Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 2 2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Harry Potter relationships

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
Vindication!! Haha! She called us 'delusional' back and in the day and now she turns that around.
She what?!

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
Now it's not so much that I think Harry had to necessarily end up with Hermione, rather anyone BUT Ginny in my mind. That's just so sick that he married a girl who was basically groomed to be his bride from birth.
Uh... I've got dozens of complaints with the series, but this is absurd. Being aware of a famous person isn't being "groomed" to marry said person, and since Harry always wanted a family more than anything, officially joining the Weasley clan makes perfect sense for him. I'd have preferred him and Hermy, but am not at all bothered by that pairing.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 03:21 PM   #17
Mr Light
Admiral

While it was true in the early books that Ginny was star-struck with him, in Book 5 she moved on and was dating other people and was very self-confident.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 03:25 PM   #18
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Harry/Luna seemed more likely in the books as time went on, moreso in the films. Ginny's silly crush always seemed to be something that would fade with time, and she did start dating others, then suddenly they're together? never made sense to me.

But Ron/Hermione was painfully obvious from the start, becoming more of a "get on with it already" stunted plot point until the final two books.
Old February 2 2014, 03:46 PM   #19
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
That said... I was actually fine with Ginny once I got used to the idea. She was pretty much an empty shell of a character during the first books but later on I thought Rowling actually developed her quite well as an independent, strong, intelligent girl. She certainly wasn't the silly little girl admiring Harry anymore. She seemed strong enough (as a character) to be his equal which explains why I was sad that her role in the last book wasn't bigger. I understand that Rowling wanted to focus on the three friends but excluding Ginny at that point felt artificial to me.
Yeah, those are pretty much my exact thoughts. My biggest disappointment is she got virtually no attention at all in the final book. I get that she isn't one of the three, but she was a close fourth.
Old February 2 2014, 04:00 PM   #20
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it felt like Rowling spent more time telling us about Harry and Ginny's relationship than showing us. But then again I think it would have caused Rowling INTENSE physical pain if she had actually written Harry being happy for more than one consecutive page. She loved to revel in the misery.

Ginny was underutilized in the final book.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 06:01 PM   #21
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Harry/Luna seemed more likely in the books as time went on, moreso in the films. Ginny's silly crush always seemed to be something that would fade with time, and she did start dating others, then suddenly they're together? never made sense to me.

But Ron/Hermione was painfully obvious from the start, becoming more of a "get on with it already" stunted plot point until the final two books.
That's what I thought. And honestly, I also thought we just didn't see quieter moments with Ron and Hermione because we were focused on Harry. I mean, Ron and Hermione weren't with Harry 24/7.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 06:07 PM   #22
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

The minds of shippers are truly amazing. The end be all for these characters apparently isn't character development or growth or advancement of the plot, but who to marry them off too in the end.
Old February 2 2014, 07:14 PM   #23
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
The minds of shippers are truly amazing. The end be all for these characters apparently isn't character development or growth or advancement of the plot, but who to marry them off too in the end.
You're right - after all, long-term relationships have absolutely nothing to do with character development or growth, and have no bearing on the plot.

Wait, what?

Dude, this is entertainment, just a few people having fun. If you want to discuss instances of non-relationship character growth, or talk about your favorite spells or whatever, feel free to start a thread of your own. But to click on a "Harry Potter relationships" thread and then complain that people are talking about relationships in Harry Potter is most definitely not amazing.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 07:17 PM   #24
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

I was always a Harry/Hermione shipper, but Ron/Hermione is excellent too IMO.

I think Harry/Ginny is okay, but I was never really into Ginny.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 07:28 PM   #25
DWF
Vice Admiral

I've only seen the movies but to me Ron and Hermione didn't act like much of a couple, but Harry and Nermione seemed to have a perfect chemistry. They looked like a couple especially during the dance scene in Deathly Hallows part I.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 07:44 PM   #26
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

DWF wrote: View Post
I've only seen the movies but to me Ron and Hermione didn't act like much of a couple, but Harry and Nermione seemed to have a perfect chemistry. They looked like a couple especially during the dance scene in Deathly Hallows part I.
That scene though was designed to make you think that, but then (if you're going by the movies only) look at their faces at the end of that dance...Hermione just looks so depressed and is basically saying "BUT YOU'RE NOT RON!" through her facial expression.

I've read the books too and have all the movies and I rooted for Harry and Hermione. But Deathly Hallows finalized that for me...that it was just never gonna happen.

But I do agree, in the movies especially, Harry and Hermione had awesome chemistry.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old February 2 2014, 07:49 PM   #27
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
While it was true in the early books that Ginny was star-struck with him, in Book 5 she moved on and was dating other people and was very self-confident.
Yeah, she was heartbroken over that dude Dean Thomas in Half-Blood Prince if I recall correctly. She got over him super fast though and jumped into Harry's arms fairly easily.

Dang...I need to have a marathon of books and/or movies soon. I'm usually a walking Harry Potter dictionary, but I am actually second guessing myself on that name right now.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old February 2 2014, 08:00 PM   #28
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

It was Dean Thomas. But apparently before the Felix potion, they'd been rocky.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 08:15 PM   #29
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Hermione was worse to Ron than Ron was to her, it's just that Hermione was more of a crybaby than Ron (he gets insulted worse, he never cries) and Hermione was Rowling's self-insert character so Rowling took it more personally.

This whole ship war was the direct result of Rowling's laziness anyways, it's always a terrible idea to write only ONE major female character in a mostly male cast. Pairing her up with someone she'd been writing as the sidekick would naturally upset many readers.

If Rowling hadn't written only ONE major female, introduced Luna sooner, reduced Hermione's importance and maintained Ginny as a major character after the second book, the ship wars never would've gotten so bad.

Also, if she'd written from more than just Harry's POV it would've made it clear that Harry really wasn't all that great a lead character. But she probably realized this, which is why she never did it.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2014, 08:25 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

I only have the movies to go on, but Hermoine and Ron seemed like such an obvious choice. From "The Goblet of Fire" onward they clearly had a relationship brewing. By the sixth movie, even Ginny agrees, "It's about time."