May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

William Shatner Presents Chaos On The Bridge US Premiere
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 26 2014, 03:34 PM   #421
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Will you look at that? http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/06/oku...-ray-fx-error/

I think it's a bit odd. Previous fixes were based on our assumptions where those beams should originate from.

In "Timescape" the emanating point is explicitly referred to be the "deflector array", but the visual information still does not match the vocal one.

Bob
That is odd, but we can't comment either way on whether this is right or wrong because we don't know what the original artists intended. I assume, by "after some analysis", the Okudas asked the original VFX artists to see what they said? (EDIT: or read their original notes, perhaps?) Otherwise, aren't they just guessing too?

You could, arguably, state that many of the 'fixes' so far should NOT have been corrected. The energy beam from the captain's yacht in EaF, for instance, looks better coming from the middle rather than being off to the left of the screen, even if it's 'technically wrong' (the composition looks slightly imbalanced in the new version). The original shot of the phaser from the torpedo tube in Darkmok looks better than the re-used stock shot they replaced it with. The movie-style Enterprise refit schematic in The Naked Now is arguably the correct one to use because Gene Roddenberry considered it a retcon and "what the Enterprise was always supposed to look like" at the time the episode was made. All arguably valid artistic choices, in my opinion.

I think it's more likely that the shot in Timescape wasn't changed because it appears multiple times in the episode from different angles (sometimes moving, IIRC?) and it might have been too much work to bother with. Or they just missed it. Or maybe they're being completely honest and they do have information to suggest it was intentional. The windows on the neck are lit up, after all.

All that said, however, I think they should have changed it.

Last edited by Start Wreck; June 26 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added some stuff
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 04:18 PM   #422
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yes, it seems like an odd artistic choice.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 04:55 PM   #423
MickJo1701
Commander

Doesn't make much sense as an artistic decision to me, the dialogue said the power transfer beam came from the deflector array. If it came from the tractor emitter on the ventral secondary hull it would be more plausible.

The stars in the background of the sun inside the Dyson Sphere was an unfortunate oversight as well. Minor niggles that don't take away anything from a fantastic looking season.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 04:55 PM   #424
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

TrekCore has it right.They wrote mistake in quotes. It does look like a deliberate artistic choice because of the way it's framed throughout the episode. Coming from the deflector array wouldn't work because the beam and the disruptor fire from the Romulan ship would overlap and would look too cluttered.

I haven't yet seen the error in Relics, but it sounds like that's the one to complain about.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 05:13 PM   #425
MickJo1701
Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I haven't yet seen the error in Relics, but it sounds like that's the one to complain about.
There are the 2 or 3 shots were the stars were mistakenly added. Nothing to write home about.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2rgjjuw.jpg
http://oi62.tinypic.com/1180wlk.jpg

The shot of the Enterprise breaking orbit of the star looks absolutely incredible.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 07:18 PM   #426
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

That's quite an oversight, but not a big deal to me.

I'd like to know just how a Dyson Sphere would work practically. It would be permanently day over the entire surface.

This is a very TOS idea. You have a mysterious abandoned structure out in the middle of space. Its mere existence could have huge implications for the galaxy. But in the end, it's never seen or heard about again, and we never find out who built it, nor does anyone care to find out.
Old June 26 2014, 07:39 PM   #427
trekker670
Fleet Captain

I'd like to know just how a Dyson Sphere would work practically. It would be permanently day over the entire surface.:
The Dyson sphere is a real-world idea. More info is available on Wikipedia

This is a very TOS idea. You have a mysterious abandoned structure out in the middle of space. Its mere existence could have huge implications for the galaxy. But in the end, it's never seen or heard about again, and we never find out who built it, nor does anyone care to find out.
Agreed, but we got to see Scotty again, and that's really what the episode was about! Granted, it was a missed opportunity to explore a really cool concept.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2014, 07:55 PM   #428
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Male fans will definitely enjoy Man of the People. Almost nothing is left to the imagination.
Old June 26 2014, 09:13 PM   #429
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Doesn't make much sense as an artistic decision to me, the dialogue said the power transfer beam came from the deflector array. If it came from the tractor emitter on the ventral secondary hull it would be more plausible.

The stars in the background of the sun inside the Dyson Sphere was an unfortunate oversight as well. Minor niggles that don't take away anything from a fantastic looking season.
Funny, I watched Relics and had that same thought about the stars inside the sphere.

And as for Man of the People... oh, baby!
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 06:31 AM   #430
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I really liked the Scotty deleted scene, especially the end, because it restores a joke that was there before. As he rejects Troi's help, he declares "I know what I need, and it is not here!" (cut to) "scotch, neat".

Scotty doesn't need therapy, he needs a drink!
Old June 27 2014, 06:53 AM   #431
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I really liked the Scotty deleted scene, especially the end, because it restores a joke that was there before. As he rejects Troi's help, he declares "I know what I need, and it is not here!" (cut to) "scotch, neat".

Scotty doesn't need therapy, he needs a drink!
I loved that scene too. It actually felt like it could have been kept in the actual episode.
Old June 27 2014, 04:58 PM   #432
CrazyMatt
Captain

Superb. Superb. Can't wait for season 7, hopefully we'll see something on that soon.

AND THEN ON TO DS9!
Old June 27 2014, 05:25 PM   #433
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

UPS brought the new set this morning from Amazon.
Old June 27 2014, 05:47 PM   #434
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Male fans will definitely enjoy Man of the People. Almost nothing is left to the imagination.
I was puzzled that the reviews didn't have the screenshots from that episode that I really want to see...
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2014, 05:59 PM   #435
Robert Comsol
Commodore

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
Wasn't that the precise location where the power transfer beam emanated in "The Next Phase"? (okay, it was blue, but it seemed to serve the exact same purpose)

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote