Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 4 2014, 09:11 PM   #46
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: Is Avery Brooks a good actor?

Yes, IMO, he's an excellent actor.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I think his acting would be great live on stage, but sometimes I think he forgot that there was a camera right in front of his face.
I saw him on stage a few years ago, in a fairly small theater. I was in the first row, the equivalent of a camera right in front of his face, and my sense was that he was probably even better from a few rows back.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 09:23 PM   #47
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

dub wrote: View Post
I felt Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimerman both got better as their makeup improved. I think Nana Visitor was better as she toned down her anger, but in her defense that was a character development.
Kira's development became obvious after Duet: confront past, grow mature. Odo's was more difficult. Auberjonois was extremely disappointed with his character in season one. He may have even threatened to quit. Season 2 was a huge turn around, obviously leading into the cultivation of the Dominion War. In the beginning, he was the funny alien who changed shapes. By the end, he held the key to understanding between peoples: he was the one who brought the Dominion War to its end.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 09:32 PM   #48
JD5000
Commander

Tora Zival, and Philip Seymour Hoffman's recent death, just made me think about what it would be like to see Avery Brooks on stage. I think he would be great as Willy in 'Death of a Salesman'. He would also make a really interesting Stanley in 'Streetcar'.

EDIT: Apparently he did play Willy Loman back in '08....to youtube! Here's a link to the trailer for the production at Oberlin College, if anyone's interested.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 09:51 PM   #49
Shik
Commander

I've seen clips from Brooks' one-man show about Paul Robeson & he was brilliant.
Old February 5 2014, 04:29 PM   #50
sonak
Vice Admiral

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
I felt Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimerman both got better as their makeup improved. I think Nana Visitor was better as she toned down her anger, but in her defense that was a character development.
Kira's development became obvious after Duet: confront past, grow mature. Odo's was more difficult. Auberjonois was extremely disappointed with his character in season one. He may have even threatened to quit. Season 2 was a huge turn around, obviously leading into the cultivation of the Dominion War. In the beginning, he was the funny alien who changed shapes. By the end, he held the key to understanding between peoples: he was the one who brought the Dominion War to its end.
I find that baffling-season 1 Odo was one of the most unique characters in Star Trek-a gruff outsider with no knowledge of where he came from. Unlike Spock in that he was emotional and he had no known heritage to draw from. Unlike Data in that he didn't want to be more like the Humans.

Then came late season 2 onwards Odo, and he became the love-sick guy whose people were at war with his adopted friends. I think he was better early on.
Old February 8 2014, 01:56 PM   #51
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I do not find Avery Brooks to be a good actor. It always sounds like Sisko is quoting things remembered. He never speaks in a normal, conversational manner. LaVar Burton is a far superior actor, in this regard. However, I do not feel that Burton has the "presence" to be believable as a military commander. Which is ironic, in a way, because many real-life military commanders look rather ordinary and unintimidating. But from a storybook, Hollywood perspective, Avery Brooks definitely looks like someone men would follow into battle. I do not mean to sound overly critical of his acting, however. I find him at least as convincing as Shatner - and The Shat's hammy acting certainly didn't hurt him none, in STAR TREK, or in Hollywood.
Old February 8 2014, 04:12 PM   #52
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Jeffrey Combs said of Brooks in "Far Beyond the Stars": "Avery was spectacular. There was a scene toward the end where he falls apart with the camera right in front of his nose. It was just riveting."
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 07:30 PM   #53
JD5000
Commander

If Jeffery Combs thinks so, I believe him....in my opinion, Combs is a phenomenal actor. I only know his work in the context of DS9, but he managed to immediately bring life to characters that were extremely diverse from the first time they appeared on screen, very little development was necessary.

In response to 2takes, I disagree. I think Levar Burton presented LaForge as someone who had no problem taking charge and issuing orders when necessary, he just picked the right times to do so and trusted his team the rest of the time. Unless a romantic interest had something to do with it, but lucky for him there is little time for that during wartime.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 01:09 PM   #54
M
Vice Admiral

To be honest, I'm somewhat puzzled over why Burton is brought up at all. What's the connection, other than the fact that both actors are dark-skinned?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 01:14 PM   #55
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I simply find LeVar Burton to be a fine, thespian actor, M.
Old February 9 2014, 01:35 PM   #56
Tosk
Rear Admiral

He's an actor actor?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 01:43 PM   #57
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Yes. Kind of like how New York, New York is a city city.
Old February 9 2014, 01:53 PM   #58
Tosk
Rear Admiral

It's a hell of a town.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 06:48 AM   #59
CrazyMatt
Commander

Yes, certainly, and he was the most realistic captain too.
Old February 15 2014, 08:10 PM   #60
Navaros
Commodore

No, Brooks is not a good actor, because his acting becomes vastly unbelievable whenever has has to get emotional, i.e. his flip-out scene in FBTS.

Ah, here is Combs talking about the scene I just cited:

DS9forever wrote: View Post
Jeffrey Combs said of Brooks in "Far Beyond the Stars": "Avery was spectacular. There was a scene toward the end where he falls apart with the camera right in front of his nose. It was just riveting."
I love Combs (Combs himself is a far better actor than Brooks, and most of the rest of the main DS9 cast), but Combs is dead wrong about what he said there. That scene should be riveting, but instead, Brooks' terrible acting makes it laughable.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote