A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 19 2014, 07:24 PM   #46
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: "The Man Trap" if you had seen it's debut in the 60's

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
"The Wrath of Lenore". Come on, it practically writes it's self!
You'll need to change your sig.

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan, the one with the psycho Shakespeare chick.
You think I'm joking, but just you wait . . . .
Old February 20 2014, 04:26 AM   #47
HIjol
Captain

I was 9 at the time, and we sat as a family to watch Star Trek...pretty cool, if you think about it now...my friends and l lived and breathed it, and even "played" Star Trek..it was wonderous...there was a significant contingent of our schoolmates who had fun teasing us, but we did not care...we did NOT tell them, however, that my friend's basement shower was our transporter...

...Star Trek as discipline...in my day, the belt came off or the hand slapped face with fair regularity, and I was a kid that got a lot of belt, but never seemed to be able to stop with the bad behavior, until...they finally figured it out...when Star Trek was on, I was invited to my bedroom to spend the entire length of the episode in contemplation of my badness...

...two episodes of THAT, and I was cured...I always wanted to tell The Great Bird that, if I ever met him...wonder what he would have said...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 08:30 PM   #48
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

It was certainly a effective costume. I wonder if this photo was used as promotion for the new series, highlighting the monster in the first broadcast episode? It just seems a safer choice for this time period to appeal to that cultural interest, especially if there were still studio execs worried about getting more "cerebral" plots from Roddenberry.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...7-800-1050.jpg

JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 09:12 PM   #49
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I was watching Star Trek during its first year when I was 15, but "The Man Trap" was not the first episode I saw. I had caught a few minutes of different episodes during commercial breaks of other shows, but don't think I was regularly watching the show until about November 1966. The biggest marvel for me was the ship. I wasn't that crazy about the design initially, because it looked so strange compared to other sci-fi ships until then. But I didn't know anything about blue screen optical effects at the time, and couldn't figure out how they did the space scenes, which were obviously not done with a wire rig like on Irwin Allen's shows.

I had been a big fan of The Outer Limits with its weird monsters and aliens only 2-3 years earlier, and my first impression of Spock was he was the fakiest looking alien I'd ever seen.
Old February 27 2014, 06:55 PM   #50
Vandervecken
Commander

Noteworthy in The Man Trap: as far as I know, the one and only time McCoy kills anyone or anything
Old February 27 2014, 07:17 PM   #51
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
Noteworthy in The Man Trap: as far as I know, the one and only time McCoy kills anyone or anything
He killed a Mugato in A Private Little War. He also kills a pancake alien in his test chamber during Operation -- Annihilate!
Old February 27 2014, 07:32 PM   #52
Christopher
Writer

And in TUC, he helps modify a torpedo that blows up an entire Klingon starship -- although it made no sense whatsoever for Spock to ask McCoy to do that rather than a qualified weapons technician.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 07:43 PM   #53
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Maybe Spock was worried he'd have to do the "Remember" thing again while modifying the torpedo.