Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 7 2014, 02:48 AM   #316
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
If you're a TOS fan then here's a neat podcast. The podcast is called The Final TOS Wrap-up With Almost Everyone. It has Michael & Denise Okuda and later Vic Mignoga talking about TOS and some Trek in general: http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/supplemental
Look up thread, about two or three posts.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2014, 02:38 AM   #317
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

E-DUB wrote: View Post
The ideal instance of '60's minority casting was Greg Morris on "Mission Impossible". He wasn't the black gadget guy, he was just the gadget guy. But when an episode came up where racial matters were to be addressed he was already there as an audience-accepted cast member.
Well, it was the 1960s (and he wasn't an Asian woman) so he wouldn't be smooching with anyone non-black - similar to what Star Trek was doing at the time. I understand that some (white) viewers even had issues with Morris being in close proximity to Barbara Bain, according to an article I vaguely remember reading somewhere.

If he - Morris - was just the 'gadget guy' why would he be the 'go to' guy for any racial matters that suddenly arose? (Kind of a contradiction).
Old March 12 2014, 04:22 PM   #318
Warped9
Admiral

Fun little interview with Chris Doohan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZHDz1KEXj8

One neat little thing is a hint that Episode 3 might be a planet based story. Cool!
Old March 15 2014, 02:42 PM   #319
Warped9
Admiral

Interview of STC cast on Al Jazeera: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7we52goSY9k
Old March 15 2014, 04:51 PM   #320
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

That is awesome!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 09:46 AM   #321
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I finally watched this episode.

Ok, I respect what these people are doing.. filming new TOS, and all the details, yadda yadda yadda.

But this episode was all but unwatchable. I understand that ST can be social relevant when it wants to be.. but even that doesn't apply here. We don't have slaves today in this country. That being said, even if we can commend an episode for bringing out social issues through allegories, it still has to feel like Trek. But this episode is so stagnant and slow and preachy that it feels nothing like Trek. I mean it's too easy a target to pick on Orion Slave Girls and then have the crew put the their own morality up to it, but it's too obvious, too easy, and too on-the-nose, especially when slavery is part of the Orion culture... and the absurdity and wrongness of that culture was more effectively when done in passing, as in ENT's Borderlands. But this episode was far too slow, too bland, and too preachy. I can't respect it.
Old March 20 2014, 11:01 AM   #322
Warped9
Admiral

How do you know there is no slavery in North America? And human trafficking is widespread across the planet.

While not perfect I thought overall they did very well and I look forward to more of their work.

Apparently they've just finished principle filming on Episode 3.

Last edited by Warped9; March 20 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 11:59 AM   #323
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

There may be. Indeed.

There's also racism today, but for Star Trek to release (for the first time) the half-black, half white race episode today would be to "on the nose," too preachy, and a bit too dated... which is exactly how Lolani feels.

After a while, I felt that they were not even on a ship.. not because of the production design but just because of how slow and plodding and preachy the script got. The Orions are too blatant a target for something like this. And besides, whether we like it or not, the Orions (a part of Star Trek's vast milieu) use slavery as part of their culture. Remember the episode in Enterprise where they go to an Orion colony or something and see a slave auction. Archer's reaction was all that was necessary to drive the point home that slavery is wrong to him. In that episode it was part of the background, and it was presented in an interesting way, and the episode didn't preach it. It didn't bore us.

Of course, I also hated TNG's "Half a Life," which was similarly plodding and preachy and downright boring.
Old March 20 2014, 03:10 PM   #324
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
There may be. Indeed.

There's also racism today, but for Star Trek to release (for the first time) the half-black, half white race episode today would be to "on the nose," too preachy, and a bit too dated... which is exactly how Lolani feels.

After a while, I felt that they were not even on a ship.. not because of the production design but just because of how slow and plodding and preachy the script got. The Orions are too blatant a target for something like this. And besides, whether we like it or not, the Orions (a part of Star Trek's vast milieu) use slavery as part of their culture. Remember the episode in Enterprise where they go to an Orion colony or something and see a slave auction. Archer's reaction was all that was necessary to drive the point home that slavery is wrong to him. In that episode it was part of the background, and it was presented in an interesting way, and the episode didn't preach it. It didn't bore us.

Of course, I also hated TNG's "Half a Life," which was similarly plodding and preachy and downright boring.

I can't imagine you are old enough to have watched TOS first broadcast. I am. If you are that old, I recommend you get your memory tested. TOS WAS PREACHY. HELLO. While most of 1960 TV was go-along, get-along bland, TOS was entirely different, including it's willingness to speak directly to issues. As far as being slow is concerned, I suppose that's partly in the mind of each viewer. I didn't find this story slow, but clearly your experience is just as valid as mine.

You say that sex trade slavery is not an issue today. I take it that you live in a happy alternative reality. So, I have to ask... Is there a Superman on your Earth? Any other group of Super-heroes? No Superman or other super-heroes on mine, but young folk being kidnapped and forced to work as sex workers... lots of that.

I find your post... strange.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 03:17 PM   #325
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

yes TOS was preachy, but it also had a lot of levity, action. It felt like they were a working crew not a soapbox
Old March 20 2014, 03:29 PM   #326
Warped9
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
yes TOS was preachy, but it also had a lot of levity, action. It felt like they were a working crew not a soapbox
People get different take-always from shows and films. I found "Lolani" to be very much like TOS in some episodes in tone and approach. I didn't find it all slow. And, yes, there was levity in the episode, but it was in the right place. This story was also more straightforward like TOS' first and third season episodes. It didn't have the looser and sometimes jokier sensibility of second season. I liked that, but some might not.

As I understand it Episode 3 will supposedly have more humour and action. It seems STC's intent is to do a variety of stories...just like TOS did.
Old March 20 2014, 04:46 PM   #327
feek61
Captain

Principle photography for STC 3 ended on Tuesday. I think this forth-coming episode will be our best yet. As far as "Lolani" goes; some folks like it; some dont so it IS like TOS, lol.

Take care
Old March 20 2014, 05:23 PM   #328
mybandy
Cadet

Thanks for the add. I am old enough to have watched Trek since '66 and every version thereafter. In my opinion, STC is simply the BEST Trek since TOS ended. I know some of those involved with the production are here, and I just want to say, incredible job! Stumbled upon PoE last year and so glad I did, cause this guy is hooked! As so many have said, it's not just the attention to detail and production values, it's that "feel" of TOS. I watched "Lolani"" with my wife (4th time) who is a more casual trek fan. She's watched since '66 as well. When it was done, she asked two things: "OMG, how did they DO that?" and "That was just amazing! " Sums it up for me!

I will add briefly to the discussion of the Mckenna role. First, I can't believe no one has ever mentioned that Jane Seymour's lead character in the great "Somewhere in Time" was named "Elise McKenna." Are Vic & Michelle SIT fans?

I really enjoyed the new character in both episodes and Michelle is terrific. I just agree that this new character did have way too much screen time so early in the series at the expense of Spock McCoy and Scotty, esp. since it was the last chance to see Larry as Bones. IMHO, since STC isn't a weekly show, with lots of episodes to concentrate on different characters, I would have liked to see more of these great new actors flesh out their interpretations, before having a brand new character so dominate a brand new series. Just a thought to consider, yes?
mybandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 11:00 PM   #329
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

See, I don't take the story at face value as to what it's "about". Yes, they're talking about slavery, but the metaphor is about people being disenfranchised because of their sex, which applies to groups like the Taliban as much as to slave trade.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2014, 12:35 AM   #330
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

feek61 wrote: View Post
Principle photography for STC 3 ended on Tuesday. I think this forth-coming episode will be our best yet. As far as "Lolani" goes; some folks like it; some dont so it IS like TOS, lol.

Take care
I didn't mean disrespect at all. Just stating my thoughts