Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 2 2014, 05:20 PM   #301
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

Maurice wrote: View Post
There's no denying there are regional accents and dialects and even sayings, but to nitpick the examples I gave re Mad Men is missing the forest for the trees, as the point is still valid that it's easy to get the vernacular wrong since it's constantly evolving.

Heck, I've asked people from other countries and a regions to go over dialogue I've written for contemporary characters just to make sure I'm not betraying said characters by making them speak incorrectly.

Back to the topic, though, all TOS fanfilms fall into this trap.
A difficult thing to defend against. And in fairness it's something I just try to overlook because what else can you do?
Old March 2 2014, 10:01 PM   #302
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The writer and producers do their best to avoid obvious screw-ups. That's all one can do, really. I'm writing a script set in 1982 and I've been watching movies and TV shows from that era and reading periodicals from the time to jumpstart my memory of the slang and idioms of the era.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 07:09 PM   #303
Warped9
Admiral

Neat little podcast to listen to for some behind-the-scenes insight into making STC and "Lolani." http://trek.fm/the-ready-room/the-re...illy-yoda.html It can be fun, too.

The STC material starts about 25:30 into the podcast and then runs for about ninety minutes.

Toward the end they do let slip some hints of what's planned for Episode 3. Apparently there will be at least a bit more humnour as well as more action than what's been seen so far. The biggest hint, though, is they've taken an idea begun in TOS but never explored in TOS or in any of the other Trek productions.

Last edited by Warped9; March 5 2014 at 07:28 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:17 PM   #304
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Neat little podcast to listen to for some behind-the-scenes insight into making STC and "Lolani." http://trek.fm/the-ready-room/the-re...illy-yoda.html It can be fun, too.

The STC material starts about 25:30 into the podcast and then runs for about ninety minutes.
Looking forward to listening. Thanks for sharing.

Toward the end they do let slip some hints of what's planned for Episode 3. Apparently there will be at least a bit more humnour as well as more action than what's been seen so far. The biggest hint, though, is they've taken an idea begun in TOS but never explored in TOS or in any of the other Trek productions.
Whaddya wanna bet it's remote brain transplantation?
Old March 5 2014, 08:30 PM   #305
Warped9
Admiral

The crowd in the podcast joke around and start throwing around "bombs" like the Gorgon and Tribbles and other silly things.
Old March 5 2014, 08:45 PM   #306
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Well tribbles have been revisited in TAS, Star Trek III, DS9, and Into Darkness, so the joke is somewhat questionable there. Too, David "One Hit Wonder" Gerrold is allegedly working on --wait for it-- a tribbles episode for Phase II.

Maybe Continues third episode will involve the Yonada?
Old March 5 2014, 09:16 PM   #307
Warped9
Admiral

There's a lot of room for interpretation. "An idea" doesn't necessarily mean revisiting something we've seen before. And candidly I hope that's what it is. "Lolani" took "an idea" from TOS and fleshed it out a bit and in a way that didn't feel mired in the past.

What "Lolani" did felt much fresher than "Pilgrim Of Eternity." I hope they continue that approach rather than just revisiting previous characters and stories.
Old March 5 2014, 09:28 PM   #308
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Oh I tend to agree.
Old March 6 2014, 04:14 PM   #309
Bixby
Commander

Neat little podcast to listen to for some behind-the-scenes insight into making STC and "Lolani." http://trek.fm/the-ready-room/the-re...illy-yoda.html
Holy mackerel do they go over the top on that podcast...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 08:31 PM   #310
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

For those interested, Vic Mignogna is part of a round table wrap up over at Mission Log: A Roddenberry Podcast covering the podcast series' completion of the original series.

The episode, "Supplemental 013: The One With Almost Everyone" is now available to stream or download here.
Old March 6 2014, 09:21 PM   #311
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Bixby wrote: View Post
Neat little podcast to listen to for some behind-the-scenes insight into making STC and "Lolani." http://trek.fm/the-ready-room/the-re...illy-yoda.html
In what way? I've been listening to it on and off all day and it seems like they are just really passionate about the subject matter. That's hardly any reason to declare they were "going over the top."

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 6 2014 at 11:24 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 10:14 PM   #312
E-DUB
Captain

The ideal instance of '60's minority casting was Greg Morris on "Mission Impossible". He wasn't the black gadget guy, he was just the gadget guy. But when an episode came up where racial matters were to be addressed he was already there as an audience-accepted cast member.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 12:51 AM   #313
Bixby
Commander

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
In what way? I've been listening to it on and off all day and it seems like they are just really passionate about the subject matter. That's hardly any reason to declare they were "going over the top."
A little bit of hype should always be expected during these kinds of interviews(this IS show business, after all). But, MAN! these guys made Stan Lee look like a wallflower in comparison...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:02 AM   #314
Warped9
Admiral

If you're a TOS fan then here's a neat podcast. The podcast is called The Final TOS Wrap-up With Almost Everyone. It has Michael & Denise Okuda and later Vic Mignogna talking about TOS and some Trek in general: http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/supplemental

Last edited by Warped9; March 7 2014 at 02:55 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2014, 02:48 AM   #315
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

A little bit of hype should always be expected during these kinds of interviews(this IS show business, after all). But, MAN! these guys made Stan Lee look like a wallflower in comparison...
We'll have to agree to disagree. All I heard were a couple of guys really enthusiastic about the project they're working on, sharing their insights to how and why they did what they did. And not to nitpick, but I don't know that I'd call a fan film "show business" in the strictest sense (at least in the sense you're trying to use.)

Your mileage may vary of course, but that's how I interpreted it.