Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 3 2014, 04:28 AM   #46
Steve Roby
Commodore

Re: I hate her so much I skip pages with her on it.

I'm fine with Trys. She's a different kind of character from the Vulcans and half-Vulcans we've seen on Star Trek; she connects more to her human side. Considering TV Star Trek's bizarre biological determinism, that's progress. She also serves another role: she's a young officer who can be mentored by Picard. Everyone from TNG is too grown up to need that kind of relationship. I don't see much similarity with Abby, though. Trys is young and learning, whereas Abby is heading into middle age and seems arbitrarily quirky for the sake of having at least one dimension to her personality.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 03:50 AM   #47
JD
Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I hadn't even heard of it before looking up Chen's appearances. I haven't read many books from this ongoing trek novel continuity that are pre-Destiny (and I only read the first destiny book). Its not usually a big deal that I didn't read a lot of the early parts of the ongoing novel continuity, although I still have no idea what books had the big borg invasion in them that the current books can't stop talking about. When it comes to the early books, if the one you mentioned focuses on Chen (or any other enterprise crew member not seen on TV or movies) I'd avoid it if I saw it.
Which is a shame, because it is an amazing book.
Old February 4 2014, 10:21 AM   #48
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Zedferret wrote: View Post
I think it was a mistake to tone Chen down, She's the only new character with a distinct personality on the E-E.
Well, it was always my intent that she would be "toned down" somewhat from where she started -- that she'd begin as an unruly and unfocused junior officer who hadn't yet learned the discipline to develop her full potential, and that Captain Picard's mentoring would teach her that discipline and put her on the right path. Although she'd still retain her spontaneity and wit and lighten him up a little in return.
This. It's just like what Janeway did with Paris and B'elanna and what Picard himself did with Ro Laren. I loved in the Cold Fusion trilogy where she was left in command of the ship and was able to stop a shooting war with Gorn. Sure, Geordi could have been the one to be in the scene on the bridge, but having Chen there made it more fun.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 04:53 PM   #49
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I hadn't even heard of it before looking up Chen's appearances. I haven't read many books from this ongoing trek novel continuity that are pre-Destiny (and I only read the first destiny book). Its not usually a big deal that I didn't read a lot of the early parts of the ongoing novel continuity, although I still have no idea what books had the big borg invasion in them that the current books can't stop talking about. When it comes to the early books, if the one you mentioned focuses on Chen (or any other enterprise crew member not seen on TV or movies) I'd avoid it if I saw it.
Which is a shame, because it is an amazing book.
I'm sure for what it is, its fine. Its just not a ST book I'd read. While I enjoy a lot of book created characters, Chen is not a compelling character to me. Like I said, while I'm fairly neutral to her, she has all the characteristics of being someone I could find super annoying in large doses. She just seems goofy for the sake of being a goofy, weird starfleet officer. There just doesn't seem to be much of a point to Chen being goofy. She'd probably be more interesting if she wasn't a generic "offbeat" starfleet officer. The few other Enterprise book created officers were usually just boring/pointless (like Choudhurry, did Worf really need more tragedy for his character?). I think the only one I outright liked was the bit I read with Vale, and she just ended up going to Titan. The less said about those books, the better

Anyway, everyone enjoys different things, and I don't hate Chen. She's just not a very good character, but she's not bad enough (at least in what I've read) to elicit any response other then "meh".
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote