TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 20 2014, 03:53 PM   #91
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: If Doctor Who was an American show from the beginning

Christina Hendricks. Introduced under Whedon's tenure, mind you.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 10:32 PM   #92
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
Would who has lasted 50 years as an American show,it would have bad ratings somewhere and just like the original series got canned because of the ratings.
Possible, or as I said above on the previous page:

And what if it changed the TV landscape of the time? For instance, Star Trek was created in 1966 to compete with Doctor Who in the ratings, and they both became sort of a long-running "Gunsmoke"-type of thing, competing against each other and keeping each show alive for decades? Then Kirk and crew handed the reins over to TNG, and Trek flourished while Doctor Who floundered in the late 80's......
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 10:37 PM   #93
Roddenberry
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know why, but I'd love to see a Giovanni Ribisi version of The Master.
Roddenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 12:11 AM   #94
davejames
Vice Admiral

I have to admit, an American version of the show would be very interesting to see.

I'm guessing if it was created back in the 60s it would have been more of a straightforward, Time Tunnel-style adventure show though. With lots of corny humor and the typical, dashing male lead.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 03:51 AM   #95
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
Would who has lasted 50 years as an American show,it would have bad ratings somewhere and just like the original series got canned because of the ratings.
Possible, or as I said above on the previous page:

And what if it changed the TV landscape of the time? For instance, Star Trek was created in 1966 to compete with Doctor Who in the ratings, and they both became sort of a long-running "Gunsmoke"-type of thing, competing against each other and keeping each show alive for decades? Then Kirk and crew handed the reins over to TNG, and Trek flourished while Doctor Who floundered in the late 80's......
In this universe Star Trek is a BBC program.
Old February 21 2014, 10:16 PM   #96
Flibble
Fleet Captain

Some interesting ideas. Maybe I would go for Edward Mulhare as Doctor No 3 and Martthew Gray Gubler as Doctor 11.
Flibble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 10:23 PM   #97
publiusr
Rear Admiral

Stevil2001 wrote: View Post
I really like the idea of Gene Wilder and Sam Rockwell.
Gene is the only one I can see as the doctor. Vincent was going to be in Dr. Who and the Scratchman
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 10:26 PM   #98
publiusr
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
What shape would the Tardis have been? Is there a comparable American object of similar size?
Bingo

Now imagine Karl Pilkington (sporting a fez) coming out of that with Ricky and Steven poking their heads out around the back and laughing.

Adric comes running up (alive somehow) and says.

Doctor..pant pant...the Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans have all joined forces to attack the Earth! What ever shall we do?

Karl--as the Doctor: "I'm not bothered."

And really, Warwick should have replaced the teenager in Two and a Half Men.
Old March 1 2014, 11:16 PM   #99
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ I know people are probably tired of him but I'd love to see a Karl Pilkington Doctor. I'm already imagining some of the comments he'd make in his travels through the Whoverse. He'd have to have a TARDIS where he couldn't control the destination and be forced to have a go of wherever it landed.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 12:22 PM   #100
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

You guys. Now every time I see a toilet put up at a weird place for a toilet, e.g. because there's a construction site, I am going to think the American Doctor Who came to visit.
Old March 3 2014, 06:51 PM   #101
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

In the name of seriousness, I think the 1930's wood-paneled phone booth is a better idea for an American TARDIS. The port-o-potty is funny, but if it were a real show...you know that wouldn't be it.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 07:24 PM   #102
Redfern
Commodore

Thanks, STtNGFan. Without researching TOO deeply, I reasoned what would be the closest analog to a police box in the US of 1963. Since America did not employ police boxes by that time (though it supposedly developed them in the late 19th century), I figured the next best thing would have to be a commercial pay phone booth. But the brushed metal and glass with blue and/or red accents would look too state of the art. No, you'd want something that looked "old" in '63. Thus the all but phased out wooden boxes would "parallel" better with the equally "old" police boxes.

Tangently related, my town's regional hospital, despite being remodeled over the years retains a pair of wooden phone boxes in the main lounge area as a bit of nostalgia. Really! The pay phones were removed years ago since nearly everyone uses cells, but they still stand there with their folding doors. I think it's great idea. One can use them if they wish to keep their phone conversation a bit more private and avoid disturbing others.

Those antiquated booths kinda' gave me the idea.

Originally, I assumed those "vacu-formed/blow molded" portable toilets were invented in the 1970s or later. But the Wiki' article (which I know is NOT an infallible source of irrefutable information) states "the first US patent for a polyethylene plastic portable restroom was issued in the 1960s to George Harding, who was a co-founder of PolyJohn Corporation with Ed Cooper and George Hiskes." (It did not pinpoint an exact year, so they MIGHT have existed in late 1963.) But a phone booth is just a bit more classy.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti

Last edited by Redfern; March 3 2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Researched the creation date of portable toilets
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:58 PM   #103
publiusr
Rear Admiral

But as a prop--they are mass produced--easily blown up for some episodes and easily replaced. TARDIS props have been more of a bother.
Old March 28 2014, 02:58 AM   #104
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

What about some of the female companion like sarah jane and rose,what actress would played them from susan to clara?.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 11:12 AM   #105
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Sarah Jane? Dawn Wells. Leela? Julie Newmar. Romana I? Lee Meriwether Romana II? Stephanie Powers.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote