CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 21 2014, 07:21 PM   #1
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

Sim City

I've been a long time Sim City fan/player!

When the new SimCity5 was announced I was, very excitied! lol. When it was released, I did enjoy it. But I was still so very dissapointed. It's like they took a giant step backwards compaired to other City building simulators out there. I wont bother going over all the issues, as theyre all the common problems everyone else seems to have with the game.
I played it for some time, gave the Dev Team time to make updates and fix problems. But it never happened. Rather then fix the problems the entire simcity world is complaining about, they just add new content and give away free downloadables. Not impressed.

I finally just got rid of it and I am back to SimCity4 again.

I do love SC4 though! Never gets boring

Any one else have some SimCity stories?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 04:09 PM   #2
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Sim City

SimCity 2000 for life!

It's funny, both Civilization II and SimCity 2(000) represent my warmest feelings toward those franchises. They've both moved on since then but those are the versions closest to my heart.

I just started playing Anno 2070, which seems like a curious mix of SimCity building mechanics, the RTS stylings of Total Annihilation, and the supply chaining of Capitalism. Enjoying it so far.
Old February 23 2014, 06:11 PM   #3
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

SimCity 2000 was what got me into the series. It's immensely replayable. SimCity 3K a lot more fun for me, especially with the ability to design my own buildings, change the game music and so on. SimCity 4 was the ultimate simulation, but I never owned a computer that could properly run it - especially with the large maps (inevitably I would get to a point where the clock would freeze). I recently broke down and bought the new SimCity and it's been ... fine ... but nowhere near as enjoyable as the other incarnations.
Old February 23 2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

I have never played a game with the re-playability of SimCity. IMO, 4 is the best. They were and are all great respectively, but with the flop of SC5, I believe 4 still holds top. At least unless they patch SC5 enough to correct its issues, or SC6 comes out, hopfully, delivering what it should have with 5. lol
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Heh ... this thread is giving me enough nostalgia that I'm considering using BootCamp to make a Windows partition on my mac.
Old February 23 2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I love SimCity 3000, and I mean that. I still play it now, over a decade after its release; I like to make versions of its personalities in The Sims 2 and play them there. Its music is in my computer, in my car, on my mp3 player. The game made me a nerd about all things urban. I will happily read a book on waste managment because of SimCity 3000.

I want to love SimCity 4, but the regional dynamic throws me off entirely. I've tried to just play one self-contained city, but there are so many little variables I have to consider. I'll keep trying it, though.

I haven't played the new SimCity and probably won't because of the online requirement.
DS9 CapCon #100: He's the Gorram Sisko
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 08:09 PM   #7
sojourner
Admiral

^They recently patched out the online requirement.
Old February 24 2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I started with the first SimCity, bought them up through SimCity 4 (which I still play). Also had their offshoots, like SimEarth, SimAnt, SimLife, and The Sims series. Around 1991, I was living in the Bay Area and impulsively dropped by their headquarters one day just to tell them how much I appreciated their work. They were very gracious, giving me a tour of the office, and I briefly met Will Wright.
Old February 25 2014, 11:46 PM   #9
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Still leaves the very small build areas that feel more like a suburb than a sprawling city or like in Sim City 4 where you could build a huge city area

That is the main drawback of the game for me.. i want to play Sim City and not Sim Neighborhood.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 12:44 AM   #10
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Maybe the next game will be SimCul-de-sac.
Old February 26 2014, 03:12 AM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Still leaves the very small build areas that feel more like a suburb than a sprawling city or like in Sim City 4 where you could build a huge city area

That is the main drawback of the game for me.. i want to play Sim City and not Sim Neighborhood.
true, but then again, that wasn't the concern he expressed.
Old February 26 2014, 10:52 PM   #12
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Sim City 4 runs just fine on Win 7 64 bit, and I still play and enjoy it. That new Sim City monstrosity that came out last year isn't Sim City as I understand it and I hated it. I eventually just uninstalled it chalked up the money I paid for it to experience.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 05:29 PM   #13
Dinklebot
Vice Admiral

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

I played and loved the original SimCity to death on PC back in the day.

SimCity 2000 was okay because I still found it manageable, but everything after that was getting too complicated and stressful for my tastes.

My formula for my personal SimCity complexity bliss point is basically: "Does it have a sewage simulation? Yes/No - If yes, I don't enjoy it."

As for the newest title, I hate the limited scope and size due to their regional cooperation design bias. The cities are just too small.

- Route Code: EXLTD > XCV – SCRB > ALLCH <> Source: Undetermined (trans)
Dinklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Akiraprise

I still play the first one from time to time. Still my favorite. It's what got me into the series after all and also got me interested in local government politics (wish there was a cheat code for infinite money!). 4 was cool too, but I got bored with it after a while.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 04:56 AM   #15
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

By the way, in case anyone is interested, SimCity 4 is available as an app from Mac's App Store. It actually runs exceptionally well on my three-year-old iMac.