Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 2 2014, 06:07 AM   #601
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

$45 seems pretty cheap to me for 16+ hours of entertainment.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 08:32 PM   #602
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Especially when you consider what pricing was 13 years ago when the DVDs were first made for sale. $100-110 each. We're getting like 10x the product at less than half price.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 12:57 PM   #603
MakeshiftPython
Captain

If Paramount was still handling the shows, I'm sure we'd be stuck with their hefty prices. I didn't buy the DVDs for a long time until the prices finally went way down the 40s-30s.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 04:51 PM   #604
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I'm slowly dipping my toes in Season 6. Over the weekend, I watched Realm of Fear. Crusher's uniform looked decidedly more blue than teal. I didn't compare it to previous seasons, nor do I have the Season 6 DVDs any longer for direct comparison.

Did they change her uniform color in Season 6, or is the color timing of the blu-rays off?
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 05:15 PM   #605
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I didn't notice any color timing issues. The color difference could probably be attributed to either an actual change in the color of the uniform (which happened a few times throughout the series) or a new costume (not faded).
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 01:10 PM   #606
MakeshiftPython
Captain

I think they did change the uniform a bit, because it does look a lot more blue in seasons 6 and 7, compared to the more teal looking one in 4 and 5.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 03:21 PM   #607
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Thank you both, and I agree that it was probably different colored material. The rest of the image looks fine. If the color timing were off, I'd expect other things to look wrong, too.

I've now watched Man of the People, and it strikes me more than on previous viewings how the plots started to get very bizarre in Season 6. It's been noted by others as well; it just really stands out to me on this round of viewing.

I'm not even sure I understood the expository dialogue, but this is how I think they went:

Time's Arrrow Part 2 - Some aliens who feed on other life forms take a glowing snake (who likes to rest as a walking stick while not eating) back to 19th Century Earth. The snake sucks the life out of derelicts (the aliens are hoping they won't affect the future by killing losers), and they take the snake back to their cave, where it gives up the life force so the aliens can ingest it through their foreheads.

Realm of Fear - the ship was too close to some kind of plasma, and the crewmembers had themselves beamed into it to avoid a disaster, where they resided as huge grub worms until the Enterprise crew hugged them and brought them back.

Man of the People - the boring handsome guy has a lot of evil thoughts, but he manages to download them into conveniently smitten beautiful women, who quickly age and die due to the accumulation of these bad thoughts. Once Crusher cuts off Troi from the download, the bad thoughts back up in his brain and kill him.

Did I get them right?
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 06:30 PM   #608
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I give Man of the People a pass. They were planning to do Relics, but James Doohan became unavailable so it had to be pushed back, and they rushed to get Man of the People done in its place. The writing staff noted they had to "gangbang" the script to get it done in time. I wonder how it would have gone down if they were able to polish the script.
Old August 8 2014, 06:36 PM   #609
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post

True, but nothing that justifies the cost of the sets. If there were no special features, and that substantially cut the price of the sets, I could live without them. Many of them have just moved over from the old DVD sets, so there's no extra cost there.

I'm all for making myself feel better. Ain't no one else gonna do it for me. Besides, CBS ripping the fans off with these prices puts them on pretty ropey moral ground as well. If I'd been part of the TNG filming crew 25 years ago, I'm not sure I'd be bothered about getting a pittance in royalties for work I'd done that long ago. I'd want as many people to see that work in the same quality that it was originally shot in, not see them priced out of seeing it by a money grabbing studio that's been milking them for years.
This attitude smacks of ignorance... you really do have no idea just how much cost, work and effort goes into remastering this material. The operation at CBS Digital is HUGE, requiring a large round-the-clock workforce working constantly on the most minor details to ensure the product passes muster with the studio and the fans. This slavish attention to detail comes at a price, and $60 a season is a BARGAIN for what you're getting.
Old August 8 2014, 06:54 PM   #610
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Honestly, I would have been OK had these been $100 per season based on the work done. (Maybe not season 2 ) I felt like it was cheating to be getting the season sets plus the standalone release for $65-$70. Times sure have changed from the DVD gauging from 2001.

Reconstructing this show frame by frame was no easy (or cheap) task.
Old August 11 2014, 11:53 AM   #611
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
you really do have no idea just how much cost, work and effort goes into remastering this material. The operation at CBS Digital is HUGE, requiring a large round-the-clock workforce working constantly on the most minor details to ensure the product passes muster with the studio and the fans. This slavish attention to detail comes at a price, and $60 a season is a BARGAIN for what you're getting.
Surely it's less work than a new series would take to make from scratch, since it's effectively just the post-production costs, yet it costs more to actually buy than other series on Blu-ray.

Maybe they'd sell more than twice as many copies if it was half the price.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 02:09 PM   #612
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Unfortunately that's not how it works. $60 is a fair price. Just based on these forums, it's really the vocal minority complaining about the price, so I doubt reducing the price would increase the sales all that much.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 03:18 PM   #613
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Unfortunately that's not how it works. $60 is a fair price. Just based on these forums, it's really the vocal minority complaining about the price, so I doubt reducing the price would increase the sales all that much.
But it may be discouraging purchases by casual fans who see that they can get two box sets of most other shows for the price of one TNG box set.
Old August 11 2014, 04:18 PM   #614
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I know several people who are waiting for all seven seasons to be released until buying. It's not all about price.
Old August 11 2014, 08:49 PM   #615
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
you really do have no idea just how much cost, work and effort goes into remastering this material. The operation at CBS Digital is HUGE, requiring a large round-the-clock workforce working constantly on the most minor details to ensure the product passes muster with the studio and the fans. This slavish attention to detail comes at a price, and $60 a season is a BARGAIN for what you're getting.
Surely it's less work than a new series would take to make from scratch, since it's effectively just the post-production costs, yet it costs more to actually buy than other series on Blu-ray.

On a per episode basis, the release week pricing is actually right around the same cost as pretty much everything else out there you can buy, cheaper even, compared to some that have only ten or 13 episode seasons.