Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Death is not an option!
Ginger 22 29.33%
Mary Ann 53 70.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5 2014, 02:46 AM   #31
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Ginger or Mary Ann?

Mistral wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Bailey, people? Seriously?
Very much so.
Agreed. And let's not forget Kotter's wife, either. Or Pam Dawber as Mindy. All from the same general mode.
Always had a thing for Julie haha. And my jokes are probably no worse than Mr. Kotter... Bailey too.

I agree with Trekker though that Ginger has grown on me through the years.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:52 AM   #32
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Shik wrote: View Post
Bailey Quarters was a dirty, dirty little minx. Jennifer Marlowe was a bit of a tease who knew what she had & simply flaunted it. Bailey used it & liked it.
Uh, no. Just no.

I would hardly call Bailey a "dirty little minx." If she were that, I wouldn't find her nearly so much more appealing than Jennifer. (And the main thing I found appealing about Jennifer was that she had more raw intellect than Carlson, Herb, and Les put together, and was independently wealthy, with no need to work for a living, and yet she not only stuck around WKRP, but used her position as "trophy receptionist" to quietly keep the fools from destroying the place. In other words, she was to Carlson, Herb, and Les what 99 was to Max. (Although I've always found a young Barbara Feldon better looking than Loni Anderson.)

Bailey, I found appealing because she (like Mrs. Kotter, and Mindy McConnell) was of an earthy, playful sort of beauty.

Incidentally, unlike a lot of people, I didn't have a problem with the DVD release of WKRP substituting production needle-drops for the real top-40 songs, except on the rare occasions where the real song was crucial to a joke. WKRP wasn't about rock music; it was about a radio station where the people supposedly in charge are idiots. And a good chunk of the humor would have worked just as well even if WKRP had been, say, a classical station.

(Now, can we get a chorus of the Morrison Tires [formerly Ferryman Funeral Home] jingle?)

And yes, when I actually watched Gilligan's Island, I did find Mary-Ann more appealing than Ginger And I don't recall having a preference between Jeanie the Genie and Samantha the Witch.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:53 AM   #33
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Now, not to malign Mary Ann who is beautiful in many ways and probably more attractive over all than Ginger
I read sentences like this and I find myself utterly confused...until I remind myself that guys around here thought Cobie Smulders was hotter than Scarlett Johanssen in The Avengers and i realize trying to make sense out of these sentiments is pointless.

I'm sticking with Team Ginger. You guys do what you want.
"Attractive" doesn't have to be limited to physical beauty. Mary Ann had a better overall personality and demeanor than Ginger which bumps up her attractiveness.
Right. I get she was a sweet farm girl. I find "Sweet Farm Girl" ridiculously boring.

Yeah, the people who crowned Dawn Wells as Miss Nevada were probably all Forbidden Planet nuts.

WTF does this even mean?

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 05:01 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

"Attractive" doesn't have to be limited to physical beauty. Mary Ann had a better overall personality and demeanor than Ginger which bumps up her attractiveness.
Mary Ann easily surpasses Ginger in physical beauty as well.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 05:08 AM   #35
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Yeah, the people who crowned Dawn Wells as Miss Nevada were probably all Forbidden Planet nuts.

WTF does this even mean?
Actually, the question is, what does this even mean:

Now, not to malign Mary Ann who is beautiful in many ways and probably more attractive over all than Ginger
I read sentences like this and I find myself utterly confused...until I remind myself that guys around here thought Cobie Smulders was hotter than Scarlett Johanssen in The Avengers and i realize trying to make sense out of these sentiments is pointless.

I'm sticking with Team Ginger. You guys do what you want.
Old February 5 2014, 05:15 AM   #36
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Ehhh.... I dunno. Red hair. Beauty mark....
Old February 5 2014, 05:34 AM   #37
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
And Willow > Cordelia.
Buffy Season 1 Cordelia or Angel Season 3 Cordelia? (Though almost always agreed either way).
While I admit that she had gotten much hotter by Season 3 of Angel, I will ALWAYS choose Willow over Cordy.
Well, I wasn't even so much thinking physically. But yeah, aside from brief periods I'm the same.
Old February 5 2014, 08:45 AM   #38
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
And the main thing I found appealing about Jennifer was that she had more raw intellect than Carlson, Herb, and Les put together, and was independently wealthy, with no need to work for a living, and yet she not only stuck around WKRP, but used her position as "trophy receptionist" to quietly keep the fools from destroying the place. In other words, she was to Carlson, Herb, and Les what 99 was to Max.
Andy wasn't dumb, though, and he was the program director as well.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:21 PM   #39
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

Location: Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991...but I'll be back in 2016.
View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

Buffy Season 1 Cordelia or Angel Season 3 Cordelia? (Though almost always agreed either way).
While I admit that she had gotten much hotter by Season 3 of Angel, I will ALWAYS choose Willow over Cordy.
Well, I wasn't even so much thinking physically. But yeah, aside from brief periods I'm the same.
Oh, so you were talking about Bitchy Cordy vs. Nice Cordy? She definitely became much more likeable once she started getting the visions and realized she's not the center of the universe. It's not that I dislike her by any means. I just find Willow irresistably charming.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:16 PM   #40
Forbin
Admiral

I have Dawn Wells friended on Facebook, and she's still an absolute doll.

Ginger was too high-maintenance. Mary Ann was the knockout next door.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:21 PM   #41
Forbin
Admiral

As for KRP - recognizing that Jennifer was as much brains as beauty, she was over-the-top beautiful, if that makes any sense. Also, again, too high-maintenance. Bailey was more my type. Just as beautiful as Jenny-poo, but more down to earth and accessible.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:47 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
Ehhh.... I dunno. Red hair. Beauty mark....
I've never seen the appeal of a "beauty mark." They're usually fake anyway. Mary Ann's face is gorgeous without needing any artificial embellishment, and she's got a decidedly curvier figure.

Forbin wrote: View Post
As for KRP - recognizing that Jennifer was as much brains as beauty, she was over-the-top beautiful, if that makes any sense. Also, again, too high-maintenance. Bailey was more my type. Just as beautiful as Jenny-poo, but more down to earth and accessible.
I found Jennifer rather repulsive-looking. Everything about her that was supposedly attractive was totally artificial.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 05:27 PM   #43
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
And neither were Johnny, Venus (a schoolteacher, by training, if you recall -- remember his metaphor of the atom as three street gangs in a round neighborhood?), or Bailey.

But before Andy showed up, Johnny was completely demoralized, Bailey was completely cowed, Momma Carlson was using the station as a loss for tax purposes, and Venus wasn't around until Andy hired him, leaving Jennifer to keep the place from falling apart completely.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 05:34 PM   #44
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
And neither were Johnny, Venus (a schoolteacher, by training, if you recall -- remember his metaphor of the atom as three street gangs in a round neighborhood?), or Bailey.

But before Andy showed up, Johnny was completely demoralized, Bailey was completely cowed, Momma Carlson was using the station as a loss for tax purposes, and Venus wasn't around until Andy hired him, leaving Jennifer to keep the place from falling apart completely.
IIRC, it was Johnny who figured out the tax write-off angle in the series finale. He and Mrs. Carlson's butler Hirsch (Mr. AtoZ) were the only other characters who knew that. I think Johnny said something like, "It's so warped, even I get it."
Old February 5 2014, 08:14 PM   #45
Shik
Commander

Shik wrote: View Post
Bailey Quarters was a dirty, dirty little minx. Jennifer Marlowe was a bit of a tease who knew what she had & simply flaunted it. Bailey used it & liked it.
Uh, no. Just no.

I would hardly call Bailey a "dirty little minx." If she were that, I wouldn't find her nearly so much more appealing than Jennifer.)
But she was. Watch the body language, listen to the innuendos...& even Jan Smithers had said in interviews that she tried to give hints of this raw sexuality just under the surface of Bailey's outer personality. Remember, it was the late 70s--key parties, "Plato's Retreat", & all that.