Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Final Trek To Boldly Go Video Honors Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Star Trek Timelines Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 3 2014, 10:10 PM   #196
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Full Season 6 and Chain of Command breakdown plus a few cryptic hints about what you can expect! http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/04/sta...ull-breakdown/
Old April 3 2014, 10:45 PM   #197
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Slightly dissapointed with the lack of commentary for Starship Mine. And we're fast running out of time to get interviews with the major recurring players. Whoopi, I'm looking at you.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 10:54 PM   #198
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I must have missed the discussion about it: what was the "the oft-discussed" scene from "Relics?" Presumably a deleted scene?
Old April 4 2014, 01:44 AM   #199
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

mr.peany wrote: View Post
Slightly dissapointed with the lack of commentary for Starship Mine. And we're fast running out of time to get interviews with the major recurring players. Whoopi, I'm looking at you.
Read the bottom of the article ... for both of your points

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I must have missed the discussion about it: what was the "the oft-discussed" scene from "Relics?" Presumably a deleted scene?
Watch the trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60oK7L39cMc
Old April 4 2014, 07:10 AM   #200
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Fewer commentaries, that's a shame because those are all really enjoyable and informative (except Cause and Effect, yuck). It would be nice if the Okudas + others could record some podcast commentaries.

Fingers crossed for no more upscaled footage. The season 5 stuff was thankfully decent, but it takes me out of the show whenever it cuts to SD footage.

Thinking ahead to season 7, TrekCore, do you know if they plan on including the Journey's End documentary? It would make a nice inclusion for an AGT solo release.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 07:39 AM   #201
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

Read the bottom of the article ... for both of your points
"Whoop whoop!"
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 02:35 PM   #202
Jefferies
Captain

[...] the documentary has been expanded from two to three parts, giving ample time to cover the launch of Deep Space Nine during TNG's sixth season [...]
Why are they doing VAM on the making-of of DS9? Surely if they are intending a remastered release for that show any time soon this would be more than redundant?

Could this be evidence that DS9 Remastered is far from recieving the go ahead?
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 03:11 PM   #203
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Jefferies wrote: View Post
[...] the documentary has been expanded from two to three parts, giving ample time to cover the launch of Deep Space Nine during TNG's sixth season [...]
Why are they doing VAM on the making-of of DS9? Surely if they are intending a remastered release for that show any time soon this would be more than redundant?

Could this be evidence that DS9 Remastered is far from recieving the go ahead?
Pure speculation, but my guess is that rather than it simply discussing the beginning of DS9 from the perspective of the DS9 cast/crew, the feature will likely discuss how the launch of DS9 affected TNG. Remember, this was the first time that Star Trek had two shows running simultaneously, which was likely a big deal. There may have also been concerns about if they were being replaced and/or issues with reorganizing the behind the scenes crews between the two shows.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 06:38 PM   #204
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

From 1992 onward, it would be difficult to segregate conversation to just one show. For much of the staff, they were working on two shows simultaneously, so it's only natural that the season 6 features will incorporate DS9 discussion.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 10:03 PM   #205
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
From 1992 onward, it would be difficult to segregate conversation to just one show. For much of the staff, they were working on two shows simultaneously, so it's only natural that the season 6 features will incorporate DS9 discussion.
Also, optimistically, they are probably asking those very same people a lot of DS9 related questions with material for special features in mind.

I'd imagine the DS9 specific people would be being tapped up for interviews by now, but presumably told to keep quiet about it, so no news isn't necessarily bad news!
Old April 5 2014, 03:29 AM   #206
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
I'd imagine the DS9 specific people would be being tapped up for interviews by now, but presumably told to keep quiet about it, so no news isn't necessarily bad news!
I don't think they've started interviewing people specifically for DS9 yet. Until the project is greenlit, they have no budget to spend on interview footage and the like. you're right, no news isn't necessarily bad news, but sometimes no news is simply no news.
Old April 5 2014, 12:50 PM   #207
Jefferies
Captain

At this point, don't people think CBS has already made a firm decision about DS9 remastered? Just for planning security reasons.

For one I think it is safe to assume work on TNG season 6 is almost complete by now and the team has moved on to working on season 7. In turn they will largely have completed work on that season by the end of the 3rd quarter of this year. So within 5-6 months this team will have to move on to DS9 or they will start being out of a job. To prevent being out of a job a lot of them will start applying for new jobs long before this one finishes unless they have been told already that DS9 is going ahead.

Secondly, most seem to agree that it would make a hell of a lot of sense to keep the TNG remastered team together for DS9 in order to save time and money and to get the best quality remastering possible. This argument is so strong that some think if CBS disbands the team there will not be another Star Trek remastering project for a long time to come.

So to prevent a brain drain from this team CBS will have to tell them imminently that they will be keeping their jobs or they will end up having commitments elsewhere come the end of the year.

Thirdly, CBS surely has all the info it needs right now to make this decision. Or at least it won't gain any substantial new information in the next 6 months that will drastically change the situation. Also what kind of planning cycles does a studio like CBS operate on? Surely a massive project like remastering DS9 can't be decided on an ad hoc basis. Surely just putting all the financial and legal commitments in place would take many months at least.

Therefore if it hasn't been decided by now it simply isn't going to happen. Unless there is something significant I have overlooked in all this?
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 02:47 PM   #208
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I agree with everything stated here. If DS9-HD hasn't been given the go-ahead by now, it likely isn't going to happen.

Jefferies wrote: View Post
At this point, don't people think CBS has already made a firm decision about DS9 remastered? Just for planning security reasons.

For one I think it is safe to assume work on TNG season 6 is almost complete by now and the team has moved on to working on season 7. In turn they will largely have completed work on that season by the end of the 3rd quarter of this year. So within 5-6 months this team will have to move on to DS9 or they will start being out of a job. To prevent being out of a job a lot of them will start applying for new jobs long before this one finishes unless they have been told already that DS9 is going ahead.

Secondly, most seem to agree that it would make a hell of a lot of sense to keep the TNG remastered team together for DS9 in order to save time and money and to get the best quality remastering possible. This argument is so strong that some think if CBS disbands the team there will not be another Star Trek remastering project for a long time to come.

So to prevent a brain drain from this team CBS will have to tell them imminently that they will be keeping their jobs or they will end up having commitments elsewhere come the end of the year.

Thirdly, CBS surely has all the info it needs right now to make this decision. Or at least it won't gain any substantial new information in the next 6 months that will drastically change the situation. Also what kind of planning cycles does a studio like CBS operate on? Surely a massive project like remastering DS9 can't be decided on an ad hoc basis. Surely just putting all the financial and legal commitments in place would take many months at least.

Therefore if it hasn't been decided by now it simply isn't going to happen. Unless there is something significant I have overlooked in all this?
Old April 5 2014, 05:38 PM   #209
Hober Mallow
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
I agree with everything stated here. If DS9-HD hasn't been given the go-ahead by now, it likely isn't going to happen.
Oh ye of little faith.
Old April 5 2014, 08:29 PM   #210
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Oh ye of little faith.
I don't mean publicly announced. I'm talking about behind-the-scenes. I'm sure that CBS has already made a decision one way or the other.