March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Retro Review: When It Rains…
By: Michelle on Feb 27

Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 8 2014, 03:44 AM   #151
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Speaking of Riker, the scene from that alien abduction episode in which he floats into a portal made me LOL back in the day and it still does in HD.
Old March 9 2014, 09:06 PM   #152
M
Vice Admiral

Cross-posting from the DS9 on Blu-ray thread: Here, I did one those screenshot comparison thingies. Look at all the glorious detail!

Something weird I noticed while doing this, though: (1.) I had to strech the original image quite a bit horizontally to make it fit the remastered one, (2.) they reversed the shot for the trailer and (3.) there's apparently an error, because in the original the nacelle cap on the right is behind the docking pylon. In the remastered shot it's placed in front of it! Or am I seeing it wrong?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 09:11 PM   #153
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I think the nacelle is in the foreground in both shots, it's just that the first shot is really blurry. IIRC, the docking pylon or airlock or whatever they call it connects to the side of the saucer, so it makes sense that the nacelle would be in the foreground.
Old March 9 2014, 09:24 PM   #154
M
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I think the nacelle is in the foreground in both shots, it's just that the first shot is really blurry. IIRC, the docking pylon or airlock or whatever they call it connects to the side of the saucer, so it makes sense that the nacelle would be in the foreground.
Actually, no. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not connected to the saucer, but to the secondary hull. Like in this shot from "11001001". So actually, it would make more sense for the nacelle to be behind the pylon.
Old March 9 2014, 10:20 PM   #155
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Yup, here's a much better angle to get the idea of where the Enterprise was docked.

MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 11:50 PM   #156
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

M wrote: View Post
Cross-posting from the DS9 on Blu-ray thread: Here, I did one those screenshot comparison thingies. Look at all the glorious detail!

Something weird I noticed while doing this, though: (1.) I had to strech the original image quite a bit horizontally to make it fit the remastered one
Where did you get the SD image? It looks a bit worse than the DVD, almost like it came from YouTube. That could be why you had to distort it so much to line it up. It could either be NTSC or PAL originally as well which have different pixel aspect ratios (0.9 for NTSC and 1.09 for PAL). The new remaster should be considered geometrically correct, of course, since it is based off of a fresh scan of the original 35mm negatives and there's no telecine lens distortion anymore.
Old March 10 2014, 12:56 AM   #157
Hober Mallow
Commodore

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Yup, here's a much better angle to get the idea of where the Enterprise was docked.
That image doesn't appear to match the other shot at all. In that one, the nacelle looks to be above the pylon. In fact, it doesn't look like the pylon could possibly extend all the way to either the secondary hull or the saucer.

I'm guessing we weren't supposed to scrutinize it this carefully.
Old March 10 2014, 01:25 AM   #158
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

That's odd, the frame is 1500x1065, which is 1.41:1. Much too wide.
jimbotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 03:08 AM   #159
Tosk
Rear Admiral

For what it's worth, in the original shots from Emissary the port nacelle is in front of the pylon.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 11:28 AM   #160
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester

Season 6 is now available for pre-order from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
Old March 10 2014, 06:27 PM   #161
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Pre-ordered both Season Six and Chain of Command!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2014, 09:34 AM   #162
M
Vice Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Where did you get the SD image? It looks a bit worse than the DVD, almost like it came from YouTube. That could be why you had to distort it so much to line it up. It could either be NTSC or PAL originally as well which have different pixel aspect ratios (0.9 for NTSC and 1.09 for PAL). The new remaster should be considered geometrically correct, of course, since it is based off of a fresh scan of the original 35mm negatives and there's no telecine lens distortion anymore.
Yup, you are right. I took both screencaps on YouTube. I tried making one from the DVD, but it came out even worse, with really noticeable scan lines all over the image. I guess there's something off about my screencapping technique. So I opted for the YouTube clip.

As for the distortion: I didn't argue that the old image was more correct or something like that. I was merely pointing out that I had to stretch it to match the remastered shot. jimbotron, the weird aspect ratio is a result of me cropping the image on all sides to hide overlapping effects where one screenshot ended but the other went on.

So, turns out I'm pretty crappy at doing these comparison thingies. But still, I think my comparison rather nicely illustrates how much better the remasterd image quality is, even though my sources are questionable. Does anyone have a better shot of the original DVD image?
Old March 11 2014, 11:15 PM   #163
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Does anyone have a better shot of the original DVD image?
Here you go. I chose an earlier frame with a little more of the Enterprise in it, without sacrificing too much more of the station:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/66228
Old March 11 2014, 11:26 PM   #164
M
Vice Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Does anyone have a better shot of the original DVD image?
Here you go. I chose an earlier frame with a little more of the Enterprise in it, without sacrificing too much more of the station:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/66228
That does look better than my one, thank you! Boy, it never gets old to see how much detail can be brought out of the original footage.
Old March 12 2014, 05:35 PM   #165
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Something weird I noticed while doing this, though: (1.) I had to strech the original image quite a bit horizontally to make it fit the remastered one, (2.) they reversed the shot for the trailer and (3.) there's apparently an error, because in the original the nacelle cap on the right is behind the docking pylon. In the remastered shot it's placed in front of it! Or am I seeing it wrong?

I just thought I'd quote my response from the DS9 thread regarding your third point.

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
I think you just have two slightly different shots that you are comparing. As the shot starts the nacelle cap appears to be hidden by the pylon but as the shot moves up and the perspective changes the nacelle cap is revealed. At least that's what I'm seeing from the video you linked.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote