Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old February 9 2014, 02:39 PM   #31
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

STC's FaceBook page is overflowing with gushing praise. I can't blame fans hungry for genuine feeling Star Trek.

I, myself, loved this on so many levels. That said there a number of critiques and observations I could make, but they all would be out of love for TOS and the respect for what these folks are trying to do.

I can't in all good conscience rate it a 10, but I can give it an 8.

A big plus for this is the kind of stories they're trying to do. In the greater scheme of things the events in these stories are small scale, but that doesn't make them unimportant or any less poignant. They get that many of TOS' best moments were character drama as opposed to big space battles. I reiterate that I could easily see the original cast doing these stories.
Old February 9 2014, 04:31 PM   #32
STC-WebMaster
Cadet

Agreed on pretty much every point.

I made one similar point in a letter to the STC production: stop trying to connect the dots. I made a point of saying, alright you've included a couple of TNG elements now leave it at that and do things the TOS way as if the other productions never happened.
Keep writing us. We appreciate getting word back from those who watch. Remember, we are fans just like you doing this out of passion for the show. Thank you for the kind words - and the critical ones.
STC-WebMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:36 PM   #33
Warped9
Admiral

STC-WebMaster wrote: View Post
Agreed on pretty much every point.

I made one similar point in a letter to the STC production: stop trying to connect the dots. I made a point of saying, alright you've included a couple of TNG elements now leave it at that and do things the TOS way as if the other productions never happened.
Keep writing us. We appreciate getting word back from those who watch. Remember, we are fans just like you doing this out of passion for the show. Thank you for the kind words - and the critical ones.
I'll reiterate that I loved it on so many levels, and the oberservations I have are out of a love for TOS and a great respect for what you folks are doing. And you are doing far more right than the few critiques I could make.

Maurice wrote: View Post
Bones should be spanked for not volunteering that he could inoculate the crew. Way to blow it, Doc.
In fairness McCoy had also been exposed to Lolani's pheramones so he mightn't have been thinking too clearly himself.

I didn't much care for Kirk kneeling to make nice with Lolani. I thought that was out of character. And the more I think of it, with all due respect to the McKennah character, Uhura as the go-between with Lolani would have been more dramtically effective. In the '60s Uhura was a huge symbol of how far things could change for blacks. Seeing her reaching out to Lolani representing another race being exploited and abused would have been really poignant.

Last edited by Warped9; February 9 2014 at 04:53 PM.
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 05:39 PM   #34
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

***SPOILERS***

Warning

***SPOILERS***

Alright, so the main problem I have is with the climax.

I found it completely implausible that Lolani alone could have blown up the Lief Ericson. Like the space Romans on 892-IV, the Orions have been handling slaves for a long time, and given that she had killed everyone aboard the Tellarite ship, Zaminon would have little motive to drop his guard.

If the episode is a whodunit, then the more plausible explanation is in fact that Kenway did it. He had motive, means, and opportunity (he left his post, remember?). Of course, getting Lolani off the Enterprise unseen might be a problem down the line, but if anyone could pull it off, a transporter chief could. The fact that Kirk never more openly considers the possibility that Kenway beamed Lolani off and blew up the ship himself, or admits complicity, even just man to man with Kenway, is, in my opinion, a missed opportunity. In contrast, the use of the word "stowaway" in the opening act 1 log entry was smirk-worthy, because she wasn't really a stowaway at that point.

Vic's performance of Kirk is to be praised, and this has quite possibly the best instance of Kirk's signature flying kick yet seen.

I enjoyed seeing the female guard and commodore, and I love Commodore Gray's uniform (what we saw of it). The irony in females oppressing females was apropos.

I give the episode high enough marks to rank among the TOS episodes.

Thank you.
Old February 9 2014, 06:02 PM   #35
Warped9
Admiral

There is that look between Kenway and Lolani at the end that suggests something. And then Kenway excuses himself after the beam out. From that point on different scenarios are suggested.

- Did Kenway already arrange a way for the ship to blow up and with Lolani's sanction knowing she would die also? (I think this is the most likely scenario)
- Did Kenway beam Lolani somewhere else and sent Ferrigno back to his ship? Problem with that is Ferrigno would have immediately began demanding Lolani's return.
- Even if Kenway got her hidden away somewhere he now has a problem of getting her off ship later.
- It's hard to imagine Lolani managed to blow up the ship herself given how she would have been watched and likely secured. Unless, perhaps, Kenway engineered a way for her to get loose.
Old February 9 2014, 06:05 PM   #36
Danlav05
Commander

I just finished and enjoyed the ep a lot more than the first one - I guess a main difference to Phase II (which I love) is this literally feels like a lost episode from the 60s.

There are TOS traits, just little things, I haven't seen in a while. Even filtering of the final footage. The story was good - a morality tale - and the acting was great, particularly Vic as Kirk and Doohan's spot on portrayal of his father' character. I'm surprised McCoy didn't get a bigger role, Larry Nemecek is good in the part.

Overall a fantastic episode and it gives me high hopes for their future episodes It would be cool to see a full-blown crossover with sister show Starship Farragut - it would be almost silly not to!
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 06:08 PM   #37
SeerSGB
Admiral

I thought for a moment it was a suicide pact--of sorts. The whole bit about making them vanish (can't remember the exact line) and the look Kenway and Lolani shareda look, the whole set up, made me think the "reveal" would be that he left her and the slave master scattered as energy. A merciful death over a hellish life.
Old February 9 2014, 07:03 PM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I thought for a moment it was a suicide pact--of sorts. The whole bit about making them vanish (can't remember the exact line) and the look Kenway and Lolani shareda look, the whole set up, made me think the "reveal" would be that he left her and the slave master scattered as energy. A merciful death over a hellish life.
Oooo, I hadn't thought of that. That also means Kenway would have had to engineer some way for the slaver's ship to get underway on automatic and then explode.
Old February 9 2014, 07:42 PM   #39
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Maurice wrote: View Post
His "accent" is, I think, due to his hearing loss. He speaks like many people I've met with who grew up with poor hearing. I can't speak with authority on that.
I don't care how this sounds, but frankly, Lou's speech impediment ended up enhanced his already excellent performance in the role.

His presence and demeanor already sold the idea that he was the space-equivalent to a ninteenth-century Southern slave trader; sophisticated and indulgent in conversation and feasting, yet brutal, and callously intelligent when it came to his business.

Credit also goes to the on-set direction, as Lou ends up sounding as someone who didn't grow up speaking our language, yet who's words reveal a stereotype we understand very well. Alien, and not so alien.

That is acting, and that's something that not many people without speech or hearing problems can pull off (which I can attest from the theatrical experience I have.)

Good casting and acting all around. Also, bald Hulk is good Hulk.

Having said that, I have to echo Maurice's critique of the VO on Kirk in the hallway. I actually criticized Exeter for doing this during one of Garrovick's scenes, but here it's both narratively unnecessary and stylistically baffling (TOS never did that, and I can't remember any other shows at the time doing that either.)

Plus, the voice effects added to Lou (which I understand the need for just in terms of normalizing audio) actually made it difficult to understand him in spots unless the camera focused on him (which is okay, since he's excellent at facial expressions). That's a difficult thing to judge objectively, but it's something I noticed.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!

Last edited by USS Mariner; February 9 2014 at 07:53 PM.
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 08:28 PM   #40
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Without commenting on the dramatic appropriateness of Kirk's VoiceOver, Star Trek actually did it a couple of times that I can come up with off the top of my head. "Kirok" did it, and Spock did it when reflecting on Droxine, Vanna, and Stratos.

"These last few weeks, my love for Miramanee grows stronger with each passing day. However, the dreams return every night. Fragments of memories. I can almost get hold of them, and then...."

"This troubled planet is a place of the most violent contrasts. Those who receive the rewards are totally separated from those who shoulder the burdens. It is not a wise leadership. Here on Stratos, everything is incomparably beautiful and pleasant. The High Advisor's charming daughter Droxine, particularly so. The name Droxine seems appropriate for her. I wonder, can she retain such purity and sweetness of mind and be aware of the life of the people on the surface of the planet? There, the harsh life in the mines is instilling the people with a bitter hatred. The young girl who led the attack against us when we beamed down was filled with the violence of desperation. If the lovely Droxine knew of the young miner's misery, I wonder how the knowledge would affect her."
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 08:59 PM   #41
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

This episode did not pull its punches. You never saw what Spock saw in mindmelds in TOS that I recall.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 09:01 PM   #42
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

My wife watched it all the way through! As far as I'm concerned, there is no higher praise.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 09:19 PM   #43
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
***SPOILERS***

Warning

***SPOILERS***
Then why not use the SPOILER button, eh?

MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 09:43 PM   #44
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

So, the "message" is that foreign cultures use our political apparatus to undermine our values? Disappointing.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 10:26 PM   #45
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

Re-watched it again today and came away just as impressed. And I have to echo the sentiment of those who said this "feels" the most like a lost episode of any film to date.

Something like "World Enough and Time" is an incredible achievement, as it was very well-made and compelling drama, but I never had the sense that I was watching a lost TOS episode. "Lolani" recreates that atmosphere and those details extremely well and, on top of that, STC also produced a highly engaging story with rich performances.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote