RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,160
Posts: 5,434,792
Members: 24,937
Currently online: 628
Newest member: bryanb2014

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 5 2014, 08:43 AM   #46
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

But that's silly. The universe was created as the result of a conference between Tepeu and Gucumatz, who decided to create light. Then other gods came into play, and they had lots and lots of meetings, thrashing around different ideas, and conducted quite a lot of failed experiments in attempts to get things right.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 08:49 AM   #47
Gov Karnstein
Admiral
 
Gov Karnstein's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Why God never got tenure

1. He had only one major publication.
2. It wasn't published in a refereed journal.
3. Some even doubt that he wrote it himself.
4. It may be true he created the world, but what has he done since then?
5. His cooperative efforts have been limited.
6. The scientific community has had a hard time reproducing his results.
7. He never applied to the Ethics Board for permission to use human subjects.
8. When one experiment went awry, he tried to cover it up by drowning the subjects.
9. When subjects didn't behave as expected, he deleted them from the sample.
10. He rarely came to class, just told students to read the book.
11. Some say he had his son teach the class.
12. He expelled his first two students.
13. Although there were only ten requirements, most students failed his tests.
14. His office hours were infrequent, and usually held on a mountain top.

http://www.yorku.ca/hjackman/Mis/god.html
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 08:50 AM   #48
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Attacking the theology isn't necessary, that's playing on their turf.
I disagree. Their knowledge of theology is sometimes worse then their knowledge of science. An average theologian or biblical historian could probably rip Ham apart. For instance, that quote from Jesus about marriage. That's marriage defined by JEWISH LAW. Last time I looked Christians weren't Jews.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 08:52 AM   #49
Gov Karnstein
Admiral
 
Gov Karnstein's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Yminale wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Attacking the theology isn't necessary, that's playing on their turf.
I disagree. Their knowledge of theology is sometimes worse then their knowledge of science. An average theologian or biblical historian could probably rip Ham apart. For instance, that quote from Jesus about marriage. That's marriage defined by JEWISH LAW. Last time I looked Christians weren't Jews.
Ah, I thought you meant theology in general not literalist theology.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 09:10 AM   #50
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Ah, I thought you meant theology in general not literalist theology.
Even their literalist theology is whacked. Ham believes there can't be any Sin with evolution which is just absolutely wrong. With evolution, you just have to accept the fact that Sin is part of the human condition. Anyone with a child will tell you that kids are well sinful. You simply can not raise a perfect child that grows up to be a perfect adult. I don't even know why early christian theologians came up with such a stupid idea in the first place.

As for grace, that's always been a personal discovery and a personal choice so why bring it up in public.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 09:16 AM   #51
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Yminale wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Attacking the theology isn't necessary, that's playing on their turf.
I disagree. Their knowledge of theology is sometimes worse then their knowledge of science. An average theologian or biblical historian could probably rip Ham apart. For instance, that quote from Jesus about marriage. That's marriage defined by JEWISH LAW. Last time I looked Christians weren't Jews.
Maybe so, but you're counting on the poorly taught people in the audience who are with Ken Ham, to suddenly realize he doesn't know what he's talking about. That's not going to happen. There are literalists out there who believe the Bible has been one unified book since the very beginning.
__________________
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 09:27 AM   #52
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Maybe so, but you're counting on the poorly taught people in the audience who are with Ken Ham, to suddenly realize he doesn't know what he's talking about. That's not going to happen. There are literalists out there who believe the Bible has been one unified book since the very beginning.
I personally don't see the difference showing that Ham doesn't know much about either science or theology. I think we should favor science because it's objective but if you add historical, textual and archaeological evidence, theology can in some cases be just as objective.

As for literalist, nothing is going to convince them so who cares.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 10:56 AM   #53
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

I think we can agree that those who think like Ken Ham see him as a lightpost; for support, rather than for illumination.
__________________
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:30 PM   #54
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Looking forward to watching it later. It was too late last night to tune in live.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:33 PM   #55
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

This was the best tweet during the debate. How can any Christian not believe in non-recorded history but still believe in God?

It's also amazing to me that so many people who have a Phd in various different scientific fields including microbiology are creationists. Did they do their thesis in young earth science? What University [apparently the university of Oklahoma did in one case] grant a doctoral degree to anyone who believes young earth science without destroying their reputation as a legitimate school?


Follow
Ham doesn't believe in non-recorded history because it can't be observed, which is weird coming from a religious guy. #creationdebate

Last edited by DarthTom; February 5 2014 at 02:46 PM.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:59 PM   #56
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

DarthTom wrote: View Post
This was the best tweet during the debate. How can any Christian not believe in non-recorded history but still believe in God?

It's also amazing to me that so many people who have a Phd in various different scientific fields including microbiology are creationists. Did they do their thesis in young earth science? What University [apparently the university of Oklahoma did in one case] grant a doctoral degree to anyone who believes young earth science without destroying their reputation as a legitimate school?

Ham doesn't believe in non-recorded history because it can't be observed, which is weird coming from a religious guy. #creationdebate

The Bible is the exception because it is the word of god and not of man. How does he know it is the word of God? Because the Bible tells him so.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:05 PM   #57
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
The Bible is the exception because it is the word of god and not of man. How does he know it is the word of God? Because the Bible tells him so.
Yea. The flaw of course is that the New Testament was written not by god but by the Apostles. And Mark et al. were very much men.

No doubt Christians would claim that the Apostles were inspired by God but that fails to explain how each of them got certain aspects of Jesus life differently. Was God's inspiration confused from one account to another?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:17 PM   #58
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
The Bible is the exception because it is the word of god and not of man. How does he know it is the word of God? Because the Bible tells him so.
Yea. The flaw of course is that the New Testament was written not by god but by the Apostles. And Mark et al. were very much men.

No doubt Christians would claim that the Apostles were inspired by God but that fails to explain how each of them got certain aspects of Jesus life differently. Was God's inspiration confused from one account to another?
It get's better, because for centuries the bible has only be copied by mortal monks by hand and later translated by men into hundreds of languages.

Even fundamentalists like Ham can't believe that the King James or similar editions are the literal word of god anymore. Unless every scribe who made a copy of a copy of a copy of a translation of a copy of a transplation of a copy was also inspired by god.
And if that is the case why go through all the trouble and don't inspire every living person ever directly by beaming the story into our heads?
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:35 PM   #59
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Even fundamentalists like Ham can't believe that the King James or similar editions are the literal word of god anymore. Unless every scribe who made a copy of a copy of a copy of a translation of a copy of a transplation of a copy was also inspired by god.
And if that is the case why go through all the trouble and don't inspire every living person ever directly by beaming the story into our heads?
As I said in page one of this thread and as I've gotten older and less dogmatic about my own lack of belief in God, I'm fine with any Christian that wants to view God as the watchmaker who started the big bang and the rest unfolded as proven science has established - but this 6,000 year old earth bullshit is absurd to anyone with even a modicum of critical thinking skills.

As Nye goes into great detail in the debate to point out it's absurd that a family could build an arc that modern ship builders cannot replicate - it's absurd to believe that tens of thousands of animal species were transported on a boat for nearly 1 year etc. etc.

As an ex-Catholic myself I was raised to believe most of the old testament was apocryphal
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:50 PM   #60
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Even fundamentalists like Ham can't believe that the King James or similar editions are the literal word of god anymore. Unless every scribe who made a copy of a copy of a copy of a translation of a copy of a transplation of a copy was also inspired by god?
Studies of the Dead sea scrolls and the modern Torah show almost NO difference. Remember this is a document that have been copied for the last 2000 years. Divine inspiration?! No, more likely rigorous quality control as every copy is checked and rechecked for errors.

Problem is with translations. There are numerous mistranslations when going from the Hebrew Torah to the Greek Septuagint and then to the Latin Vulgate and finally to the "old" new English of the King James.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.