MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 8 2014, 03:29 PM   #31
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Paris as Locarno

Trademark law has nothing directly to do with the topic of this thread, though, unless we're trying to draw some sort of analogy (which is irrelevant in figuring out who gets paid what, anyway).

WGA screenwriting credit rules are what's actually relevant.
Old February 8 2014, 08:53 PM   #32
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Timewalker wrote: View Post
hux wrote: View Post
Paris had a bit of a goofy, boyish quality that Locarno probably didn't (but Locarno may have developed that as the series went on if he'd been on board)
That's why Locarno wouldn't have worked. A good character is a well-rounded, dynamic character. Tom Paris was a more-than-competent pilot, he made a good medic (even before receiving extra training from the Doctor), he had a conscience, he had a strong sense of duty and loyalty, and he knew how to have fun.

I can't imagine Locarno goofing around with Harry in the Captain Proton program. I can't even imagine Locarno and Harry even being friends. I certainly can't imagine Locarno as someone B'Elanna would be friends with, never mind eventually marrying.
Tom didn't have a sense of duty and loyalty in Caretaker, he developed it as the show went on.

And honestly I felt like, while his boyish quality turned into one of his better character traits, it contradicted his established qualities at the beginning. And I think they went a little far in that direction making him a little too obsessed with silly things.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 09:21 PM   #33
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
hux wrote: View Post
Paris had a bit of a goofy, boyish quality that Locarno probably didn't (but Locarno may have developed that as the series went on if he'd been on board)
That's why Locarno wouldn't have worked. A good character is a well-rounded, dynamic character. Tom Paris was a more-than-competent pilot, he made a good medic (even before receiving extra training from the Doctor), he had a conscience, he had a strong sense of duty and loyalty, and he knew how to have fun.

I can't imagine Locarno goofing around with Harry in the Captain Proton program. I can't even imagine Locarno and Harry even being friends. I certainly can't imagine Locarno as someone B'Elanna would be friends with, never mind eventually marrying.
Tom didn't have a sense of duty and loyalty in Caretaker, he developed it as the show went on.

And honestly I felt like, while his boyish quality turned into one of his better character traits, it contradicted his established qualities at the beginning. And I think they went a little far in that direction making him a little too obsessed with silly things.
What silly things? My dad was into old cars, goofy TV shows, and pizza. If the holodeck had been invented by now, my dad would have happily made his own garage and other holodeck programs. They would have been based on Louis L'Amour novels, though, instead of old B&W cliffhanger serials.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 09:24 PM   #34
billcosby
Commodore

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
I wonder if in McNeill's personal canon he considers Tom Paris to be Locarno.
At all these conventions and over all these years... someone must have asked him this question once.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 09:43 PM   #35
hux
Lieutenant Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Exactly....Paris started as the troubled bad boy who shouldn't be trusted etc (he was basically Locarno)...a few episodes in however and we start to see the goofy side (like when you go on a date and pretend to be all mature and sophisticated then three months later you relax and stop all that crap)

So i don't see why it would be a problem for Locarno to have developed in exactly the same way

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 09:51 PM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Locarno openly encouraged everyone else in Nova Squadron to lie and cover up the truth. He never showed any remorse for what happened. Paris falsified reports at first, but eventually admitted what he'd done. Locarno would never have done that.
Pity we never actually got a chance to see if he would have, I don't know, developed into someone who might have.
But the problem with Locarno is that his case got to trial, so to speak. We didn't get the chance to see if he'd have come clean on his own, because Starfleet basically made him do it when they convened the hearing.

Paris lied on the initial reports and then (without anyone prompting him to) admitted what he'd done. Locarno never got that far, and I still get the feeling he never would have.
Old February 8 2014, 11:39 PM   #37
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

My "Why didn't they just keep their characters" thread covers a few of the topics covered in this thread (along with other characters that could have continued on) but on the topic of Paris and Locarno, they're two unique characters with similar back stories. Locarno was a much darker character.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 11:41 PM   #38
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Another theory I just made up: Perhaps the VOY writers just thought the name 'Tom Paris' sounded better than 'Nicholas Locarno'?
Old February 8 2014, 11:42 PM   #39
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Ro_Laren wrote: View Post
I wonder if in McNeill's personal canon he considers Tom Paris to be Locarno.
At all these conventions and over all these years... someone must have asked him this question once.
His response would probably be something like "my personal... cannon?"
Old February 8 2014, 11:43 PM   #40
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Another theory I just made up: Perhaps the VOY writers just thought the name 'Tom Paris' sounded better than 'Nicholas Locarno'?
Other than the "royalties" reason, that's the most sensible suggestion yet.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 09:05 AM   #41
milojthatch
Lieutenant

I like Tom Paris.

Nicholas Locarno, on the other hand, was a smarmy, creepy liar.
Exactly.

Locarno tried to cover everything up from the get-go. Paris eventually came clean and admitted what he'd done.

Paris had a conscience; Locarno didn't.
Agreed. Locarno only cared about himself, Tom Paris cared about others. I could not see Nick helping poor Harry Kim from being coned by Quark on DS9 the way Tom did. Tom was a good guy ultimately, Nick wasn't, end of story.

-Kira Nerys
milojthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 09:08 AM   #42
Tosk
Rear Admiral

milojthatch wrote: View Post
Agreed. Locarno only cared about himself, Tom Paris cared about others.
I disagree.

PICARD: Mister Locarno has been expelled.

WESLEY: They should've expelled all of us.

PICARD: They very nearly did. Mister Locarno made an impassioned plea for the rest of you. He said that he'd used his influence as squadron leader to convince you to attempt the Kolvoord manoeuvre and then to cover up the truth. He asked to take full responsibility.

WESLEY: He did exactly what he said he would. He protected the team.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 10:12 AM   #43
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^Locarno may have protected the team in the end but he still got someone killed trying to show off. I don't expect Starfleet to forget that any time soon, nor do I expect them to trust Locarno a second time after they resubmitted him back into the Academy and promoted him to lieutenant so he could quit to join the Maquis.

Last edited by bbjeg; February 9 2014 at 10:27 AM.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 11:15 AM   #44
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I was speaking only of the assertion that Nick Locarno did not care about anyone but himself.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 02:23 PM   #45
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

In the hands of any competent writer, Nick Locarno is just as redeemable as Tom Paris. The "Nick was irredeemable" line is just what they say so they don't have to admit it was about royalties.

And in regard to those royalties, how much could we really be talking about here? I can't imagine it could've been more than a few hundred dollars per episode.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote