The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 21 2014, 01:05 AM   #331
feek61
Captain

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

No offense taken at all.

Take care
Old March 21 2014, 02:21 AM   #332
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

On a separate note.. I like the cast. But for some reason, when I look at the Kirk. I keep expecting him to sell me a new car with Tru-coat from the factory I never ordered!
Old March 21 2014, 03:18 PM   #333
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
See, I don't take the story at face value as to what it's "about". Yes, they're talking about slavery, but the metaphor is about people being disenfranchised because of their sex, which applies to groups like the Taliban as much as to slave trade.
Interesting as always, Maurice.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 05:47 PM   #334
Warped9
Admiral

Barbreader wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
See, I don't take the story at face value as to what it's "about". Yes, they're talking about slavery, but the metaphor is about people being disenfranchised because of their sex, which applies to groups like the Taliban as much as to slave trade.
Interesting as always, Maurice.
It's a good point. A story can work on more than one level.
Old March 21 2014, 08:22 PM   #335
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

In this case, Lolani serves as the McGuffin (the prize everyone wants) but the real story is as Maurice pointed out, about more than just black and white questions of slavery.
MikeH92467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 02:02 AM   #336
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
In this case, Lolani serves as the McGuffin (the prize everyone wants) but the real story is as Maurice pointed out, about more than just black and white questions of slavery.
Lolani isn't a MacGuffin. She's the representation of the larger plight writ small and made manifest in a single character so the audience can relate.
Old March 22 2014, 05:53 AM   #337
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

Ryan Thomas Riddle wrote: View Post
Lolani isn't a MacGuffin. She's the representation of the larger plight writ small and made manifest in a single character so the audience can relate.
Yeah, I didn't get that either. MacGuffin would be if Kirk and Kenway were each simultaneously plotting to enslave her in addition to Mr. Ferrigno's character.
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 03:23 PM   #338
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

She was the center of attention. The ostensible point of the story, while the story was, as Maurice pointed out, about much more than just her plight as a slave. The fact that the story could be interpreted in various ways speaks well of the effort that went into it.
MikeH92467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2014, 04:45 PM   #339
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

She was the center of attention. The ostensible point of the story, while the story was, as Maurice pointed out, about much more than just her plight as a slave. The fact that the story could be interpreted in various ways speaks well of the effort that went into it.
Yes, Lolaini is the center of attention. She was the catalyst for the story. Yes, the story is about something larger as Maurice points out, but that's theme.

Lolani isn't a MacGuffin. She isn't some object that everyone desires like the Maltese Falcon, the quintessential MacGuffin. Kirk and crew want to help her, but they don't desire her. Only Lolani's slaver desires her. And the story wouldn't work without Lolani, you couldn't replace her with some other object or character. A MacGuffin is something which, in the end, doesn't matter what it is — a briefcase, the Holy Grail, the Rabbit's Claw, Godot, the Golden Fleece — and the story remains the same. Can't really do that here.

Lolani is our in to the larger theme of the story. She is the manifestation of that theme, so that we as an audience can understand the larger plight through her struggle.
Old March 23 2014, 03:53 AM   #340
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I just watched it and I thought it was a pretty good episode. Vic was even better as Kirk, having his mannerisms and reaction down pat. Chris Doohan looks and sounds even more like his father if that's possible.

Though there are storyline issues here that just don't work for me. Tellarites are supposed to be Federation citizens and it's stated they can't prosecute Lolani because she's not a Federation citizen. Doesn't that pretty much mean that any non-Federation citizen can kill or harm a Federation citizen and get away with it? That would lead to chaos. Not to mention those Tellarites committed a serious crime.

Governments are hypocritical but the Federation/Starfleet being so fanatical about sending Lolani back to her Orion slavers struck me as odd. If there was an angle like the Orion were offering something vital to the Federation or the usual standard corrupt admiral I can buy it. But I can't see the progressive Federation being so hell bent to send a slave back to her master. Not to mention you had the Orion assault Lolani and Kirk on their own ship.

The main problem is there is NO WAY Kirk would have sent Lolani back into slavery. He might be conflicted about it at first but ultimately he would disobey Starfleet and do what he thought was right. He wouldn't have been cowed by a superior officier. As good as Star Trek Continues is, Kirk handing a slave back to her master is not James T. Kirk.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2014, 03:57 AM   #341
Warped9
Admiral

^^ And the ending where Kirk is intent on retrieving Lolani goes to that point. He can't live with that decision of handing her over to Zaminhon. But now he has to live with it because if he had refused the order initially Lolani would still be alive.
Old March 26 2014, 11:18 PM   #342
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

feek61 wrote: View Post
As far as "Lolani" goes; some folks like it; some dont so it IS like TOS, lol.
Interesting take.

Ferrigno was great; believable as one who genuinely sees himself in the right (so he's not an over the top antagonist), yet the undercurrent of villainy was interesting.
Old March 27 2014, 02:25 AM   #343
Warped9
Admiral

It's been asked when Episode 3 will be released. Answer: this summer.

Apparently actress Kipleigh Brown (who guest starred in an ENT episode) will be a guest star in STC's Episode 3. From a hint from Eps. 3 director James Kerwin she might be playing someone in the command division and could be connected to (or reprising) a character from TOS.

Here is the podcast (scroll down) with the interview with Kipleigh Brown and James Kerwin: http://truepodcastmedia.com/mmoshows...mes-and-chase/
Old March 27 2014, 02:59 AM   #344
feek61
Captain

Funny how these little bits of info get out.

Both Kipleigh and James did an awesome job. I believe that this will be the best STC episode yet. During the shoot there was a great energy on set and the script is great. As with all of these fan productions; we probably won't please everyone but I think a majority will approve.

Last edited by feek61; March 27 2014 at 11:17 AM.
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 03:17 AM   #345
Warped9
Admiral

So far STC is two for two in my book. The episodes weren't perfect, but then quite a few TOS episodes weren't perfect either and I still enjoyed the hell out of them.

For me a major strength of STC (besides recreating that fantastic TOS vibe in look and feel and sound) is their choice of subject matter. They seem intent on going for more challenging kinds of drama. It isn't that fist fights or starship combat might not show up, but that isn't their main intent.

When Vic Mignogna said his favourite TOS episode was "Requiem For Methuselah" that gave me a sense of where he'd like this production to go. And I can respect that because that kind of story goes beyond conventional fanfic or fannish type material.

There is a sense with many that so much has been done in Star Trek that one can wonder what is left to be done, what is there left to address? Sadly a lot of things that were of concern in the 1960s are still with us in conjunction with other issues that are new to our times. "Lolani" touching upon the issue of human trafficking is acknowledgement of something going back thousands of years. "Lolani" was more upfront than an episode like "Gamesters Of Triskelion," but they each touched upon similar subject matter.

Racism is still with us. Religious extremism is still with us. Political corruption is still with us. War is still with us. Militarism is still with us. Economic inequality is still us. Those are but a few that Star Trek commented on among others and no reason these could not be revisited in new ways.

Of course, there's also some good old-fashioned space adventure to be had as well.

Last edited by Warped9; March 27 2014 at 03:28 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote