Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old February 16 2014, 03:16 PM   #91
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: list of boyfriend rules

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
^ I meet all of those criteria
Yeah, but you're already mine!
I don't remember this arrangement being discussed!
Old February 16 2014, 04:29 PM   #92
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Some of us have actually spent the last fifty odd years being nice to people, helping little old ladies across the street, giving to charity, being honest, working in jobs such as health care, being kind to animals, nurturing and supporting friends and strangers, marching, arguing, writing, and otherwise struggling on a daily basis to improve the human condition by whatever incremental steps we can manage, and we do it without the slightest belief in the occult.
Or in humility, it would seem.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old February 16 2014, 04:50 PM   #93
macloudt
Down with this sort of thing

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
Old February 16 2014, 05:35 PM   #94
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Indeed
Old February 16 2014, 06:40 PM   #95
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Some of us have actually spent the last fifty odd years being nice to people, helping little old ladies across the street, giving to charity, being honest, working in jobs such as health care, being kind to animals, nurturing and supporting friends and strangers, marching, arguing, writing, and otherwise struggling on a daily basis to improve the human condition by whatever incremental steps we can manage, and we do it without the slightest belief in the occult.
Or in humility, it would seem.
Reading it out of context, I'd be inclined to agree -- lacking in humility.

However, in context, as a response to AnOfficer's comment, it's appropriate. Religious people do not have a monopoly on goodness, nor is every "practicing believer in God" the paragon of virtue that AnOfficer assumes.
Old February 16 2014, 07:11 PM   #96
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

This is a difficult topic as it's so emotionally charged.

Still, in spite of being a convinced atheist myself I find myself agreeing to AnOfficer. I think his statement boils down to the fact that genuinely religious people have a very strong moral codex they stick to. (please do correct me, if I misinterpreted you, AnOfficer)

If we take a closer look at the 10 commandments we'll find that most of them are basic human rights and we'll meet them again in the constitutions of many countries or in law books.
Compared to an un-religious person, a very religious one might very likely have a stronger feeling of duty when it comes to stick to these rules as they feel directly responsible to a person (god) while we others feel responsible to an abstract concept (the law).

Neither group has a monopoly on goodness or rightfulness but for the religious ones it's for the reasons listed above perhaps slightly easier to put the ethical theories into practize. (Always refering to the genuinely religious people, as I believe AnOfficer meant, not those who consider religion as a custom or a habit)
Old February 16 2014, 07:27 PM   #97
{ Emilia }
#betterthanromney

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
If we take a closer look at the 10 commandments we'll find that most of them are basic human rights and we'll meet them again in the constitutions of many countries or in law books.
Uh, most of them are human rights?
2 of them might be considered as protecting human rights (don't murder, don't steal).
Another one could be a law today (false witness).

2 or 3 more sound like decent moral advice.

So yeah, around 50-60% of the ten commandments are alright! Not a great quota. I'd have a look at the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for guidance instead. I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you to only believe in ONE god, rest on Sunday, not make an image of god or not take his/her name in vain.

Last edited by { Emilia }; February 16 2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old February 16 2014, 07:50 PM   #98
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

well, honouring your parents (or older people in general) is part of our constitution and laws insofar as we are to take care of them.
Adultery is legal nowadays but until not so long ago (some time in the 80s iirc) it was illegal and a reason for a divorce.
stealing/killing is forbidden in pretty much every country nowadays.
bearing false witness against anyone is a crime in my country. Dunno about others
And trying to get hold of someone's house, wife or other property is usually illegal as well (unless you marry the widow)
That sabbath rule is actually a law over here. Shops and offices are closed, crafts and trades are forbidden on Sundays, anything that makes noise must not be done. Some shop chains were trying to get it abolished but they had no chance: the people love the peace and quiet on Sundays.

That makes it 70% in Bavaria. Your country appears to be more heathen than ours
Old February 16 2014, 08:04 PM   #99
{ Emilia }
#betterthanromney

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
well, honouring your parents (or older people in general) is part of our constitution and laws insofar as we are to take care of them.
Still not a human right if you ask me. I also did a quick check of the first 19 articles of the Grundgesetz. I don't see that there (it was a very quick check, though).
I have no idea what your weird Bavarian Landesverfassung might say.

Adultery is legal nowadays but until not so long ago (some time in the 80s iirc) it was illegal and a reason for a divorce.
And that was changed because it wasn't right. What's your point?
I'm not trying to defend aldutery here but it obviously shouldn't be illegal so I fail to see how your original statement (that the ten commandments are full of human rights) holds true here.

That sabbath rule is actually a law over here. Shops and offices are closed, crafts and trades are forbidden on Sundays, anything that makes noise must not be done. Some shop chains were trying to get it abolished but they had no chance: the people love the peace and quiet on Sundays.
And you consider that a fundamental human right because?
We were talking about human rights here, not random traditions that were made law for religious reasons (and also to protect workers from having to work 7 days a week. It was part of Bismarck's "Sozialgesetzgebung" iirc.)
Old February 16 2014, 08:16 PM   #100
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Sorry to drop in on your argument, which I didn't follow, nor even really care about (clearly even the most superficial glance should tell any reasonable person that the "10 commandments are fundamentally deficient as a conclusive list of rights), but I feel very strongly about making/keeping sundays and holidays work-free for most people, because it's important to keep work and life seperate.

Your "need" to buy chips and shampoo on sunday afternoon after you had all week to do your shopping doesn't override the salesperson's right to spend some time with their family; or just to do fuck all one day a week.

I think it's extremely selfish and exploitative of the retail lobby to keep trying to undermine the work-free sunday, and that has nothing to do with religion to me.
[disclaimer: I'm not free of guilt in that regard too, although at least, I feel bad when I buy beer or whatever after work, knowing I'm contributing to keeping the poor cashiers at work when they should really already be going home too]
Old February 16 2014, 08:21 PM   #101
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I think it's extremely selfish and exploitative of the retail lobby to keep trying to undermine the work-free sunday, and that has nothing to do with religion to me.
Yup, everyone needs at least one day just to have time to themselves.

I've worked 13:30-22:00 Sunday nights with 8:30am Monday starts straight after, refered to here as "singles shifts" which if you enter your marital status as "single", you get stuck with.

I'd like that got rid of for a start, as you'd think that would be the quietist time you'd have, only the 30-40 customers still queing as your shift is about to end show otherwise.
Old February 16 2014, 08:22 PM   #102
RoJoHen
Awesome

Just because you work Sunday doesn't mean you're forced to work the other 6 days of the week, too.... People who work Sundays get time off just like everybody else.
Old February 16 2014, 08:25 PM   #103
{ Emilia }
#betterthanromney

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Yep, it makes sense for workers' rights reasons. Not for religious reasons.
But yeah... she wasn't talking about that.
Old February 16 2014, 08:38 PM   #104
Roger Wilco
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Just because you work Sunday doesn't mean you're forced to work the other 6 days of the week, too.... People who work Sundays get time off just like everybody else.
And when does their spouse get their day off? Their friends?
Old February 16 2014, 09:44 PM   #105
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Exactly. Getting the law out of when people want to open their business and when people can work was a great thing here. And lets not forget there are tons of folk who wouldn't even question working Sundays, like nursing staff, train station personnel, police..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Closed Thread