RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 443
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 30 2014, 05:31 AM   #451
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I thought she looked most attractive in S7 and GENERATIONS. I like her more straightened hair and she looks more appealing in a uniform.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 06:55 AM   #452
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I thought she looked most attractive in S7 and GENERATIONS. I like her more straightened hair and she looks more appealing in a uniform.
Her hair was pretty straight in First Contact and Voyager. I do agree with you about the uniform though. Should have happened in Season 3.
Old June 30 2014, 07:14 AM   #453
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
I've been waiting till I actually see this episode again to comment, so now that I have, can you explain the whole Male fan part?
The dress she's wearing in Ten Forward is sheer.

Last edited by jimbotron; June 30 2014 at 07:43 AM.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 08:12 AM   #454
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post
SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
I've been waiting till I actually see this episode again to comment, so now that I have, can you explain the whole Male fan part?
The dress she's wearing in Ten Forward is sheer.
I thought it looked ugly.

Anyway, I watched Relics tonight and when those doors opened to the bridge of the original Enterprise, I actually got excited. The last time I had that kind of emotion was when the original Enterprise appeared on the viewscreen in DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations on DVD. Man that bridge looked shiny and gorgeous. Well done CBS Digital.
Old June 30 2014, 10:44 AM   #455
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ It was a screencap from "This Side of Paradise" Paramount used as the background plate for Scotty entering the holodeck and CBS-D used the original frame to combine it with the TNG live action (corridor) footage.

The TOS Bridge section used for the live action with Stewart and Doohan doesn't hold up too well under close scrutiny (carpet color, platform step and location!, push buttons on helm/nav console etc.), but then again it's probably just taken from the Constitution Class starship in the Starfleet Museum Picard refers to.

(Because the computer never asks Scotty which Bridge of "NCC-1701" he wanted to see. Pike's, Kirk's, Decker's or Spock's Bridge of "NCC-1701"? )

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 11:32 AM   #456
Mytran
Fleet Captain

The shuttle mash-up occurs in other episodes as well, I think. It was in that weird period when TNG had acquired and modified TFF's shuttle prop but hadn't got around to doing any miniature work yet. So they just mixed and matched and hoped no-one would notice :-D

To be honest, the old shuttlecraft miniature wasn't too bad, just a shame they never got a convincing full size mockup built. As Robert_Comsol mentioned, it is not attractive.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 03:56 PM   #457
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

A post at blu-ray.com is asking people to demand a recall for Season 6 due to several minor issues (such as the beam emanating from the neck in Timescape that was already discussed here). They all seem to be very minor issues or remnants of original production issues. I don't see where it warrants a recall, but then I haven't watched the set yet. And, if they didn't re-do Season 2 for all the issues it had, they'll never do anything for Season 6.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 04:26 PM   #458
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
A post at blu-ray.com is asking people to demand a recall for Season 6 due to several minor issues (such as the beam emanating from the neck in Timescape that was already discussed here). They all seem to be very minor issues or remnants of original production issues. I don't see where it warrants a recall, but then I haven't watched the set yet. And, if they didn't re-do Season 2 for all the issues it had, they'll never do anything for Season 6.
It's ridiculous for some of these people to say "they did a recall for season 1, so they can do one for this too!" The issues with season 1 impacted every viewer's ability to watch almost a quarter of the season. It was a huge quality control flub, much like having a disc that always freezes at a certain point. That is not the same as an effects shot some are unhappy with. Complaints like that will only serve to piss off the CBS-D crew and discourage CBS from doing DS9.
Old June 30 2014, 04:27 PM   #459
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Doug Otte wrote: View Post

Yeah, they're very minor. What you're seeing there is a very vocal minority. This same guy has been posting (read: demanding) a recall/replacement program on numerous sites (blu-ray.com, TrekCore, and a few others) and across the board the opinion is that he's overreacting and the minor issues don't warrant a replacement.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 05:01 PM   #460
Admiral Bear
Captain

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
^^ Dr. Bashir, I presume. Well, I'd think it's fair to mention that unlike several other Star Trek actors he made quite a respectable career in Hollywood after DS9, starring in several major films.

Bob
Yeah he was in "Kingdom of Heaven" as well heheheh... still he was good in that.

Also he showed up in 24, and an episode of Spooks (MI5 for you colonials).
Was also in Syriana opposite George Clooney a few years back.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 05:20 PM   #461
Robert Comsol
Commodore

jimbotron wrote: View Post
That is not the same as an effects shot some are unhappy with. Complaints like that will only serve to piss off the CBS-D crew and discourage CBS from doing DS9.
I don't think so, there are other factors determining that, IMHO.

To me it has always been a little problematic that the original mission statement had been to remaster TNG as close and faithful to the original presentation, yet fix obvious mistakes here and there (which gave raise to some not totally unwarranted expectations).

I liked the original opening shot in "Sins of the Father" because the Bird of Prey wasn't facing the Enterprise - and therefore suggested this was a peaceful encounter.

In the remastered version that had changed for no good reason, IMHO.

Well, eventually there'll probably be an "Artist's Edition" several years down the road and some remaining flaws will be taken care of, eventually / hopefully.

Bob
Old June 30 2014, 05:53 PM   #462
Makarov
Commander

Troi looked the best with giant hair and not tanned imo. It's just weird to see her without the big hair. Worf's hair is looking pretty good this season though. And Patrick Stewart's hair too of course.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2014, 06:09 PM   #463
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
To me it has always been a little problematic that the original mission statement had been to remaster TNG as close and faithful to the original presentation, yet fix obvious mistakes here and there (which gave raise to some not totally unwarranted expectations).
I hear you. I think they characterize errors into ones worth fixing, and ones worth keeping. They've kept errors caused by shortcuts (like the shuttle footage) and fixed errors that they think the original effects team would have fixed had they realized (such as the beam in EaF, or the wrong planet color for Galorndon Core). It's all up to CBS-D's judgment I guess. The beam coming out of the neck in Timescape makes for a better shot IMO, so I see why it was chosen originally and kept now. I'm mixed on the Darmok correction, because it was so odd. Strangely, I'm going to miss that.

I liked the original opening shot in "Sins of the Father" because the Bird of Prey wasn't facing the Enterprise - and therefore suggested this was a peaceful encounter.

In the remastered version that had changed for no good reason, IMHO.
They easily could have recreated that with the same angle, but I can see why they changed it. They had to redo the shot from scratch, so why not make that little change? Thankfully, those two elements were found and later used together in A Matter of Honor. The Enterprise element was heavily used throughout the show for when the ship is at warp:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_193.jpg

Restored model shot in 11001001: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...001_hd_355.jpg

When I rip these episodes onto my media player, I'm going to see if I can edit in the corrected shot used in A Matter of Honor.

Well, eventually there'll probably be an "Artist's Edition" several years down the road and some remaining flaws will be taken care of, eventually / hopefully.
If that were to happen in a million years, then I'll get the whole set for you, free of charge.
Old June 30 2014, 06:17 PM   #464
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I will send you a PM when it happens to remind you, but I'll insist to have it gift-wrapped.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but looking again at another "Timescape" VFX screencap I have to wonder: Are we looking at an incredibly small Romulan warbird or has the size of the Runabout shuttle increased because of some strange "exotic" phenomenon?

Bob
Old June 30 2014, 06:26 PM   #465
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Trek has always been bad at proper scaling. The Klingon BOP is often way too big, and the Warbird is scaled too small. In non-alien cases, the Constellation and Oberth classes were too big next to the Enterprise. They usually got the Excelsior shots right.

I had no idea the Warbird was supposed to dwarf the Enterprise. The only time that was conveyed was its first appearance in The Neutral Zone: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...one_hd_408.jpg