IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 8 2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Jax
Admiral

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

In one month on June 12th the 20th "World Cup" will kick off in Brazil for the first time since 1950. 32 Nations over 8 Groups and 64 games in total to crown the champions of World Football.

"Spain" will be looking to join Brazil and Italy as the only nations ever to successfully defend the World Cup after their debut win back in 2010 over Holland in the final 1-0. Meanwhile "Brazil" will be wanting to join the likes of Uruguay, Italy, England, Germany, Argentina and France as host nations who win the World Cup in their own backyard having lost the final back in 1950.

June 12th will see "Brazil" kick off the World Cup against "Croatia" in "Sao Paulo" and on July 13th the World Cup Final will decide who will come out as champions. So how will your team go, what squads do you hope for and will Brazil the soul of football live up to the hype and produce a magical world cup this summer.

If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

England will be embarrassingly inept, barely scrape out of the group stages and crash out against 'inferior' opposition.

Again.
Old May 8 2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Jax
Admiral

England have not gone out the opening group stage since 1958 and I remember the same thing said when we were placed in the 2002 group of death but...

Italy will dominate the opening game much like the quarter final "Euro 2012" fixture and Uruguay despite not being good as 4 years ago when they finished 4th or 3 years ago when they won the Copa America, they are in their own backyard with a striker whose in the top 3 of world football IMO. Even Costa Rica could take a point off a damaged and confidence battered England side. I don't doubt the squad we are building but I do doubt the manager's negative tactics, which rubs off on our players and no doubt chips away at their ability on the field. Also combine injuries + Hodgson most likely refusal to pick & use a lot of young exciting players, I can't see us getting out the group stage.

England 0-1 Italy
England 1-2 Uruguay
England 2-1 Costa Rica

Eliminated in 3rd place with 3pts
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old May 10 2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Relayer1
Commodore

Jeez, and I thought I was a pessimist !

Even I've got hopes we'll get out of the group stage...
Old May 12 2014, 01:18 AM   #5
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I'm really interested to see what happens in Group G. I don't think there's one team that can really run away with it.
Old May 12 2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Jax
Admiral

I do enjoy some prediction time...

Group A
Brazil
Mexico
Croatia
Cameroon

Group B
Spain
Chile
Netherlands
Australia

Group C
Colombia
Ivory Coast

Japan
Greece

Group D
Uruguay
Italy

England
Costa Rica

Group E
Ecuador
France
Switzerland
Honduras

Group F
Argentina
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Nigeria
Iran

Group G
Germany
Portugal

USA
Ghana

Group H
Belgium
Korea Republic
Russia
Algeria
Old May 12 2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Relayer1
Commodore

I like the idea of Hodgson dropping the remnants of the old guard and going with young team who actually might WANT to play. There's just enough mature heads there to stop the youngsters going off the rails (and hopefully keep Rooney away front pensioners).

I'd much rather see us get eliminated for being young and inexperienced than for being jaded and disinterested...
Old May 12 2014, 03:11 PM   #8
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

England has been the most overrated team in the World Cup for the last 20 years. The last good England team was in Italia 90.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Jax
Admiral

England has been the most overrated team in the World Cup for the last 20 years. The last good England team was in Italia 90
A tad harsh the 1998 World Cup team was techinally a superior team to the last couple and was only beaten by a shootout + a goal being disallowed that any other day would of been given. The 2002 World Cup team played well overall and was our best shot alongside 1990 & 1970 of winning the thing probably since 1966. Now the 2006 team despite reaching the last 8 never played well and the 2010 team was dreadful only beaten by the Graham Taylor team of 92-93 that didn't even qualify.

I'll remind you other big nations have struggled in the last 20 years, France may of won it in 1998 but didn't make 1994 and went out in the group stage in 2002 & 2010. Holland didn't make it to 2002, Italy crashed out in a very easy group in 2010 while they were the defending champions and Argentina went out in the group stage in 2002 and have not made it past the last 8 since 1990 despite being a so called great team.

Back to England I am excited for 2016 & 2018 though with the likes of Stones, Flanagan, Shaw, Barkley, Chamberlain, Sterling, Henderson, Townsend, Sturridge and some other surprises maybe like the Wilson kid at Utd or even Wickham at Sunderland.
Old May 12 2014, 04:36 PM   #10
Roger Wilco
Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
England has been the most overrated team in the World Cup for the last 20 years.
Not really, outside of England anyway.
Old May 12 2014, 11:52 PM   #11
Jax
Admiral

Speaking of England we named our squad today and overall not a bad one though my problem is still with Hodgson's more reserved tactics rather than the players themselves...

Fraser Forster, Ben Foster, Joe Hart

Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling

Ross Barkley, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Jack Wilshere

Rickie Lambert, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck
Standby List...

John Ruddy, Jon Flanagan, John Stones, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe
I would of liked to see Stones in over Smalling, Huddlestone in over Lampard to give some cover in the holding role and while I like Rickie as a player I would only play 1 upfront so 3 strikers would be enough and I would take Flanagan over Lambert to provide cover at RB.

Wilshere should have to complete 90 mins against Peru at the end of May or be replaced as well since he's missed so much of the season.
Old May 13 2014, 10:44 AM   #12
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

What is the official 2014 World Cup song ?
Old May 13 2014, 01:37 PM   #13
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

While waiting for the official song to be revealed by FIFA.

Here is one song to get folks into the mood.

Old May 13 2014, 06:10 PM   #14
Jax
Admiral

This one is good too

Old May 13 2014, 06:37 PM   #15
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Honestly I can't see how any team can win this other than Brazil. Not necessarily because they are the best team (although they very well might be), but because it would be a national tragedy if they don't. And if everything else fails, the refs will help them.

Otherwise, I don't really care. I'm conflicted on whether I want Spain to win again - on one hand I don't like their style, on the other hand they are a historically great team imo, and winning yet again would emphasise that status that I think they deserve.

Germany winning would suck, but luckily I don't see that as likely anyway. Belgium would be fun, or maybe someone like Colombia.
Looking at the odds I'm tempted to put a little bit of money on Bosnia. How amazing would that be?