Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 18 2014, 07:45 PM   #61
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Spectre of the Gun" set "West of Mars"?

I think actual ghost-town locations would've been more for movies. TV shows could rarely afford the expense of going more than a certain distance from LA, so TV Westerns would generally have relied on backlots and on nearby locations like Vasquez Rocks, Bronson Canyon, and the like.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 08:04 PM   #62
urbandefault
Captain

It could have worked in a backlot setting, but I don't think it would have been as effective.

Here is a panoramic view of the "40 Acres" western town set circa 1965.

http://www.retroweb.com/40acres/40ac...ama_b_1965.jpg
Old February 18 2014, 09:06 PM   #63
Christopher
Writer

Would Paramount have still been using 40 Acres when "Spectre" was filmed in May 1968? Paramount sold it off to a different owner sometime that year, and neither Star Trek nor Mission: Impossible used it after their 1966-7 seasons. If "Spectre" had used a backlot Western street, it would probably have been the one on Paramount's own lot.

Old February 18 2014, 10:08 PM   #64
urbandefault
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Would Paramount have still been using 40 Acres when "Spectre" was filmed in May 1968? Paramount sold it off to a different owner sometime that year, and neither Star Trek nor Mission: Impossible used it after their 1966-7 seasons. If "Spectre" had used a backlot Western street, it would probably have been the one on Paramount's own lot.
No idea. That's just the first one I thought of and knew where to find the pic.
Old February 19 2014, 03:28 AM   #65
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Re. DC's opinion of LiS, is there a biography of her? She seems like a quality-oriented person. She rose from the ranks of what, GR's secretary? But did she have a background in writing before that?
Old February 19 2014, 03:39 AM   #66
Harvey
Admiral

In regards to the series being easily able to shoot on the backlot, the budget wouldn't have supported it. The other episodes that shot on the backlot (Miri, Archons, and City) all broke $200,000 according to my figures. That was over the first season budget and well over the third season budget.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 04:18 AM   #67
Christopher
Writer

plynch wrote: View Post
Re. DC's opinion of LiS, is there a biography of her? She seems like a quality-oriented person. She rose from the ranks of what, GR's secretary? But did she have a background in writing before that?
IMDb says she has TV writing credits going back to 1960. She was already a writer when she became GR's secretary.

Harvey wrote: View Post
In regards to the series being easily able to shoot on the backlot, the budget wouldn't have supported it. The other episodes that shot on the backlot (Miri, Archons, and City) all broke $200,000 according to my figures. That was over the first season budget and well over the third season budget.
What about the second-season episodes with exteriors shot on the Paramount lot, like "Piece of the Action" or "Patterns of Force" or "Assignment: Earth"? As I've said, I don't think Paramount still owned the Culver City backlot by the time "Spectre" was made, so there was no chance it would've been shot there anyway. The budgetary comparison should therefore be to episodes shot on the Paramount lot itself.

Old February 20 2014, 07:10 AM   #68
Harvey
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
What about the second-season episodes with exteriors shot on the Paramount lot, like "Piece of the Action" or "Patterns of Force" or "Assignment: Earth"? As I've said, I don't think Paramount still owned the Culver City backlot by the time "Spectre" was made, so there was no chance it would've been shot there anyway. The budgetary comparison should therefore be to episodes shot on the Paramount lot itself.
Unfortunately, I don't have the budget figures of "Patterns of Force" or "A Piece of the Action" at the moment (there's a big swath of season two episodes that aren't on the Roddenberry side of the UCLA collection, although I have high hopes that the Justman papers will fill in the gaps).

The figure I have for "Assignment: Earth," somewhat implausibly, indicates it was the most expensive episode of the series outside of the two pilot episodes. Clearly more research is required there.

Old February 20 2014, 08:18 AM   #69
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^Let's see Seven's office suite, the launch center exteriors and control room, the pen prop, the street set location, the gantry and the chunk of the rocket, trained animal and wrangler, new visual effects, rear projection...I can see where it would be more expensive than usual.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 09:46 AM   #70
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Yes, and also would Lansing and Garr have cost more than the standard guest star? I mean, they were effectively the stars of the "pilot".
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 11:13 AM   #71
Christopher
Writer

Wasn't Lansing the only TOS guest star to get a credit at the top of Act I? That would surely have entailed a higher salary than normal.

Old February 20 2014, 05:19 PM   #72
Harvey
Admiral

Maybe. But the figure I have, from memory, was close to $300,000. WAY over budget, obviously.

Old February 20 2014, 09:12 PM   #73
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Maybe. But the figure I have, from memory, was close to $300,000. WAY over budget, obviously.
You showed me those figures...I don't think it was anywhere near $300K, more like $240K. But I'm on a writer's retreat this week so not near my main computer, so I can't look at the docs there, and gmail is being a $#^& right now, so I can't look in my mail archive.

CORRECTION:

Assignment: Earth — $288,049.00 (estimated)
The City On the Edge of Forever — $250,396.71 (actual)
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; February 21 2014 at 12:47 AM.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 05:18 AM   #74
Harvey
Admiral

Yep, those are the numbers I have. I actually have copies of all the budget information about "Assignment: Earth" (at least, those from the Roddenberry half of the archives) in my possession now, because the cost seemed a little bewildering.

Old February 22 2014, 07:19 AM   #75
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Just wanted to make a little aside in the thread and say thanks to excellent discussion going on in this thread I was drawn to go and watch "Spectre..." and "The Empath" tonight. Both episodes are ones I didn't really like much as kid and so I've just sort of continued to skip over them. I think I like "Spectre..." now that I've really given it a proper re-watch. "The Empath" still isn't all that hot and much of it feels like it belongs in an Outer Limits episode not Trek. However I fully enjoyed the use of minimalism, eerie shadows and light, etc.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote