RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,086
Posts: 5,398,825
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 504
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 10 2014, 08:05 AM   #1
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

Not sure if anyone watched The Beatles special tonight but I found out that Ringo was 74. I was shocked, because looking at him he doesn't look a day over 50. Yeah I know Make Up helps, but he's as energetic now as he was back then and I honestly thought he was better than Paul McCartney during the individual segments. It's a shame he's always looked at as kind of the outsider of the group because now he's still rocking and looking good doing it.

Anyone else watch the special, or just think Ringo Starr is the best Beatle?
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 08:22 AM   #2
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

Choosing a best Beatle is like choosing a best Beatle song. They're all great. Besides, best at what? Melody, lyrics, harmonizing, guitar, piano, drums?
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 08:27 AM   #3
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

Sir Thumbs-a-lot is the best at putting his thumbs up.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 09:06 AM   #4
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
Choosing a best Beatle is like choosing a best Beatle song. They're all great. Besides, best at what? Melody, lyrics, harmonizing, guitar, piano, drums?
I was thinking more along the lines of entertainer.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 09:15 PM   #5
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Not sure if anyone watched The Beatles special tonight but I found out that Ringo was 74. I was shocked, because looking at him he doesn't look a day over 50. Yeah I know Make Up helps, but he's as energetic now as he was back then and I honestly thought he was better than Paul McCartney during the individual segments. It's a shame he's always looked at as kind of the outsider of the group because now he's still rocking and looking good doing it.

Anyone else watch the special, or just think Ringo Starr is the best Beatle?
Ringo wasn't the best Beatle, John was.

But I was thinking the same thing you were when looking at Ringo on the show. He looks WAY younger than Paul. Fingo just seems so unpretentious and down to earth -- just a regular guy. He seemed completely relaxed talking to Letteman about the past, where Paul seemed his usual kind of uptight, nervous self. And no offense to Paul, love all of the Beatles, individually and as a whole.

I did laugh out loud at Yoko and those glassses sitting on the end of her nose and that hat. Sean was there too, right? I thought that was him.

Why Katie Perry? So many other singers could have done a better job. My favorite performance was Imagine Dragons', Revolution.

That was a nice touch getting those girls who were actually shown on camera in the studio to comment. Anyone recall that Stevie's verion of Try to See it My Way was a huge hit for him.

Loved the show.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 09:59 PM   #6
TheMurph
Rear Admiral
 
TheMurph's Avatar
 
Location: TN
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

I thought it was great! I have to say, I found myself enjoying Ringo's set more than Paul's just because Ringo's performance seemed so much more relaxed. Both were great though.

Loved Ringo giving a shout out to Dave Grohl's daughter.
__________________
Nope.
TheMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Not sure if anyone watched The Beatles special tonight but I found out that Ringo was 74. I was shocked, because looking at him he doesn't look a day over 50. Yeah I know Make Up helps, but he's as energetic now as he was back then and I honestly thought he was better than Paul McCartney during the individual segments. It's a shame he's always looked at as kind of the outsider of the group because now he's still rocking and looking good doing it.

Anyone else watch the special, or just think Ringo Starr is the best Beatle?
Just compare him to Phil Collins, who at sixty-something can't even dance like he used to on stage anymore; Ringo was up and at 'em like nobody's business last night.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 01:14 AM   #8
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Just compare him to Phil Collins, who at sixty-something can't even dance like he used to on stage anymore; Ringo was up and at 'em like nobody's business last night.
I took my mom to see Ringo two years ago when he toured with the All-Starr Band that summer, and Ringo did jumping jacks on stage! "He's pretty spry for seventy-two!" I said. My mom said she couldn't do jumping jacks like that and she's not anywhere near as old as he is.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:05 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

Say what you will about her but Yoko wasn't doing bad considering she's 80.


TheMurph wrote: View Post
Loved Ringo giving a shout out to Dave Grohl's daughter.
Which just added to the sense of him being quite at ease. Would have loved to hear the No No Song.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:16 AM   #10
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

TheMurph wrote: View Post
I thought it was great! I have to say, I found myself enjoying Ringo's set more than Paul's just because Ringo's performance seemed so much more relaxed. Both were great though.

Loved Ringo giving a shout out to Dave Grohl's daughter.
Yeah. Both were great and it was nice to see Ringo and Paul together again, but Ringo looked like he was having fun up there. Paul looked a little more serious.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:56 AM   #11
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

[QUOTE=gblews;9231763]
SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post

Why Katie Perry? So many other singers could have done a better job. My favorite performance was Imagine Dragons', Revolution.
Perry gave the weakest performance of the night. She was so serious that it bordered on comic.

You're right about Ringo. He looked great.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 05:48 AM   #12
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

As for the cover performances, I would buy a that cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. That was a very definition of a jam session and it sounded amazing.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 10:13 AM   #13
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

^When somebody posts this special (or parts of it) on YouTube, just have your browser make an MP3 of the part that 'My Guitar Gently Weeps'.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 06:38 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

Ringo still looks like Arafat.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 02:30 AM   #15
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Ringo Starr Looks Great for 74

No, Arafat looked like Ringo.
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.