great because I'd get to go to so many places I'll never be able to, but I would get to do that in the holodeck also. The difference being, I can program some more money in my pocket in the holodeck to really be able to enjoy it! Or do crazy things like walk a tightrope over the grand canyon. Thank God for safety features! Play in the Superbowl! Play in classic Superbowls! Could you imagine, "The Catch" being a pass from the great Joe Montana to me!
CTGuyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 04:49 PM   #19
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

CTGuyton wrote: View Post
obviously, the holodeck, because I'm next to certain that I can get it to show me how to BUILD a transporter, phasers, warp drive, etc. I'ma have it ALL.
Thinking outside the box to get it all! Like the guy who finds a genie and uses one of his three wishes for more wishes!

I'm a fairly poor person. The transporter would be great because I'd get to go to so many places I'll never be able to, but I would get to do that in the holodeck also. The difference being, I can program some more money in my pocket in the holodeck to really be able to enjoy it! Or do crazy things like walk a tightrope over the grand canyon. Thank God for safety features! Play in the Superbowl! Play in classic Superbowls! Could you imagine, "The Catch" being a pass from the great Joe Montana to me!
In a game where the lead shifted back and forth repeatedly, the Federation took over the ball at their own 11-yard line trailing 27–21. UFP marched down to the Dallas 6-yard line, where they faced third down and three with 58 seconds left on the clock. When Joe Montana took the snap, the play, known as Sprint Right Option, was intended to be a pass to wide receiver Elias Zefram Cochrane; earlier in the game, "Warp Drive" Cochrane, son of the famous inventor of warp drive, had scored a touchdown on that play. However, the Cowboys covered Cochrane perfectly. Making matters worse, the pass rush of the Cowboys collapsed the Planet's offensive line. Two of the Cowboys defensive ends Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Larry Bethea, plus linebacker D. D. Lewis chased a backpedalling Montana toward the sideline, and seemed certain to either send him out of bounds or sack him. But at the last moment, and after pump-faking to get 6-foot 9-inch "Too Tall" Jones to jump, Montana threw a high pass to the back of the end zone that seemed destined to sail out of bounds until UFP receiver C. T. Guyton
made a leaping touchdown grab with his fingertips to tie the game with 51 seconds left. The ensuing extra point by kicker Reginald "Broccoli" Barclay gave the Federation a 28–27 lead. Guyton finished the game with 8 catches for 120 yards and 2 touchdowns.
The play, remembered in Federation lore as "Red Right Tight – was recreated, after a fashion, during a particularly heated game of "Parrises Squares" on Star Trek TNG...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 04:51 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Thank God for safety features!
Of course, those safety features break down at least once a season, whereas the transporter only rarely splits you in two.
Old February 16 2014, 05:16 PM   #21
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Thank God for safety features!
Of course, those safety features break down at least once a season, whereas the transporter only rarely splits you in two.
My holodeck would have an external power plug or physical power switch if I have to wire the danged thing in myself.
Old February 16 2014, 07:52 PM   #22
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

My immediate, knee-jerk reaction is:

"Ha! Obviously the Holodeck! This is easy!"

However, then I comprehend the uses of the transporter...

1. Being able to go anywhere. No commuting, no hours and hours of my life wasted in traffic or delays or just merely travelling.
  2. Expense. I could have a holiday, to Barbados...right now. Just the price of a hotel...if I decided to stay there..I COULD just transport home to bed and beam back at will.
  3. I'd never be late for anything. Ever.
  4. Did I forget my ticket to this gig? Oh no worries, Ill just beam home and get it and be back in about 7 seconds.
  5. The gifts I could buy my G/F would be epic. Belgian chocolate cake for dessert? How does visiting the Colliseum tonight sound? Hell the holidays would be epic.
  6. There is a sort of magic factor to it as well. As in, you could visit places you would never realistically visit. Victoria Falls? Sure. Summit of Everest? Better wrap up! Vladivostok? Sure. Middle of a jungle? Why not!

The holodeck would be incredible. Your only limit would be your imagination. However...none of it is real. I'd kill for a holodeck....but the transporter would practically be so much more useful.
#1. DS9 #2. TNG #3. VOY #4.ENT #5.TOS
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
TheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 08:27 PM   #23
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post

I don't understand why there is still a debate - I thought I won the thread.

Step 1: Bring some bulk raw materials into your holodeck from the outside world.
Step 2. Have the holodeck generate a machine or machines that can take those raw materials and process them into equipment.
Step 3. Have the machine make these items in this order:

1. 24th century power generation system of some kind - ask the holodeck computer what is appropriate - suitable to run a shuttlecraft. Probably a small warp or anti-matter reactor.
2. A shuttle shield generator. As soon as this is complete, set up the shield generator and the reactor outside the holodeck to defend it with.
3. A hand phaser. Power it up from the reactor, then use it to defend the holodeck and reactor. Probably unnecessary with the shield, but let's not tempt it.
4. A small launch vehicle, a small mobile satellite armed with shield and a phaser, sensors, and a handheld control unit. Send those up to better defend the whole setup and provide sensor data for the next step.
5. Now you make your transporter. It can be a single platform, and this can use up the last of the raw materials you brought in, because from this point forward, you can beam in any additional material needed.

I'm going to stop here, because I think it is pretty obvious how to continue at this point to get to having your own starship in orbit, as well as to conquering Earth.
Old February 16 2014, 08:39 PM   #24
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

I don't understand why there is still a debate - I thought I won the thread.

Step 1: Bring some bulk raw materials into your holodeck from the outside world.
Step 2. Have the holodeck generate a machine or machines that can take those raw materials and process them into equipment.
Step 3. Have the machine make these items in this order:

1. 24th century power generation system of some kind - ask the holodeck computer what is appropriate - suitable to run a shuttlecraft. Probably a small warp or anti-matter reactor.
2. A shuttle shield generator. As soon as this is complete, set up the shield generator and the reactor outside the holodeck to defend it with.
3. A hand phaser. Power it up from the reactor, then use it to defend the holodeck and reactor. Probably unnecessary with the shield, but let's not tempt it.
4. A small launch vehicle, a small mobile satellite armed with shield and a phaser, sensors, and a handheld control unit. Send those up to better defend the whole setup and provide sensor data for the next step.
5. Now you make your transporter. It can be a single platform, and this can use up the last of the raw materials you brought in, because from this point forward, you can beam in any additional material needed.

I'm going to stop here, because I think it is pretty obvious how to continue at this point to get to having your own starship in orbit, as well as to conquering Earth.

Im going to assume than the holodeck is incapable of inventing new technology by itself without some proper programming our outside stimuli to provoke such development.

Even Geordi worked WITH Leah Brahms....he didnt just drop some pens and paper and say "Yo babe, Im going to grab a pint in ten-forward, have my problem fixed when I get back".
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. - Gene Roddenberry
Old February 16 2014, 08:43 PM   #25
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Holodeck. It's less likely to kill you if something goes wrong.

Just ask the families of Sonak and Lori Ciana (from ST:TMP) how safe transporters supposedly are.

Sure, a transporter would allow you to get somewhere instantly, but I would settle for a functioning mass-transit system. Again: less likely to kill you in the event of malfunction.
Old February 16 2014, 08:47 PM   #26
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Holodeck. It's less likely to kill you if something goes wrong.

Just ask the families of Sonak and Lori Ciana (from ST:TMP) how safe transporters supposedly are.

Sure, a transporter would allow you to get somewhere instantly, but I would settle for a functioning mass-transit system. Again: less likely to kill you in the event of malfunction.

Hey, at least the transporter wont send angry Nazi's at you every time a firmware update goes wonky.
Old February 16 2014, 08:50 PM   #27
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Besides, transit-obsessed that I am, sometimes it's *fun* to take a train that takes a bit of time to get where you're going. I'm not necessarily talking about, say, the 4 train at rush hour in NYC, just a leisurely train ride. That can actually be fun. Transporters would do away with all that.
Old February 16 2014, 08:56 PM   #28
TheGoodStuff
Lieutenant Commander

Besides, transit-obsessed that I am, sometimes it's *fun* to take a train that takes a bit of time to get where you're going. I'm not necessarily talking about, say, the 4 train at rush hour in NYC, just a leisurely train ride. That can actually be fun. Transporters would do away with all that.

You have actually reminded me of a thought I have in regards to Earth in ST. I love the thought that all the roads are gone. Or atleast, greatly reduced and minimalized. No more landscape ripped apart and divided up, no more animals getting killed by cars.

Are'nt train-like machines still in service by the 24th century? They are just super fast, non-polluting etc?
Old February 16 2014, 09:11 PM   #29
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Im going to assume than the holodeck is incapable of inventing new technology by itself without some proper programming our outside stimuli to provoke such development.
Who said anything about NEW technology? I asked and HIjol stipulated that the holodeck would have access to the 24th century databases. The material processing machines are basically just replicators - I think the holodeck can whip one of those up, and if the materials it draws from to generate objects are non-holographic matter, then the objects should be, too.

(This is a modification of an idea I've had about Green Lantern's ring in the past, too. There was this whole plotline where the Green Lantern named Kyle Rayner gave this guy back his legs using the ring, but the legs were made of green energy, and the next time Kyle's ring lost all of its charge, the guys legs disappeared. Stupid, stupid, stupid. You don't will legs into existence, you have the ring draw on the huge database of stuff that the Guardians that created it knew about to will into existence a machine capable of pulling raw materials from the air and making the guy some new REAL legs. )
Old February 16 2014, 09:13 PM   #30
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

You have actually reminded me of a thought I have in regards to Earth in ST. I love the thought that all the roads are gone.
The roads are not gone. We saw San Francisco in detail in STID, and it still had roads - with cars, pedestrians, trains, the whole shebang.