Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old February 13 2014, 03:09 PM   #121
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

Halliwell wrote: View Post
I mean let's be real here, we all know why the McKenna character exists. I enjoy her as an actor but the character doesn't fit.
"We" do? Could you fill in this member of the We collective, because I seem to have missed the staff memo.
Old February 13 2014, 03:20 PM   #122
Warped9
Admiral

Professor Moriarty wrote: View Post
Halliwell wrote: View Post
I mean let's be real here, we all know why the McKenna character exists. I enjoy her as an actor but the character doesn't fit.
"We" do? Could you fill in this member of the We collective, because I seem to have missed the staff memo.
I believe Michelle Specht is Vic Mignogna's fiancé.

Wow, talk about history repeating itself.
Old February 13 2014, 05:54 PM   #123
Duane
Captain

I welcome her in STC. She can act, and she does it well.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 06:04 PM   #124
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I agree. Michelle Specht is the best actor on the show, after Vic. And unlike the others, her character has chemistry with Captain Kirk.

I like that they've essentially filled the vacant Janice Rand role with a recurring Helen Noelle- giving her something more to do than get Kirk coffee and scream.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 06:44 PM   #125
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Specht is a fine actress and I think it's somewhat denigrating to her and the performances she's given to assume that the only reason she's there is because she's Vic's partner. Who cares? She's playing a dynamic, new character. It's hardly the end of the world.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 07:08 PM   #126
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I have no problem with the addition of a ship's counselor, and Michelle Specht is certainly capable in the role.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 09:29 PM   #127
Warped9
Admiral

As I've said before I don't have a problem with the character of Dr. Elise McKennah per se. I certainly don't have a problem with Michelle Specht's performance. What I question is how the character is utilized in the TOS setting.

TOS was primarily Kirk, Spock and McCoy with the supporting cast filling in as needed, Now STC has dropped the Nurse Chapel character, one not all that integral to the TOS series, and plugged in a character that is getting more screen time than the original supporting TOS characters. She is also being used in places where Spock and McCoy would previously have been used. In some measure her presence is cutting into the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic. Doing that occasionally is one thing, but doing it always (if they indeed do that) will be a problem in my view.

In all honesty Uhura could have easily fulfilled most of what McKennah did in both "Pilgrim Of Eternity" and particularly in "Lolani."

I admit I'm not impressed with most of what I've seen in fan productions which makes it very easy to focus on so many things I don't like and feel they get wrong in terms of what I'd rather see. But in STC's case they have gotten so much right that I'm inclined to be more forgiving and allow for some things I normally wouldn't care for as long as everything else stays on track overall.

So far I find Elise McKennah a lot easier to like than Deanna Troi, a character I absolutely never could stand from the get-go. In my view Troi was rarely utilized properly and I never cared for the actress either. All that could have changed, or at least benn tempered, with a better actress and if the character had been better utilized. But overall I found Troi to be largely redundant and useless on TNG as she was utilized. Too bad Denise Crosby was a bad actress because I thought Tasha Yar was a much more interesting character than Deanna Troi.

So in the long run it will depend on how Elise McKennah is utilized and how much they allow her character to change the dynamic of the TOS characters as well as the TOS vibe in storytelling.
Old February 13 2014, 09:31 PM   #128
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

My only issue with Michelle Specht's role is that I would have rather had the part she plays in the story spread out amongst the existing ST characters like Spock, Bones, and Uhura. She's a perfectly good actress, and I have no problem with the character, I just like more of a focus on the characters I came to watch.

I do find there's more of a TNG sensibility to the scripts, and Vic's Kirk seems to have a command style that's closer to Picard's than Shatner's Kirk. It was more prominent in the first episode, but I can still see traces in this one.

I liked that the main characters had a moral quandary, but I think they missed something by having Kirk's final decision come too late to affect the outcome. I would like to see Kirk's decision-making drive the final outcome of the next episode.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 10:26 PM   #129
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

The thing that I find baffling here and with Phase 2 is the diminution of Spock, who was THE breakout character of the original show and one of the most "fascinating" characters of the series. Maybe you need Nimoy-like talent to pull that character off, but no one ever even seems to try to write Spock an interesting role.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; February 13 2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: corrected a mistake
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 10:31 PM   #130
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
The thing that I find baffling here and with Phase 2 is the diminution of Spock, who was THE breakdown character of the original show and one of the most "fascinating" characters of the series. Maybe you need Nimoy-like talent to pull that character off, but no one ever even seems to try to write Spock an interesting role.
The only time I ever found Spock interesting in a fan film was in "World Enough in Time." I remember him having a very nice and well-acted conversation about identity.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 10:32 PM   #131
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

The thing that I find baffling here and with Phase 2 is the diminution of Spock, who was THE breakdown character of the original show and one of the most "fascinating" characters of the series. Maybe you need Nimoy-like talent to pull that character off, but no one ever even seems to try to write Spock an interesting role.
To be honest, I often find Spock to be one of the weaker links in fan-film casting, as it's a role that I don't think any of the fan groups has done particularly well.

It may be a minor thing, but I can't help but wonder if the general use of actors with higher voices in fan films might be partially to blame as I find it robs the role of some of its dignity.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 11:05 PM   #132
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

DCR wrote: View Post

It may be a minor thing, but I can't help but wonder if the general use of actors with higher voices in fan films might be partially to blame as I find it robs the role of some of its dignity.
You know, I hadn't thought of this at all. You're right, it's entirely minor, but it does seem rather prevalent in the fan film casts -- The only Spock that really has resonated with me was Ben Tolpin in "Blood and Fire," and looking back on it, even that is memorable largely because of the timbre of his voice.

Then again, there are a ton of minor nitpicks that we could level at the various fan films. One that constantly takes me "out" of the story, no matter the rationalization of the fan film production team, is simply the TOS look/approach to facial hair. Exeter and Continues are about the only productions who have chosen to maintain that particular aesthetic from TOS. From a real world perspective, I suppose I understand why fan film actors might not want to shave their beards or cut their hair, but it does serve to pop me out of the bubble they are attempting to create in their efforts to get us to think we're watching TOS all over again.

As for McKennah, again, I think she's a fine character and I don't have any problem with her supposedly taking lines that could have been given to the other characters. Maybe it'd be different if Specht wasn't as good an actress or didn't have the chemistry with Vic that she does (again, something that is really hard to capture on film whether its there in real life or not), but she does have that chemistry and she is a perfectly competent actress.

I'm not seeing the problem.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 12:15 AM   #133
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

I never got the resistance to shaving for a role. It grows back, after all.

For one of my short films the lead not only was willing to take his beard off, but sport a pencil mustache AND get a 1940 style haircut...this for a single day shoot.
Old February 14 2014, 12:48 AM   #134
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I never got the resistance to shaving for a role. It grows back, after all.

For one of my short films the lead not only was willing to take his beard off, but sport a pencil mustache AND get a 1940 style haircut...this for a single day shoot.
In our case at Phase II, our actors have bern perfectly willing to grow facial hair or grow their hair longer in keeping with the late-70s style of the aborted Phase II series and in keeping with the long hair and facial hair that was being allowed in the U.S. Navy at that time. The 70's style we maintain is an artistic production decision, not an individual cast member decision.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 01:02 AM   #135
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

As I recall the fashion for beards and mustaches (I hate the term "facial hair"....it sounds like it's from a beauty ad: "eliminate unwanted facial hair") was very stache and sideburn-centric, and where guys had beards, they weren't the close-cropped modern beard. You certainly didn't see guys with the DeSalle length buzz beards.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; February 14 2014 at 05:09 AM.