Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 10 2014, 02:31 PM   #556
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post

Hmm, that's cool, nice to SyFy in the UK actually be aggressive about getting TNG-R, wish a network would care that much here in the states.
Season one is currently showing on BBC America.
Old July 10 2014, 07:55 PM   #557
Admiral Bear
Captain

Hmm, that's cool, nice to SyFy in the UK actually be aggressive about getting TNG-R, wish a network would care that much here in the states.
If you have the bandwidth and no download limits, season 6 is available at you know where. 81GB download, which is about 3.5GB per episode. .far more than is necessary for 45 mins of good quality HD.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 04:30 AM   #558
SpHeRe31459
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

Season one is currently showing on BBC America.
Yes... 2 years too late...

SyFy UK secured the right to the S1 (and all subsequent seasons) the same year it was released (BD release of S1 was Summer 2012, SyFy UK started airing it Fall 2012).
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 04:32 AM   #559
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
If you have the bandwidth and no download limits, season 6 is available at you know where. 81GB download, which is about 3.5GB per episode. .far more than is necessary for 45 mins of good quality HD.
Well I own the BDs, that's of course not my point. My point was it being broadcast. It's nice to turn on the TV and be able to catch an episode here and there. It also shows there's enough interest out there that a network thinks it matters it secure the rights to TNG-R.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 01:30 PM   #560
Trek Survivor
Captain

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
There's usually a release window where the season is an exclusive to Blu-ray to promote sales. My guess would be 90-days from now they'll start showing up on SyFy UK.
I'm fairly sure SyFy started showing one of the earlier TNG seasons in HD before the Blu-rays were released in the UK.

Happy to be corrected though.
You're right, I think they carried on to series 3 after series 2 ended before the Blu-Rays were out here.
No, this didn't happen - after season 1 and 2 HD broadcast the first time, SyFy actually ran season 3 in Standard Definition (just before the Blu Ray was released). The HD masters of season 3 actually premiered on the NEXT go-around.

To date, SyFy has not beaten the Blu Ray releases... I suspect the agreement is it premieres them shortly after, or on the next run (so Season 6 HD will be broadcast on the next go-around).
Old July 11 2014, 06:18 PM   #561
Admiral Bear
Captain

Season 6 HD will be on next year then.

Roll on September when the Italian boxset apparently comes out.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 07:06 PM   #562
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Season 6 HD will be on next year then.
What's the problem? It's standard for new releases to have a gradual rollout.

Look at most movies: first they're released in theaters, then 6-8 months later they're released for purchase as physical media, 1-2 months later they're available for streaming, then finally a year after that they're shown on TV.

This is the way studios work so they can make more money from the same product. This isn't CBS doing something crazy or unusual, it's the business model of the industry.

Last edited by trekker670; July 12 2014 at 02:41 AM.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 10:12 PM   #563
Salinga
Captain

In Germany movies are shown in free tv usually after 2 years.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 02:43 AM   #564
trekker670
Fleet Captain

You're correct, it turns out that my timeline was abbreviated compared to the typical release.

From Wikipedia:

The standard release routine for a movie is regulated by a business model called "release windows". The release windows system was first conceived in the early 1980s, on the brink of the home entertainment market, as a strategy to keep different instances of a movie from competing with each other, allowing the movie to take advantage of different markets (cinema, home video, TV, etc.) at different times.

In the standard drill, a movie is first released through movie theaters (theatrical window), then, after approximately 16 and a half weeks, it is released to DVD (entering its video window). After an additional number of months it is released to Pay TV and VOD services and approximately two years after its theatrical release date, it is made available for free-to-air TV.
In fact, Star Trek (2009) waited almost 3 years before being shown on free-TV. It first aired February 2012.
Old July 12 2014, 05:22 AM   #565
cbspock
Rear Admiral

What is up with the audio sync issue on the special features on the last disc? Its pretty screwed up.

-Chris
Old July 14 2014, 07:26 PM   #566
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Nice seemless transition on Chain of Command. It also helped part 1 too, in that the one film really did help bring both episodes together in terms of continuity. I think I like this one as one episode now rather than the first episode meeting Jellico and then the second episode torturing Picard.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 11:23 PM   #567
M
Vice Admiral

Maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but what's up with the smiley face Picard's drawing in "Timescape"? It's almost completely invisible! In fact I had to rewind a few seconds just so that my wife could see what that scene was all about. Why did they turn up the contrast so much? Or is it just me?

(Another thing about the episode itself: Why is the warbird vanishing in the end? They said those lifeforms nesting in the warbird's engines were from "another time" or some such, but certainly not the ship itself nor all the Romulans onboard, right? But it gets even curiouser, when in his log after the warbird's disappearance Picard is telling us how they evacuated all the Romulans. From where?)
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 11:33 PM   #568
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

^Yeah, I just got done watching "Timescape" and thought the smiley face looked very faint as well. Other random observations:

-When Picard enters the rear of the runabout and and starts using the computer before he touches the fruit bowl, you can see the long nails on his hand already.

-When they first beam onto the bridge and Picard is at Worf's station, you can see the Romulan behind him blink several times.

-At the end of the episode when Riker visits Data, you can prominently see two velcro squares on the front of Riker's pants.

It's always surprised me that the rear of the runabout set never showed up on DS9. From what I can tell though, the bunk beds were reused in the Defiant's crew quarters.
Old July 15 2014, 01:01 AM   #569
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

M wrote: View Post
Maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but what's up with the smiley face Picard's drawing in "Timescape"? It's almost completely invisible! In fact I had to rewind a few seconds just so that my wife could see what that scene was all about. Why did they turn up the contrast so much? Or is it just me?
Yes, the boosted was a little too high for that shot. I was able to clearly see it though. If it's nearly invisible for you, then your TV's contrast might be too high.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 12:39 PM   #570
trekker670
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
M wrote: View Post
Yes, the boosted was a little too high for that shot. I was able to clearly see it though. If it's nearly invisible for you, then your TV's contrast might be too high.
The same thing happened in "Tapestry" with the scenes with Q and Picard in the bright white room as well.