Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Is Star Trek better as a TV series or a film series?
TV Series 58 95.08%
Film Series 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4 2014, 11:11 PM   #46
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Is Star Trek better as a TV series or a film series?

Viper78 wrote: View Post

He did a fantastic job on BSG & having worked on TNG, DS9 & Voyager, I couldn't think of anyone better for a new Star Trek TV series.
All of those things are the reasons why he isn't the best suited to lead a new Trek series. Honestly, I want someone who has worked in action/sci-fi but has no connections to Star Trek at all.
Old February 4 2014, 11:24 PM   #47
Wereghost
Commodore

TV, easily. It was Trek's natural home.

The movies, in terms of resources used, are each more like a season of TV (or several seasons) than an episode. I've enjoyed both of the NuTrek movies, but a TV version could no doubt have been much more satisfying.
Old February 4 2014, 11:34 PM   #48
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

TV. It's easier to hit more bases in the long run with a series.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 01:10 AM   #49
dub
Captain

Viper78 wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
If Ron Moore voted, he would choose TV. He would also love to produce Trek on TV again! Woohoo!

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/tubetal...ron-moore.html
I would be really pleased if this happened!!!

He did a fantastic job on BSG & having worked on TNG, DS9 & Voyager, I couldn't think of anyone better for a new Star Trek TV series.
Agreed!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:39 AM   #50
I am not Spock
Commodore

Honestly , I can think of no one I'd rather welcome back to the Star Trek TV fold with open arms, than Ronald D Moore. He'd do an excellent job
Old February 8 2014, 10:51 PM   #51
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Maybe a creative production team made up of Joss Whedon and Ron Moore?

Last edited by T'Girl; February 8 2014 at 11:41 PM.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 11:05 PM   #52
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^Good pair in my opinion if they were making a new series.
Old February 9 2014, 08:37 AM   #53
milojthatch
Lieutenant

I like the original 10 films, but Trek is always better as a tv show.
milojthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 08:41 PM   #54
Lucky
Commander

Definitely TV series. But I love both.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 11:50 PM   #55
Roddenberry
Lieutenant Commander

Didn't think it'd be close, surprised how far apart the votes are.
Roddenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 03:02 AM   #56
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Story wise, a lot more goes into a season of episodes than a 2 hour (if you're lucky) movie. People like more.
Old February 11 2014, 07:16 AM   #57
Sci Fi Fan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Much prefer TV, as it is more geared toward trek fans than to the general public and can develop stories in much greater depth.
Sci Fi Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2014, 10:31 AM   #58
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

sonak wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
Star Trek has been both a TV series and a film series over the decades, but what do you think Star Trek works better as, a TV series or a film series?
TV. The big screen has a formula: put the Enterprise, a crew member, and the Earth in peril from some bad guy bent on revenge. Kirk or Picard kick their butts, cue the Star Trek theme as the Enterprise flies away. The End.

The TV series did a much better job of keeping me entertained.
Huh-that "formula" is pretty broad, and would cover most episodes as well, since by including bad guys, a plot where ANYBODY in the entire series at a minimum is in peril, you've made a pretty standard "hook." Who would go to see a Star Trek movie where there's literally nothing at stake since no one's in danger, and there's no action.("kirk and picard kick their butts.")
The key for me is "revenge." Before we see the Batman villian, we know what he wants. The two movies to not do this are The Motion Picture and The Voyage Home. There are PLENTY of episodes where there are other motivations. The Borg weren't looking for revenge, they weren't even searching for revenge in First Contact. BUT, we still had Picard "breaking his little ships" because of revenge. It's been done and is very stale.

Some different motivations: trying to get home, feeling guilt over destroying your enemy, trying to help the other side to avoid a potential war, wanting to protect the puny humans, wanting to entertain yourself, preserving your race, fighting for your cause, getting psychological needs met, "fish out of water," getting to the bottom of a crime, trying to build relationships with the Federation (but we can't communicate), trying to make peace, wanting to gain power, trying to explore, etc.

I mean, were you really expecting a Trek movie where the premise is something like "Family" or the big "hook" is that Lwaxana Troi is going to come and make her daughter and Picard uncomfortable? Can you imagine the trailers?
Seriously? Those are the only kind of episodes? Revenge requires phasers. It requires killing your enemy. The ship that is to explore, ALWAYS is at EARTH. Star Trek, stories that make Star Trek unique, become window trapping for a science fiction action film. So, no, I don't enjoy the movies as much as the series.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 01:38 PM   #59
Warped9
Admiral

Television, no question.

You can simply cover more ground and offer greater diversity with television because it adds up to simply more screen time and more opportunity.

TOS accomplished pretty much everything the series was meant to. Occasionally it stumbled in execution, but usually it was good and more then often excellent. The only advantage film offered was better f/x and more elaborate presentation, but often suffer from the pressure to be block buster epic. When I think of the best of a Trek it is scenes from the series that come to mind and very little of the films. The films offer a chance to make the setting look more detailed, but I don't think the stories are as rich.
Old February 13 2014, 06:44 PM   #60
sonak
Vice Admiral

TV. The big screen has a formula: put the Enterprise, a crew member, and the Earth in peril from some bad guy bent on revenge. Kirk or Picard kick their butts, cue the Star Trek theme as the Enterprise flies away. The End.

The TV series did a much better job of keeping me entertained.
Huh-that "formula" is pretty broad, and would cover most episodes as well, since by including bad guys, a plot where ANYBODY in the entire series at a minimum is in peril, you've made a pretty standard "hook." Who would go to see a Star Trek movie where there's literally nothing at stake since no one's in danger, and there's no action.("kirk and picard kick their butts.")
The key for me is "revenge." Before we see the Batman villian, we know what he wants. The two movies to not do this are The Motion Picture and The Voyage Home. There are PLENTY of episodes where there are other motivations. The Borg weren't looking for revenge, they weren't even searching for revenge in First Contact. BUT, we still had Picard "breaking his little ships" because of revenge. It's been done and is very stale.

Some different motivations: trying to get home, feeling guilt over destroying your enemy, trying to help the other side to avoid a potential war, wanting to protect the puny humans, wanting to entertain yourself, preserving your race, fighting for your cause, getting psychological needs met, "fish out of water," getting to the bottom of a crime, trying to build relationships with the Federation (but we can't communicate), trying to make peace, wanting to gain power, trying to explore, etc.

I mean, were you really expecting a Trek movie where the premise is something like "Family" or the big "hook" is that Lwaxana Troi is going to come and make her daughter and Picard uncomfortable? Can you imagine the trailers?
Seriously? Those are the only kind of episodes? Revenge requires phasers. It requires killing your enemy. The ship that is to explore, ALWAYS is at EARTH. Star Trek, stories that make Star Trek unique, become window trapping for a science fiction action film. So, no, I don't enjoy the movies as much as the series.

TMP and TVH BOTH involve Earth in peril, so you'd have to exclude them as well. Again, your formula was little to no action, little to no peril, and no bad guy wanting revenge. If you're going to rule those things out, you don't have a hook for a movie because you have nothing at stake. You can have episodes of exploring unusual phenomena with no peril, or just character-building, but you can't do that for a movie.