Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old February 14 2014, 06:58 AM   #1
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith
Feeling Like A Kid

Ladies and gents I need to mention something amongst people who'll probably understand.

For the last week, I've felt like a kid again. As usual, it's very Star Trek related.

Last week, Star Trek Continues released "Lolani." Tomorrow, Star Trek Phase II releases "The Holiest Thing."

"Lolani" was frakking awesome, by the way. If you've not seen it, go.

Now.

Seriously.

Go.

Right the frak away.

Here, I'll help.

I've been fanboying about this since Saturday, but this is actually kind of a big deal for me. I'm a life-long Trekkie, having been born shortly after they shot, "The Cage."

Some of my earliest memories are of the show. Like many of us, no one will play the Star Trek edition of Trivial Pursuit with me.

Some tried once. Never again.

I've done cons. My first was Star Trekon in Kansas City: Star Trekon 1976. The one with the huge mural from "Amok Time."

I've done enough cons to have downed a drink next to Jimmy Doohan in Chicago.

I spent some time with George Takei, once: he seemed like a stand-up guy.

I don't know if he remembers it, but I had Michael Dorn sign one of my headshots, once.

I stumped Vic Mignogna at ACEN a few years ago. I went with my daughters: my eldest is a fan like her father. She's just an anime fan, is all.

I kind of stopped going to them after they got so commercialized. Fan-run cons are still the best.

Anyway, the timing of the release of these episodes has caused something to happen to me that hasn't occurred in forty years:

I saw my favorite show last week, and I'm looking forward to seeing it this week.

Now, don't get me wrong, TNG and the later shows were often brilliant and about half of the movies were great.

But they weren't my favorite show. My favorite show has been and always will be Star Trek.

From their prior episodes, it should be obvious that both of these productions are making Star Trek. They understand the heart that is Star Trek (unlike some people I could mention that are just making action schlock).

In any case, after STTMP, I never expected to see my favorite show one week and then look forward to the next. That's not happened since TAS, in 1974.

Forty years. No wonder I feel like a kid again.

DakotaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 01:34 PM   #2
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Re: Feeling Like A Kid

Thanks for the pointer! I just watched "Lolani" and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. This episode would have kicked off an avalanche of 1970s fan fiction, and it may do so yet.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Re: Feeling Like A Kid

Moving to Fan Productions...the mods there can merge with the existing thread if they wish.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote