RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,942
Posts: 5,390,581
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 638
Newest member: Jadakiss

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 30 2014, 12:32 AM   #76
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: NFL Offseason '14: Wake me up when minicamps start

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
No one commenting on DeSean Jackson being cut by the Eagles? He always struck me as a person who would do stupid things on the field occasionally and disappear occasionally, but the disappearing act never seemed related to character issues and I never really noticed any off the field character issues. However, every player who was an on the field showboater who was never thought to have off the field issues ended up having off the field issues (Owens, Moss, etc.). His reported ties to gangs seemed to be the catalyst. Perhaps it's overblown. I'm not sure I would have made this decision just yet without knowing more, but I can also not wanting to see it blowing up in their face. They don't want another Aaron Hernandez situation.
The timing of it is incredibly fishy, though. This was obviously in the works for weeks, given their attempts to trade him and how urgently they worked to re-sign Maclin and Cooper. I mean, they only cut him an hour before the gang story broke -- which is a semi-slimy move on their part, considering how hard they were working to deal him. "Here, have this guy. By the way you're going to get hit by a circumstantial, unsubstantiated story that he has ties to gangs, enjoy."
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 11:52 PM   #77
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
NFL - 2014 Offseason

No offseason NFL thread, so I thought I'd start one beginning with the 2014 draft which is coming to a close.

My Bears have some interesting picks, and a couple head-scratchers.

#14 Kyle Fuller CB-Va.Tech - Good choice, they need secondary help more than anything

#51 Ego Ferguson DT-LSU - Still good, they also need defensive line help

#82 Will Sutton DT-Az.State - See above

#117 Ka'Deem Carey RB-Az. - It's good to take a young RB at this point. The backups weren't stellar last year

#131 Brock Vereen S-Minn. - They traded their fifth round pick to get a second shot in the fourth round. Looks like a good call.

#183 Davis Fales QB-San Jose State - Another late round QB that will never see action with the Bears?

#191 Patrick O'Donnell P-Miami(FL) - Some competition for Podlesh and that's about it?

#246 Charles Leno OL-Boise State - Can't hurt to have some fresh depth on the O-Line
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 03:33 AM   #78
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

As a Cowboys fan I am somewhat proud of Jerry and the gang. This draft was a victory to me as soon as Manziel's name was printed on a Browns jersey. The Cowboys are building a line that will remind people of the mid 90's wall that protected Aikemen, which is going to be very important with a QB recovering from back surgery. The first round pick of Martin helps Romo and more importantly, Demarco Murray. The rest was heavy on Defense.

Michael Sam getting draft towards the end was a cool moment but prepare for the scum of society to act like him kissing his boyfriend is the end of modern society.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 09:16 PM   #79
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

My Rams had a very good draft, I think.

No receivers, so they must have confidence in the current crew...we'll see. With Robinson joining the O Line I hope to see Bradford upright for a majority of the season...



As for Michael Sam...this is interesting from a football point of view, not just a social one. SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year lasts until round 7? He is a bit small for an NFL DE, and is probably going to need to reinvent himself as a linebacker.

I wish the kid good luck. It is a pretty cool thing. Hopefully the knuckleheads out there will keep it professional.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 11:06 PM   #80
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

1001001 wrote: View Post
My Rams had a very good draft, I think.

No receivers, so they must have confidence in the current crew...we'll see. With Robinson joining the O Line I hope to see Bradford upright for a majority of the season...



As for Michael Sam...this is interesting from a football point of view, not just a social one. SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year lasts until round 7? He is a bit small for an NFL DE, and is probably going to need to reinvent himself as a linebacker.

I wish the kid good luck. It is a pretty cool thing. Hopefully the knuckleheads out there will keep it professional.
The Rams were pretty much playing with house money by the time they got to Sam so I should have seen that pick coming. He will be struggling for playing time but he will go to a great coaching staff that can use his talents to supplement an increasingly scary defense. Rams killed it in the draft.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 01:16 AM   #81
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

Sam lasted that long because no one wanted to take him early and be accused of doing it because of the situation. I still wouldn't want him on my team, not because he's gay or because he's a bad player. This is going to be Tim Tebow Round II: a media circus that will turn him into a lightning rod.
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 04:02 AM   #82
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

Use of Time wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
My Rams had a very good draft, I think.

No receivers, so they must have confidence in the current crew...we'll see. With Robinson joining the O Line I hope to see Bradford upright for a majority of the season...



As for Michael Sam...this is interesting from a football point of view, not just a social one. SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year lasts until round 7? He is a bit small for an NFL DE, and is probably going to need to reinvent himself as a linebacker.

I wish the kid good luck. It is a pretty cool thing. Hopefully the knuckleheads out there will keep it professional.
The Rams were pretty much playing with house money by the time they got to Sam so I should have seen that pick coming. He will be struggling for playing time but he will go to a great coaching staff that can use his talents to supplement an increasingly scary defense. Rams killed it in the draft.
I hope so.

Playing in the same division as the Seahawks and the 49ers, the Rams need to step it up.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 03:10 AM   #83
chrisspringob
Commodore
 
Location: North Ryde, NSW
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Sam lasted that long because no one wanted to take him early and be accused of doing it because of the situation. I still wouldn't want him on my team, not because he's gay or because he's a bad player. This is going to be Tim Tebow Round II: a media circus that will turn him into a lightning rod.
OK, but wouldn't it be morally problematic to pass on drafting him because of fears of a media storm generated by people's reaction to who he is, not something that he can control about himself?

I mean, can you imagine when the first black player was drafted, a GM saying "Well, *I'm* not racist, but this guy is different from the other players in the league, and so drafting him would be a distraction"? (Of course, they might have said something like that, but I don't think it's a sentiment that should be respected.)

To quote Ta-Nehisi Coates from the column he wrote after Sam came out:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...player/283706/

"The NFL has no moral right to be "ready" for a gay player, which is to say it has no right to discriminate against gay men at its leisure which anyone is bound to respect."
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 03:23 AM   #84
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
No offseason NFL thread
Ahem.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:08 PM   #85
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

^ Where was that? There was only 1 page of threads. Can you merge please?

ETA, that thread is not showing on the sports & fitness page, even now.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:26 PM   #86
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

We could just consider this the draft discussion thread.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:31 PM   #87
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

1001001 wrote: View Post

As for Michael Sam...this is interesting from a football point of view, not just a social one. SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year lasts until round 7? He is a bit small for an NFL DE, and is probably going to need to reinvent himself as a linebacker.
I don't buy that he's too small to play Defensive End. He's only five pounds lighter and three inches shorter than #1 pick Jadaveon Clowney.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:48 PM   #88
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

That's because it probably fell off the first page (when there wasn't much to discuss since March). You have to set it to display older posts. I'll bump the thread, but a merge would be in order.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 12:49 PM   #89
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NFL Offseason '14: Wake me up when minicamps start

Bump for the NFL Draft (and to merge with this thread).
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2014, 01:09 PM   #90
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: NFL - 2014 Offseason

BillJ wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post

As for Michael Sam...this is interesting from a football point of view, not just a social one. SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year lasts until round 7? He is a bit small for an NFL DE, and is probably going to need to reinvent himself as a linebacker.
I don't buy that he's too small to play Defensive End. He's only five pounds lighter and three inches shorter than #1 pick Jadaveon Clowney.
Not too small but too short and not strong enough to play line in the NFL. He would struggle mightily going up against a good o-line. He was drafted pretty much where he was expect to go if he was even going to be drafted at all. He just isn't strong enough to play the line and too slow to be a good linebacker. He is going to end up being a situational piece to a blitz package every once in awhile allowing someone to take a breather for a play. Special teams is another area where he has a chance to make the team.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.