Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 18 2014, 03:23 PM   #76
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: If Doctor Who was an American show from the beginning

I think the next fun exercise would be casting the various Doctors as American/Canadian women.

I could see Agnes Moorhead as the first Doctor in such an alternate univese.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 09:40 PM   #77
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
It isn't about them being equivalent, but the overall change in the show they brought with them. He wouldn't be playing Tennant's Doctor, but rather the alternative 10th and the successor to the more understated and 'fierce' first modern Doctor: younger, hipper, more energetic and theatrical; full of bravado and ego.
It works in that context all right. I personally have been looking at it as an exercise in who would be the nearest to playing the role as their real-life counterpoints, which is why I made my earlier comment. But everyone is dealing with the thread a little differently, which is cool.
Old February 19 2014, 12:46 AM   #78
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

In the OP/Article they seem to be torn between the two concepts. At once wanting to make an American parody out of the alternate universe show and yet also playing it straight with other picks. I lean towards the latter approach, taking into context the actor's careers around that point in time as well as the desired tone of each Doctor. For example, I can't imagine Jeff Goldblum circa Independence Day as in any way comparable to McGann, nor was his career at a point where he was perceived as a viable leading man in this kind of a project. He would have been better suited to the Master. A little tricky coming up with someone who would have been a good pick around that point that wasn't either too big for the role or already committed to a show that made their career in the mid 90s. Bryan Cranston was around back then doing soap and coffee creamer commercials and appearing in guest spots on everything from Seinfeld to Babylon 5, I wonder if in this alternate universe he might have been discovered for the role and then faded back into obscurity until a few years later when Malcom in the Middle and Breaking Bad made him a household name.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 09:53 PM   #79
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I agree with you entirely that there's no real similarity or comparison between McGann and Goldblum. But I could see the logic in choosing Goldblum for this (admittedly odd) reason (probably nothing to do with the OP's reasoning). I think McGann was chosen in 1996 partly to evoke Tom Baker. Both were about the same age when cast, both from Liverpool. Paul's hair was long and flowing like Tom. He was kind of like a more photogenic version.

In the original article, the Fourth Doctor was Gene Wilder. So if in this alternate universe, they also opted to cast a Doctor who was reminiscent of the hugely popular Fourth Doctor - I can see why they'd go for Jeff, as his curly hair and Jewish features might vaguely recall Gene Wilder. in the same general way as McGann echoes Baker.

But otherwise - I agree with you, McGann and Goldblum aren't really two of a kind.
Old February 19 2014, 10:07 PM   #80
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Yet, I think one or two people on this board have said in the past that Goldblum would make a good Doctor. I could see him in the 1996 one-off, to be honest, even if he isn't the mirror image to Paul McGann.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 11:37 PM   #81
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

For me it is more of an issue of what kind of roles Goldblum was known for at that time. Neurotics, intellectuals, new money yuppy types, etc. There was nothing especially adventurous, exciting or 'romantic' about him, and his leading man days were all but over.

In '85 perhaps, but not '95.

I don't really see much comparison between Baker and McGann to base your argument on. McGann's Doctor in the TV movie was basically what an American imagines Doctor Who to be if they have never seen an episode. The uninformed imagination jumps straight to H.G. Wells, and McGann is very much in the vein of that.

I'm also very aware that this thread is one of the more pathetically geeky moments of my life.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old February 20 2014, 02:22 AM   #82
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

Would who has lasted 50 years as an American show,it would have bad ratings somewhere and just like the original series got canned because of the ratings.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 02:31 AM   #83
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
Would who has lasted 50 years as an American show,it would have bad ratings somewhere and just like the original series got canned because of the ratings.
Yea, and then The British tried to revive it in 1996, and it sat dormant until Joss Whedon brought it back as NuWho in 2005

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 02:54 AM   #84
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ So Boreanaz as 9 for a year before moving on to Bones, Fillion as 10, maybe Fran Kranz as 11.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 03:33 AM   #85
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ So Boreanaz as 9 for a year before moving on to Bones, Fillion as 10, maybe Fran Kranz as 11.
I'd be OK with that, though, with the resemblance, I think it would be a crime not to use Fran Kranz as Rory instead. Maybe we could use Enver Gjokaj as Eleven instead (He does a mean Fran Kranz impression)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 03:36 AM   #86
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

OK, I definitely can picture Rory.
Old February 20 2014, 05:51 AM   #87
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Boreanaz would play the big bad of the first "nu" season, and Fillion would play the Master to NPH's 10. After that we have to assume he hands off the reigns to someone like Bryan Fuller, in which case alt-11 is probably Lee Pace(who would also make an excellent alt-10).
Old February 20 2014, 06:52 AM   #88
Skywalker
Admiral

McGann's Doctor in the TV movie was basically what an American imagines Doctor Who to be if they have never seen an episode. The uninformed imagination jumps straight to H.G. Wells, and McGann is very much in the vein of that.
With that in mind, I think in this scenario that the Eighth Doctor should basically be what a Brit would imagine an American Doctor Who to be if they'd never seen an episode. Perhaps in this universe the Eighth Doctor's one-off TV movie was co-financed by the BBC and set in London.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 07:14 AM   #89
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

That seems reasonable. But now we're getting into imaginary perspectives in alternate timelines. It is madness! MADNESS I SAY!
Old February 20 2014, 07:53 AM   #90
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Boreanaz would play the big bad of the first "nu" season, and Fillion would play the Master to NPH's 10. After that we have to assume he hands off the reigns to someone like Bryan Fuller, in which case alt-11 is probably Lee Pace(who would also make an excellent alt-10).
Kristin Chenowith as River?