TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old February 6 2014, 10:55 PM   #16
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: TOS sets project

Probably flagged by the content-ID system.
Old February 8 2014, 11:24 AM   #17
wtriker1701
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, Copyright issues should be taken very seriously - regarding whatever material you post online, if it's not solely made by yourself. That includes pictures, music, videos - all kinds of multi-media outings.
Old February 8 2014, 05:45 PM   #18
treknician1701
Lieutenant Commander

Well, that pretty much covers EVERYTHING! Just about every video that I scanned on Youtube since that time had copyright material, images, music, talking, etc. And I cannot believe that Youtube had to tag every one of those vids, and send out warnings to the posters. It just boggles the mind.

Also, I just wanted to say that I have removed those videos from Youtube, I have sent a PM to Donny and thanked him for the great work, and advised him of same, and I will NOT be posting any work other than my own, which I presume will also get a lot of complaints from people who want to harass me off of this site, just because I don't give Gene Roddenberry, or someone like that, proper credit for everything I attempt to do!
Not like anyone on the art thread has given credit to the original artists who created the sets, or props, or costumes, or anything like that. Why am I singled out?

Makes ya wonder, huh?

Greg

Last edited by treknician1701; February 8 2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old February 8 2014, 05:56 PM   #19
treknician1701
Lieutenant Commander

And, I think that it's really strange when someone will take another person's photo, and put their own "copyright" on it. Like taking a picture while you are on vacation, in Paris, for example, and you take a photo of the Eiffel tower, and then put YOUR copyright on it, like YOU built the blasted thing!

A ton of Disney people are always taking photos at DL or WDW, and then put their own copyright, or watermark over it, as if it's their own personal property! I'm sure that if they decided to try and start selling these pictures, printed up and framed, Disney attorneys would jump all over that situation, to be sure.

It's the same with ANYTHING Star Trek! It belongs to Paramount, and whichever Chinese corporation actually owns it today! You cannot claim any right to venue that actually belongs to the studios. Plain and simple.

Greg Stone

Last edited by treknician1701; February 8 2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old February 8 2014, 06:31 PM   #20
sojourner
Admiral

There is a faq for the fan art forum. Might be worth checking out before future art threads.
Old February 8 2014, 06:44 PM   #21
Tosk
Rear Admiral

treknician1701 wrote: View Post
Makes ya wonder, huh?
Definitely.
Old February 8 2014, 07:00 PM   #22
Donny
Commander

Thank you to those who recognized my work was being used and modified without credit being given (or permission being asked, for that matter).

And yes, Treknician1701, I would make sure you ask permission to use artists' work in the future. I was a little alarmed that someone had used my images without my permission, and I may perhaps put safeguards in place to prevent that from happening in the future.

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Old February 8 2014, 07:24 PM   #23
treknician1701
Lieutenant Commander

Actually, if you wish to keep your work from being used or copied in any manner, don't put it up on the internet! I had no way of knowing who you were, or how to contact you, since there was no site address on the bottom of the photos, as I have seen on other work.
But some artists don't even want their work to be copied, at all! I took a photo of a matt painting that we were filming for an episode of STTNG, wherein "Wesley goes to Starfleet" to take his exam! The painting was done by Dan Curry, and was used in an older episode of "Buck Rogers", and Dan just added a little Starfleet insignia on a building, and now it was "Star Trek". I thought that the painting was really great, so I took a photo of it, had it printed up to 23 X 40, matted, and framed and hung in my living room! I got a call from Dan Curry, yelling at me as to WHY would I think of doing such a thing?
I told him that I thought the painting was fantastic, and I wanted a crappy photo copy of it hanging in my apartment! He was so furious, yelling and screaming at me, as if I had stolen his wife, or something like that. I could not understand where he was coming from. People take photos of artwork in museums all the time. The "Mona Lisa" is the most photographed of all, and I would think that the artists would feel that is the biggest compliment.

But not Dan Curry!

Still, Donny, I am MOST sorry for "stealing" your work and modifying it, and it will NOT happen again, to be sure.

Sincerely, Greg Stone
Old February 8 2014, 08:21 PM   #24
wtriker1701
Lieutenant Commander

Why am I singled out?

Makes ya wonder, huh?

Greg
There's seemingly so much naivete swinging in your post(s) that makes others wonder, huh? Me, for sure!
Are you really thinking you are "singled out"? You can't possibly think, that's true. Really!

And we all don't know, how Da Vinci would have reacted, had he still been alive... other than taking it as a compliment, of course...
Old February 8 2014, 08:38 PM   #25
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Actually, if you wish to keep your work from being used or copied in any manner, don't put it up on the internet! I had no way of knowing who you were, or how to contact you, since there was no site address on the bottom of the photos, as I have seen on other work.
But some artists don't even want their work to be copied, at all! I took a photo of a matt painting that we were filming for an episode of STTNG, wherein "Wesley goes to Starfleet" to take his exam! The painting was done by Dan Curry, and was used in an older episode of "Buck Rogers", and Dan just added a little Starfleet insignia on a building, and now it was "Star Trek". I thought that the painting was really great, so I took a photo of it, had it printed up to 23 X 40, matted, and framed and hung in my living room! I got a call from Dan Curry, yelling at me as to WHY would I think of doing such a thing?
I told him that I thought the painting was fantastic, and I wanted a crappy photo copy of it hanging in my apartment! He was so furious, yelling and screaming at me, as if I had stolen his wife, or something like that. I could not understand where he was coming from. People take photos of artwork in museums all the time. The "Mona Lisa" is the most photographed of all, and I would think that the artists would feel that is the biggest compliment.

But not Dan Curry!

Still, Donny, I am MOST sorry for "stealing" your work and modifying it, and it will NOT happen again, to be sure.

Sincerely, Greg Stone
So, this is not the first time you've encountered artists who feel attacked by not having their work attributed by name? I would have thought that after the first time it happened, you'd have developed some sense of common courtesy to make sure it never happened again.

As an artist who has had my work stolen and passed off as someone else's, I am especially sensitive to this situation.

Maybe you need to take extra steps from now on to ensure that you don't leave any room for doubt where your inspirations come from.

The "don't put it on the internet" argument will win you no friends.
Old February 8 2014, 09:19 PM   #26
treknician1701
Lieutenant Commander

That is NOT correct. Anyone who came to my apt, and saw the painting, I straight out told them that it was a "Dan Curry" painting, and told them how this photo came about. This is exactly why it got back to Mr. Curry, and allowed him to call my home! I have ALWAYS given credit on things like that.

Actually, I have had a lot of my work copied also, copies of the props that I have created for different productions, but it really hits home when someone takes credit for the work that I have done, or something along that nature. I have had people that I thought were good friends take credit for items that I have made, or work that I have done! And it's such an unbelievable avalanche of actual thief against me, that it is almost undefendable! But I keep trying.

By NOT putting anything where it can be scanned for or searched on Google or other situtions, if you want to keep it from being copied by others, or credit given to others for YOUR work, is the only way to go about protecting your art! By only placing it on ONE site, and not allowing anyone to right click and "save as" so you can protect your work, as much as possible.

There are a lot of people with art all over the internet that you cannot download, and if you are so worried about getting your art stolen, that is what you should do, or just NOT put it up anywhere. Share it with friends when they come over, and otherwise keep it to yourself.

BTW, I have very few friends here. Too many of the "Prop Cartel" are hanging about, running me down every chance they get.

FACT!

Greg
Old February 8 2014, 10:02 PM   #27
sojourner
Admiral

It's funny, threads involving prop making are almost nonexistent on TBBS. Even costume making threads are virtually never seen.
Old February 8 2014, 11:04 PM   #28
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

sojourner wrote: View Post
There is a faq for the fan art forum. Might be worth checking out before future art threads.
Yup. This bit in particular:

Q: I want to use part of someone else’s work in some of my own. How do I give them proper credit?
A: This is a case where cluttering up the image is not a matter of choice. PROPER CREDIT MUST APPEAR ON THE IMAGE for elements that you yourself did not create. If you like to render 3D fleet battles containing dozens of starship meshes by other authors then every single one of them must be credited. If you don't know who created the element you want to use then at least acknowledge that its creator is unknown so there’s no confusion that you might be claiming it as your own. The format is fairly typical: “Enterprise mesh by Dennis Bailey” or “Photomanipulation by Captain Robert April.” This also applies to image elements from sources such as the NASA website or sites with astronomical images.

One exception to on-image credit would be stock images, objects and characters purchased for use in images and art, such as 3D content to be used in programs like 3DS, Maya, Vue, Poser, etc. - most of these contain licenses that allow their uncredited use in other works, but one should read the EULAs carefully and abide by them; if the EULA requires credit to be given, or does not allow public use at all, that is the guideline to follow.
Just because Donny didn't design the TOS sets it doesn't mean all his hard work in recreating them digitally should be ignored.

Last edited by Savage Dragon; February 9 2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old February 9 2014, 12:07 AM   #29
treknician1701
Lieutenant Commander

However, consider what the ORIGINAL artists who designed the original artwork and the people who actually built the sets are thinking, seeing their designs recreated in a CGI environment, with NO credit given to them whatsoever!

It is a double edged sword!

AND, according to that "regulation", their names should appear in the body of each picture, if it be a photo of the set, or even a CGI recreation!

Greg
Old February 9 2014, 12:52 AM   #30
urbandefault
Captain

I don't know all the facts, and I'm certainly not one to pass judgment, but here are a couple of things:

1. This is not an attack.

2. From what you've posted here in several threads, it looks to me like you have a problem with boundaries. In other words, using/taking/visiting other people's stuff without permission beforehand. They say "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission," but simply asking for permission would have saved a lot of trouble.

3. When called out on these things, you seem to get defensive and take the "poor little ol' me" position. That's fine, if that's what works for you. But you wouldn't have to be defensive if you'd just asked permission first.

4. I personally don't care about past transgressions, if you're moving past them and doing things differently now.

5. I still want to hear about your experiences working on TNG. I assume many others here do as well.

So that's my take. No offense meant, and that's all I intend to say on the subject.