New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Death is not an option!
Ginger 22 29.33%
Mary Ann 53 70.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 8 2014, 12:33 AM   #76
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Ginger or Mary Ann?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I'd have to take urbandefault's side on this. Darrin drank the way he did because that's just what guys did back then, at least on T.V.
Bingo. I doubt that Darrin's alcohol consumption was supposed to be at all excessive when the show is produced. The show was just reflecting the era, when every well-equipped suburban home had its own bar and Madison Avenue types like Darrin drank that way as a matter of course.

Watch the original 1950s version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and notice just how much casual drinking is going on in the early scenes when everything is still "normal." You apparently couldn't drop in on a neighbor without being offered a stiff drink and then another drink "for the road." All of which is taken for granted by movie and its characters. It was just part of everyday life.

Darrin Stevens would have felt right at home.
Old February 8 2014, 12:42 AM   #77
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Okay.... the more I watch of these reruns the more I might be going back into Mary Ann's camp. But, I dunno... there's just still something "about" Ginger.
One thing I noticed is that those bouffant/beehive whatever hairdos on Gilligan's Island didn't always do Tina Louise justice. I've seen photos of her from other sources that I think are much more flattering (IMO) such as on her wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Louise.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 02:28 AM   #78
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Mary Ann > Ginger
Samantha > Jeannie
Bailey Quarters > Jennifer Marlowe
Dare I admit that I had no idea who "Bailey" or "Jennifer" were?

(Although I've since picked up from context that they were the female characters on WKRP, whose names I could not have remembered if my life depended on it.)
Old February 8 2014, 02:40 AM   #79
urbandefault
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Mary Ann > Ginger
Samantha > Jeannie

(Although I've since picked up from context that they were the female characters on WKRP, whose names I could not have remembered if my life depended on it.)
Jan Smithers and Loni Anderson.
Old February 8 2014, 02:45 AM   #80
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Mary Ann > Ginger
Samantha > Jeannie

They changed the show's time slot on a weekly basis, it was hard to find back in the day. I'm sure a lot of people missed it.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 02:52 AM   #81
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

They changed the show's time slot on a weekly basis, it was hard to find back in the day. I'm sure a lot of people missed it.
Oh, I watched the show back in the day and fondly remember "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

I just didn't realize that "Bailey vs. Jennifer" was a thing like "Mary Ann vs. Ginger" or "Betty vs. Veronica," etc. I guess I never thought of the characters as particularly iconic . . .
Old February 8 2014, 02:54 AM   #82
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I just didn't realize that "Bailey vs. Jennifer" was a thing like "Mary Ann vs. Ginger" or "Betty vs. Veronica," etc. I had no idea the characters had achieved iconic status . . .
I think it was more a thing for those of us guys who were discovering the difference between boys and girls when the show was running.
Old February 8 2014, 02:56 AM   #83
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Different from town to town, up and down the dial?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I just didn't realize that "Bailey vs. Jennifer" was a thing like "Mary Ann vs. Ginger" or "Betty vs. Veronica," etc. I had no idea the characters had achieved iconic status . . .
I think it was more a thing for those of us guys who were discovering the difference between boys and girls when the show was running.
Marina or Atlanta?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 02:59 AM   #84
urbandefault
Captain

Oh, I watched the show back in the day and fondly remember "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

I just didn't realize that "Bailey vs. Jennifer" was a thing like "Mary Ann vs. Ginger" or "Betty vs. Veronica," etc. I guess I never thought of the characters as particularly iconic . . .
Oh, yeah. It was definitely a thing, even back then. At least in my group of lecherous post-teenage guys.

I loved WKRP and never missed it. The revival was a nice try, but it never quite recaptured the magic of the original.
Old February 8 2014, 03:39 AM   #85
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Marina or Atlanta?
Eh, now it's my turn to cry, "whoosh."
Old February 8 2014, 03:42 AM   #86
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Mary Ann. It's not just the fact that I find her adorable, it's also that Ginger's personality turns me way off. Mary Ann seems more like a confident, intelligent, funny, sweet person, one who is capable of taking care of herself, and I find that immensely appealing.
Ginger had a personality?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
If Samantha's family hated Darrin that much, could they have pooled their magical powers to actively try to break them up? Or was Samantha powerful enough to be a defense against that?

I mean, we are talking magic vs. mortality here. I'm guessing that in the universe of this show, there's no defense against magic, at least nothing that Darrin could have come up with. So I am curious as to why the rest of Samantha's family didn't just cast a spell on him to get him to leave or something. Samantha must be more powerful than all of them put together...
Among other observations made upthread, there were times when Samantha and Darrin got caught between the machinations of Endora vs Uncle Arthur. There were definitely times when Endora would do something nasty to Darrin and Uncle Arthur would try to help - not because he liked Darrin, but because he didn't like Endora.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 03:55 AM   #87
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Oh, like Julie Newmar vs. Eartha Kitt, you mean?
Old February 8 2014, 03:58 AM   #88
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Ginger had a personality?
Sure she did! I mean, most of the time it wasn't a great personality but it was there.
Old February 8 2014, 04:02 AM   #89
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Marina or Atlanta?
Eh, now it's my turn to cry, "whoosh."
One of my earliest crushes was that mermaid. Troy/Marina shipper, me Long ago...
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old February 8 2014, 04:04 AM   #90
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Oh, like Julie Newmar vs. Eartha Kitt, you mean?
and Lee Meriwether for a wild card. http://www.gayse.net/wp-content/uplo...Meriwether.jpg