Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old February 26 2014, 11:17 PM   #316
geneo
Lieutenant

Re: Homosexual Rights in the Star Trek Universe

DonIago wrote: View Post
How many younger viewers have you asked?
Plenty in my community my dear friend. Plenty here and in Rockwall TX where my grandson lives, sort of like Cheers - where everyone knows your name. Based on my findings one can gather that there are lots more than you think.
Old February 26 2014, 11:26 PM   #317
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

geneo wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
How many younger viewers have you asked?
Plenty in my community my dear friend. Plenty here and in Rockwall TX where my grandson lives, sort of like Cheers - where everyone knows your name. Based on my findings one can gather that there are lots more than you think.
Well, yea, but, we already know small towns in West Virginia and Texas are Anti-Gay, but, that's a very tiny part of the 300 Million+ population in the US and the 6 Billion+ population of the world.

Obviously you don't know every SciFi fan in West Virginia, because, through the internet, I know two straight West Virginian Trek Fans, who would definitely welcome the diversity of a Gay character in a new Trek

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old February 26 2014, 11:39 PM   #318
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Only if the younger viewers are gay themselves. I don't know any younger viewers who are straight who wants a diverse cast, one that includes a gay character.
Considering that roughly three quarters of America's youth poll solidly in favour of same-sex marriage, I find your speculations about "younger viewers" straight or otherwise a bit suspect.

In general, it's pretty depressing that purported fans of a show set in the 23rd century should evince that much trouble catching up to the 21st. It is certainly not generally true of Phase II fans in my experience that they display the kind of petty, narrow mindset that would tune into or out of a show based on whether any of its characters are gay. That may have been a truism in the Sixties, it isn't so today.
Old February 27 2014, 12:45 AM   #319
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Anecdotal evidence of complaining fans is no evidence at all. If "Blood and Fire" turned off some viewers it was probably because it was bad, overlong, and the relationship between the romantic leads was poorly played. Their initial "love" scene was longer than any single love scene in Trek history, and would have been just as lame with a straight couple.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 27 2014, 01:03 AM   #320
geneo
Lieutenant

Maurice wrote: View Post
Anecdotal evidence of complaining fans is no evidence at all. If "Blood and Fire" turned off some viewers it was probably because it was bad, overlong, and the relationship between the romantic leads was poorly played. Their initial "love" scene was longer than any single love scene in Trek history, and would have been just as lame with a straight couple.
Straight or not, it didn't need to even be in there. But I admit I did not even watch it because I don't support that.
Old February 27 2014, 01:08 AM   #321
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Straight or not, it didn't need to even be in there. But I admit I did not even watch it because I don't support that.
Be specific. What don't you support?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old February 27 2014, 01:09 AM   #322
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Hazel wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
Alright, your turn
Just to be glib for a moment, that's a bit like asking how you explain the absence of bees.
While bees are spoken of, they're never seen, however we do see lot's of people, and we hear of their relationships, marriages, attractions, and sex hook ups.

But not if they're gay.

So if we're still there, literally right there on the bridge and are not being ostracized (and haven't been edited from the genome) and we feel no need to conceal our sexual orientation, because God knows no one else on the ship does, then the reason ...

Old February 27 2014, 01:20 AM   #323
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

Alright, your turn
Just to be glib for a moment, that's a bit like asking how you explain the absence of bees.
While bees are spoken of, they're never seen, however we do see lot's of people, and we hear of their relationships, marriages, attractions, and sex hook ups.

But not if they're gay.

So if we're still there, literally right there on the bridge and are not being ostracized (and haven't been edited from the genome) and we feel no need to conceal our sexual orientation, because God knows no one else on the ship does, then the reason ...

I can think of quite a few characters (minor ones, admittedly, and some of them very minor) who were never presented in romantic situations. Therefore, by my optimistic logic, every one of them was gay. List includes Hawk from FC, Icheb (one tiny crush on B'Elanna is not absolute evidence) random male and female Bajorans on DS9, that dude who sold Tribbles in TOS, and of course, Garak who was bi.

Sorry, I just can't get behind a ST where anything other than heterosexuality is repressed/oppressed. It's too depressing, not to mention unrealistic. After all, no-one made a fuss about Dax and her ex-wife except for the rigid Trill members; that must count a bit*

*I'm aware you can take it as as a metaphor for homophobia, but it's so much more pleasant to not do that

Let's forget bees then - we didn't see a representative of every country/race/nationality found on Earth, did we? Yet that doesn't mean Brazilians don't exist in the 24th century.

Last edited by Hazel; February 27 2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old February 27 2014, 02:18 AM   #324
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Ok, so you're a "no" to the idea of rights for homosexuals in the Star Trek universe, got it.

To everyone else - this is NOT a thread about geneo, so let's stay on topic. Thanks!
Old February 27 2014, 03:34 AM   #325
PhoenixClass
Lieutenant Commander

Alright, your turn

But not if they're gay.

... is that it's a flaw in a fictional universe that should be ignored.
Old February 27 2014, 04:27 AM   #326
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

^
That's not going to be easy.

Already, the previous attempts to address the concept are considered weak. "The Outcast" is seen as a 'noble failure' from T-Girl's (and other fans) point of view.

And let's face it, analyzing, criticizing and discussing the Trek universe is at an all time high (and often fun) now that we have social media and forums.

Heterosexuality is shown as being the default sexual behavior among 24th century humans.

Even the Outcast might have messed up a little bit--when Soren asked Riker about sexuality among humans, it went like this:

SOREN:And is that the kind of woman all human males prefer?
RIKER: Not at all. Some men like quiet, demure women... others prefer alot of energy... some respond only to physical attractiveness... others couldn't care less. There aren't any rules.
Riker could have mentioned something about same sex preferences at this point, but didn't.

The episode was supposed to be a analogy/message about homophobia.

At the same time, the Federation ostrasizing homosexuals? It still seems extreme.
Old February 27 2014, 04:56 PM   #327
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

PhoenixClass wrote: View Post
Okay, what else can we conveniently ignore? Because it goes against the utopian vision.

If the utopia won't stand up to scrutiny , perhaps it isn't one.

I can think of quite a few characters (minor ones, admittedly, and some of them very minor) who were never presented in romantic situations.
A few of the reoccurring mid level characters were also not seen in romantic scenes, people like Sulu.

Therefore, by my optimistic logic, every one of them was gay.
Do you think that's why their sexual orientation was never presented on screen?

Sorry, I just can't get behind a ST where anything other than heterosexuality is repressed/oppressed. It's too depressing, not to mention unrealistic.
I have stated that other possibilities might exist, it's just that in-universe I really can't find one that fits. And "no gay" might just be a Human thing. We've seen few enough Vulcans with their orientations on display that credible we could say that we just haven't seen our first obviously gay Vulcan.

... we didn't see a representative of every country/race/nationality found on Earth, did we?
Gays exist in every country, racial group, and nationality. So it isn't a matter of Star Trek not depicting the one Human subdivision that has all the gays in it.

Yet that doesn't mean Brazilians don't exist in the 24th century.
Maybe by the 24th century people will come to accept that we don't spell "Brazilians" with a Z.
Old February 27 2014, 05:14 PM   #328
Hazel
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, what else can we conveniently ignore? Because it goes against the utopian vision.

I can think of quite a few characters (minor ones, admittedly, and some of them very minor) who were never presented in romantic situations.
A few of the reoccurring mid level characters were also not seen in romantic scenes, people like Sulu.

Do you think that's why their sexual orientation was never presented on screen?

I have stated that other possibilities might exist, it's just that in-universe I really can't find one that fits. And "no gay" might just be a Human thing. We've seen few enough Vulcans with their orientations on display that credible we could say that we just haven't seen our first obviously gay Vulcan.

... we didn't see a representative of every country/race/nationality found on Earth, did we?
Gays exist in every country, racial group, and nationality. So it isn't a matter of Star Trek not depicting the one Human subdivision that has all the gays in it.

Maybe by the 24th century people will come to accept that we don't spell "Brazilians" with a Z.
I understand what you're getting at T'Girl, I just see it at as metatextual issue, not intra-textual. It's troubling that there was very little queer representation in Star Trek, but it's troubling because of what it says about the people/culture that made Star Trek, not the fictional world within it (IMO, obvs).

People really like to nitpick analogies, don't they? Bees and Brasilians (with an S, then) were analogies: they weren't meant to be replicate the issue perfectly!

Here, have another analogy: I don't complain that I've never seen someone plucking their eyebrows or sitting on a toilet in Star Trek, but I'm going to choose to believe that humans still do those things.
Old February 27 2014, 07:12 PM   #329
PhoenixClass
Lieutenant Commander

Of course it doesn't stand up to scrutiny - it's a fictional world. Fictional worlds, even those created by a single author, often have varying degrees of contradiction and error. Star Trek has an extra handicap because it is created over decades by many different creators (i.e. everyone involved in making the shows).

Star Trek consists of two main components: what is shown on screen and the audience member's imagination. What is important, then, is how each audience member uses his or her imagination to resolve differences and fill in the gaps in the canon. You are using your imagination, it seems, to come to a rather depressing conclusion and I'm trying to understand why. I suppose it could be that you just read canon very literally and narrowly when combining it with the component of your imagination.

Oh, and the Oxford American Dictionary would disagree with you when it comes to spelling "Brazilian."
Old February 28 2014, 07:08 AM   #330
Maurice
Vice Admiral

"Brazilians" don't exist in the 24th century because hive collapse wiped out all the bees. No bees, no wax. No wax, no "Brazilians".

—Glen Larson, 2010
Closed Thread