RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,220
Posts: 5,405,290
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 531
Newest member: jeb1138

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 23 2014, 06:06 AM   #1
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Great scenes with no regulars....

Just watched Who Mourns for Adonais? and was once again reminded how I enjoy episodes where the guests interact with each other without the regulars involved.

3 key scenes in "Mourns" between Apollo and Palamas without which the episode doesn't work.

Also WNMHGB, with it's scenes between Dehner and Mitchell, I really love.

Of course to have such scenes you have to have at least two major guest stars which is fairly rare.

I can think of just a couple more----Zephram and Hedford/Companion, Rom commander & Centurion.

Anybody have any other scenes they like of this type?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 06:27 AM   #2
CrazyMatt
Commander
 
CrazyMatt's Avatar
 
Location: Paradise
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

The fight between Decker and the security guard (Ens. Montgomery) before decker steals the shuttlecraft and meets his fate, giving Kirk the idea on how to defeat the Planet Killer.


Seems Kirk wasn't the only starship captain who knew how to fight.
__________________
"You are speaking to a senior officer, Kirk!"
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 06:31 AM   #3
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
The fight between Decker and the security guard (Ens. Montgomery) before decker steals the shuttlecraft and meets his fate, giving Kirk the idea on how to defeat the Planet Killer.


Seems Kirk wasn't the only starship captain who knew how to fight.
Right, I was only thinking of dialogue scenes, but thanks for reminding me of an action scene of this type.
I have always admired that scene.

I have been running the episodes thru my head and there really are not all that many. I could say Khan & McGivers, but I don't like those scenes despite their importance to the episode.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 10:15 AM   #4
Captain Rob
Commodore
 
Captain Rob's Avatar
 
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Dr. Helen Noel (our favorite female gueststar) and her fight scene in the powerplant with the security guard. He thinks he's got her and she kicks him into the power bus. Turning him into one crispy critter.
__________________
Regal Entertainment Group murdered United Artists
Captain Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 01:46 PM   #5
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

If it counts (they weren't series regulars when it aired on TV), Pike and Boyce in "The Menagerie".
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
If it counts (they weren't series regulars when it aired on TV), Pike and Boyce in "The Menagerie".
Yes, great scene, but as far as I am concerned those were scenes written for regulars--even if the pilot didn't get picked up.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 05:08 PM   #7
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Need I mention Gary Seven, Roberta, and Isis? Although, of course, that was a special case.

Beyond that, Amanda and Sarek have a nice scene together in "Journey to Babel." "You showed pride in your son," etc.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
Dr. Helen Noel (our favorite female gueststar) and her fight scene in the powerplant with the security guard. He thinks he's got her and she kicks him into the power bus. Turning him into one crispy critter.
Apparently Spock never apprenticed as an electrician, as he switches the main breaker for the base back on without knowing why it had been turned off in the first place, which indirectly ends up killing Dr. Adams.
__________________
Let's make sure history never forgets...
the name...
Enterprise
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 07:46 PM   #9
Green Shirt
Commodore
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: 21133
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Push The Button wrote: View Post
Apparently Spock never apprenticed as an electrician, as he switches the main breaker for the base back on without knowing why it had been turned off in the first place, which indirectly ends up killing Dr. Adams.
When in doubt, throw the switch. Its logical.
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 08:29 PM   #10
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
Push The Button wrote: View Post
Apparently Spock never apprenticed as an electrician, as he switches the main breaker for the base back on without knowing why it had been turned off in the first place, which indirectly ends up killing Dr. Adams.
When in doubt, throw the switch. Its logical.
Anytime Spock makes a boneheaded move, it can be easily explained as the inconvenient influence of his human half.
__________________
Moe: I'll take the blonde!
Larry: I'll take the brunette!
Curly: I'll take the Black and Tan!
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 11:16 PM   #11
Myko
Commander
 
Myko's Avatar
 
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Or not having his brain hooked up properly after Spock's Brain, should the boneheadedness take place in season 3.
__________________
Myko
Myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 11:55 PM   #12
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
Dr. Helen Noel (our favorite female gueststar) and her fight scene in the powerplant with the security guard. He thinks he's got her and she kicks him into the power bus. Turning him into one crispy critter.
I initially read this as 'kicked him "in" the power bus.' Ouch.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 01:40 AM   #13
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Miranda Jones has a good scene with Larry Marvick in "Is There in Truth No Beauty." Diana Muldaur and David Frankham.

I also like the scene with Flint and Rayna in "Requiem for Methuselah." James Daly and Louise Sorel. I love Louise Sorel in this episode. She probably inspired my love of fembots in general, along with Jean Marsh on The Twilight Zone.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 05:34 AM   #14
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

I have two: the teasers for The Devil In The Dark and Tomorrow Is Yesterday.
__________________
Let's make sure history never forgets...
the name...
Enterprise
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 05:45 AM   #15
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Great scenes with no regulars....

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Need I mention Gary Seven, Roberta, and Isis? Although, of course, that was a special case.

Beyond that, Amanda and Sarek have a nice scene together in "Journey to Babel." "You showed pride in your son," etc.
Example #1 Yep, the fact that it was basically a pilot itself is the reason I didn't list those scenes with Seven and Roberta.

Example #2 Good call. It briefly crossed my mind but now that you mention it--it certainly qualifies.

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Miranda Jones has a good scene with Larry Marvick in "Is There in Truth No Beauty." Diana Muldaur and David Frankham.

I also like the scene with Flint and Rayna in "Requiem for Methuselah." James Daly and Louise Sorel. I love Louise Sorel in this episode. She probably inspired my love of fembots in general, along with Jean Marsh on The Twilight Zone.
Two more good ones--I agree and from the script I read--"Requiem..." has more cut than nearly any other episodes---maybe 60 lines of dialogue---so maybe there was more of Flint/Rayna as well---I forget.

Push The Button wrote: View Post
I have two: the teasers for The Devil In The Dark and Tomorrow Is Yesterday.
I agree with moody atmosphere in "Devil...", but the two guys in "Tomorrow..." do nothing for me as far as great or memorable.

There was a scene in "Taste of Armageddon between Sar and Anon, in Anon's quarters that was cut too. So maybe there were some other scenes from non-regulars that got cut that we never saw.

A lot of non regular's lines were cut from the movies.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.