Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: 13 Episodes in One Day?
Too much, stupid idea. 4 10.81%
Too much, I'm in heaven. 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 15 2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Netflix Dropping Seasons in One Day... Good or Bad?

Netflix's Original Programming is not necessarily as double plus good as the press proclaims, but eating 10 hours over a long weekend has a certain appeal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_by_Netflix

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 09:06 PM   #2
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: Netflix Dropping Seasons in One Day... Good or Bad?

I look at season long "drops" the way I look at novels. something to savor in one gulp or a long month, all at my discretion.

At least when netflix drops us a season, we KNOW we'll see it through, and not get hooked for half the run, just to have it pulled cuz the ratings don't stun the suits upstairs. (Yes, Fox, I'm thinking of Firefly. )

The interminable wait between seasons seems interminable only because we aren't used to it in TV, and yet we accept it in our literary world.

But hey... we've "Got Time".

Think of all the roads
Think of all their crossings
Taking steps is easy
Standing still is hard
Remember all their faces
Remember all their voices
Everything is different
The second time around

The animals, the animals
Trapped, trapped, trapped 'till the cage is full
The cage is full
Stay awake
In the dark, count mistakes
The light was off but now it's on
Searching the ground for a bitter song
The sun is out, the day is new
And everyone is waiting, waiting on you
And you've got time
And you've got time
And you've got time

Season Two of Orange Is The New Black begins JUNE 6th!!!!!!!!!
Old February 15 2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Marten
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Netflix's Original Programming is not necessarily as double plus good as the press proclaims, but eating 10 hours over a long weekend has a certain appeal.

We can still choose. The only problem för me is that it gets incredibly difficult to discuss shows with friends. No one has ever seen the same amount of episodes at the same time.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 10:44 PM   #4
clint g
Admiral

Greatest policy ever. Sometimes I have alot of free time. If I do, I can blow through a season. If I don't have free time I can spread it out.
Old February 15 2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Brolan
Commodore

It would be more fun to drop them in a measured way. So people can discuss the shows together. For instance I don't dare go into the House of Cards thread because I'm watching the Olympics and haven't seen a single episode, while some of the people there have already seen the entire season.

Last edited by Brolan; February 15 2014 at 11:55 PM.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 10:59 PM   #6
Shanndee
Commodore

I love being able to marathon a show I enjoy. I agree with JanewayRulz!...there is a certain comfort to knowing that I will be able to finish a full season without a network pulling the plug!

It does make discussing shows more difficult, but that is something I'm more than happy to deal with.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm at least a year ahead of my entire country with most shows.

It's alienating, when they talk about fresh crap I fangasmed over 16 months ago.

My life is how telepaths who can see the future feel when they are slumming it with mundanes.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 11:14 PM   #8
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Marten wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

We can still choose. The only problem för me is that it gets incredibly difficult to discuss shows with friends. No one has ever seen the same amount of episodes at the same time.
This is why I don't like it. I can't watch 12 episodes in a day like some people with way too much free time. Then there are spoilers for a whole season. I'd do two episodes a week, maybe 3 and that would be best.
Old February 15 2014, 11:20 PM   #9
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think it's good for Netflix, but I wouldn't want all tv to be this way.

The discuss as it goes along dynamic is harder, but I'm used to LOST and The Wire, where more people watched on DVDs than live. For LOST, I can comment both ways since many of my friends caught up through DVDs, but were there to watch the last season live. It's nice to have everyone react at the same time, but I've done the "where are you now" conversation and it works too.
Old February 16 2014, 01:17 AM   #10
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Has someone who lives in a very noisy flat it is really good for me to be able to stick my headphones on a blitz though a show instead of walking around town in this cold,wet and windy weather we are having in the UK at the moment.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 03:43 AM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Giving the viewer control is a good thing.

i agree, there is something fun about being teased week to week and having that whole week to anticipate what happens next and to discuss it with your friends.

But on the other hand, it sucks when writers take advantage of that week delay to create unearned tension and drama. I'm more than happy to take that tool away from them.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 05:10 AM   #12
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm not entirely sure it's unearned. It's a convention, but it's one that's existed for a long time so the writers have structured their script to take advantage of it. But it still takes a good writer to truly take advantage of it.

Interestingly, there was a study that found commercial breaks makes shows more enjoyable of the pause.
Old February 16 2014, 05:16 AM   #13
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Some good arguments on both sides but I like having full seasons all at once. The only reason I watch some shows live is so I can discuss them. With shows I don't discuss, I usually save up a full season before I watch.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

With season six of the Clone Wars dropping in one fell swoop a few weeks from now, I considered portioning the 13 episodes out -- one a week -- as if they were on a traditional TV network, to better stretch my enjoyment of said episodes to the fullest...

BUT my own self-awareness set in and quickly dispelled that whimsical notion. It's been nearly a year since I've gotten my Clone War fix and I will marathon the hell out of that show when it arrives. I've already written off the days following March 7 as a lost weekend.

Netflix is changing television shows from Advent calendars into Christmas morning.

I vote Good.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 06:23 AM   #15
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

I'd like to discuss slang like "drop" that arises with the opposite meaning of what it used to mean. A 1969 article that might have read, "NBC drops Star Trek" meant something very much more tragic. Similar to "drop," some people use "street" as a verb for new product releases. Kicked to the curb used to mean something else entirely. "Street" is less confusing than "drop," despite my pet peeve of people verbing nouns like "Google." But I suppose "street" is not really accurate for downloadable product. It's more accurate for physical product you have to walk down the "street" to buy from the local huckster. That said, it's still quite an annoying term.

But why I'm really here is that I read the title of this thread as meaning "Netflix Will No Longer Release Seasons in One Day... Good or Bad?" I thought it would be another complaint about Netflix taking away something people really want. I had to read on to understand that "drop" really means make available. So I'm relieved they're not doing another dumb corporate thing. But "drop" sounds like one of those words Marketing makes up because it sounds cool or something. Like "street." It sounds so "big city," like you're in some black and white film noir movie. "Drop 'im, Bugsy and let's hit the street."
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote