TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 19 2014, 03:45 PM   #91
Starbrow
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Strain (Guillermo del Toro's New FX Summer Show)

sojourner wrote: View Post
We see people attempting to use them, but I don't recall anyone getting through. Unless you count Eph leaving repeated messages for whatsherface, but that could just be the system sending him straight to a mailbox.
Apperently on rare occasion you can make a call to FBI, so they can catch Eph.

6th epsiode was good but:

They build up to the Solar Eclipse, and i was expecting to see something more than 1 vampire runing exacly past FBI car - i was totaly rolling eyes there. In the whole city, the dead corner had to run exacly past Eph's car, exacly at the moment of a Solar Eclipse - it's like he was sitting nearby for days waiting for the Solar eclipse to happen, and when it does he run in to the middle of a street, ignoring all the near by pedestrials, and then trying to pull the driver out of a car instead of biting her.

If this was in the book, they should have changed it, it totaly ruined the Solar Eclipse moment.

NYC Bureau of pest control - rats carring worms in them, biting the chef in a locked room - i think they should have added this scene in the last episode. Instead it felt like it came out of nowhere - a very weak moment. Vasily already saw the Vampires in the sewers, so there was no need for writers to kill his coworkers. I think a more touching moment would have been for him to try to explaine to his coworkers about what he saw in the sewers.

One thing i didn't understood: When Vasiliy enters NYC Bureau - He asks: " Did you hear what happend in the park?" - What happend in the park? That was really puzzling.

FBI plot was also weak. Interrogation room looked very old( really didn't like the colors on the walls ), and two agents acting on there own, could have added some cops around, to create an atmospher.

The old guy trying to recruit a taxi driver - i found it strangly to be funny. At the begining of the scene in the taxi, i though to my self -" Why would they add a taxi scene?"." Is he going to try and recruit a taxi driver? "

Overall it was a good episode.
Starbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 04:08 PM   #92
Borgminister

As flawed as it is, it at least holds your interest, unlike the painfully boring Extant.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 05:57 PM   #93
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Renewed for season 2
Old August 20 2014, 06:14 AM   #94
JD
Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
As flawed as it is, it at least holds your interest, unlike the painfully boring Extant.
I actually had the same thought the other day. Both shows are going for a slow build, but The Strain manages to make it work, while Extant isn't quite as successful.
I did enjoy the episode overall, but I do agree that eclipse stuff was rather disappointing.
I'm glad we finally have Eph, Setrakian, and Nora together.
Old August 20 2014, 06:46 AM   #95
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I echo previous comments. I wish the show picked things up a bit more, but it's interesting enough to hold my interest. The eclipse was definitely a little disappointing. For some reason, I remember it differently in the book. Although, it has been a while since I've read the book. Regardless, I'll keep watching.
Old August 25 2014, 06:24 AM   #96
sojourner
Admiral

Oooh, good vampires. Not too sparkly though!
Old August 25 2014, 06:44 AM   #97
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Factions.

Rules.

This is an alarmingly good inclusion.

It means that it's not alpowerful Dracula vs. The Mayor of new York. Dracula is a Hobo asshole attacking America that already has a Vampire King who likes the status quo with freerange food... Really from the looks of these soldier boys, they probably have battery farms like in Daybreakers and have no interest in actively declaring their ownership of humanity as long as their much smaller civilization ticks over happily.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; August 25 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 02:22 PM   #98
Beagleman
Captain

Finaly something interesting, Vamp hunting Vamps, seems I'm still in.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 05:53 AM   #99
JD
Admiral

This was definitely the best episode of the series so far. I was not expecting that ending at all.
Old August 31 2014, 01:07 AM   #100
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

I just watched "For Services Rendered". Oh wow. Is that hunter leader one of the other Ancients?
Old August 31 2014, 04:58 AM   #101
JD
Admiral

I had just assumed he just another one of the same kind of intelligent Vampires as Eichorst. I didn't even think of he could be another one of the Ancients.
Old August 31 2014, 08:34 AM   #102
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Ancient is a sliding scale.

Lets assume that there's a pyramid scheme at work here.

The rest of the Vamps working for the Vamp who was giving orders, has someone below him (those guys) and someone above him, who probably has someone else above him still, and so on, and so on.

Are we assuming some sort of ant-telepathy or bio-triggers that are programmed chemically upon transmission of the virus?

If it's like radio then either we are talking wavelengths, or if it is all on the single wavelength, it could just be a question of volume and potency.

Royal Jelly or Time?

How does an unthinking monster later become a person who happens to drink blood.

If it's jelly, or something like jelly that turns a drone into a Queen as far as bees are concerned, is it a one time dose or periodic?

If it's time, then it's like doctors or lawyers in a practice... but if you try to rise in the ranks too quickly you're just going to be murdered by your superiors before you do become a real threat.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2014, 12:36 PM   #103
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Well, we already know there's at least a few other ancients, and they each have their own agendas.

If taking over the earth and revealing their presence to the general population was any of their plans, that's clearly something they would have indulged in by now. So, the so-called "Master" is obviously in opposition to the other ancients.

It's also very likely that an ancient wouldn't have any issue taking out even a score of minor vampires; not with the powers we've seen in the Master's possession already, including the flying and whatnot. We also know that the Master has the ability to create sentient vampires, ala Eichorst. So it stands to reason that the other ancients have a similar ability.

Considering that the black ops squad all appeared to be more like Eichorst than the Master, it also stands to reason that they weren't ancients, just minions of another ancient or (probably more likely) group of ancients. A sort of police force they put together to keep their identities secret from the world, hence them already being well-trained and equipped despite the Master only having recently revealed his plot.
Old September 2 2014, 07:38 PM   #104
kitik
Commander

Just caught up on the last 4 episodes. Pretty good.

So for Sunday night's episode, I was like

but then I was like

and then later
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2014, 10:50 AM   #105
Beagleman
Captain

Yeah, Hobbit was obvious. Last episode was very meh. Trapped in a gas station for a whole episode, zombie movie cliche (plus I don't care about any of those characters except whatshisname with sword and whatshisname rat killer)!
I'd like more vampire backround...
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote