Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 9 2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Fleet Captain Krogan

I've been meaning to make note of this for a while, but keep forgetting and/or missing opportunities to bring it up in something resembling a sensible context.

In A Time To Kill, the Klingon Fleet Captain leading the assault force poised to attack Tezwa is named Krogan. The krogan are the "Proud Warrior Race" of another sci-fi setting, Mass Effect. Since A Time to Kill predates that game series, this is a coincidence. Still, it's an amusing one, no?

'Krogan' is a fine Klingon name, but now it's even finer.

Here's to the aptly named Fleet Captain Krogan. Now there's a Klingon who surely has a quad.
Old May 10 2014, 04:40 AM   #2
JD
Admiral

Re: Fleet Captain Krogan

Could it be a reference to something?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Probably just coincidence. English-speakers often use names with "K" or "Kr" sounds in them to connote strength and toughness, and there may be a resonance with German krieg, meaning war. Plus a lot of alien names in fiction are coined based on slight variations on familiar names, and "Krogan" is reminiscent of the Gaelic name "Grogan" (which comes from a root meaning anger or fierceness, by the way, though that's probably coincidence).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Jarvisimo
Commander

I think the Krogan do have a few -deliberate - Klingon allusions. But they also, as Christopher, infers seem drawn from the generic melting pot of tough warrior aliens. Still headbutting, clans and Michael Dorn all seem quite thlingon in nature...

Old May 11 2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

In that case, "Krogan" sounds like it was derived from its resemblance to "Klingon," so it's not that surprising that it would coincidentally show up as an actual Klingon name. There are only so many ways to put sounds together. And there have been so many Klingon names coined by now that it's a statistical likelihood that at least one of them would be coincidentally identical to a name used in another fictional context.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I wonder what Klingons would think of krogan, given that for all their warrior prowess the krogan are, in their natural state, the hunted as much as the hunter, if not more so? Krogan are basically their planet's equivalent of rabbits, ecologically speaking. Which is largely why they're so aggressive.
Old May 12 2014, 05:16 AM   #7
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Could it be a reference to something?
It's actually a reference to Mass Effect. David Mack can see the future... don't let him tell you otherwise!

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I wonder what Klingons would think of krogan, given that for all their warrior prowess the krogan are, in their natural state, the hunted as much as the hunter, if not more so? Krogan are basically their planet's equivalent of rabbits, ecologically speaking. Which is largely why they're so aggressive.
Krogan: When I came of age, a bunch of warriors poked me with painsticks!
krogan: Yeah? I had to go up against a Thresher Maw. Your move, Klingon.
Krogan: Um, well, there were a *lot* of painsticks...
Old May 12 2014, 06:35 AM   #8
Skywalker
Admiral

"Picard."
"Worf."
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote