RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,550
Posts: 5,422,161
Members: 24,805
Currently online: 412
Newest member: Dylancute

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 4 2014, 01:02 AM   #1
Dm00221
Cadet
 
Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

At maximum warp, how many days does it take to travel from Earth to Romulus?
Dm00221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 01:49 AM   #2
EmperorTiberius
Captain
 
EmperorTiberius's Avatar
 
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

My guess would be days to weeks, but with producers, you never know.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 01:50 AM   #3
Unicron
Continuity Spackle
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Location: Cybertron
Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

It would depend on the speed of plot (naturally ) and also what "maximum warp" means. Not all ships have the same type speed.
__________________

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."


Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 02:31 AM   #4
Dm00221
Cadet
 
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

Thanks. Maximum warp, meaning warp 8 or 9. I'm thinking a time element may have been mentioned in an episode of one of the series or film.
Dm00221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 02:57 AM   #5
Albertese
Commodore
 
Albertese's Avatar
 
Location: Portland, OR
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

Well, how far could it possibly be? Given that the last major conflict Earth fought before there was a Federation was the Romulan War, is couldn't have been terribly far away. By TNG values of what warp 9 is, I would expect it to be a very short trip indeed.

--Alex
__________________
Check out my website: www.goldtoothstudio.squarespace.com
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 05:38 AM   #6
blssdwlf
Commodore
 
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

On the TOS warp scale (which was significantly faster than TNG's) probably less than a day at "maximum warp".

TNG+ it's harder to say. "First Contact" had a cut with an unknown period of time between Picard ordering the E-E at the RNZ to Earth and when we see them arrive at Earth.
__________________
My WIPs: TOS (and TFS) Enterprise / TOS Era Ships
Random Data: Starship Cargo Volumes
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Dm00221
Cadet
 
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

Cool. Thanks.
Dm00221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 07:05 PM   #8
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: USS Berlin
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

Strange it hasn't been mentioned, yet. We would have to know the speed of a subspace radio signal for which we got figures in "Balance of Terror" and "The Enterprise Incident". Kirk's real time conversation with his superior in "The Alternative Factor" provides some clues:

BARSTOW [on viewscreen]: Negative. I'm evacuating all Starfleet units and personnel within a hundred parsecs of your position. It's going to be tough on you and the Enterprise, but that's the job you've drawn. You're on your own.

Assuming Barstow was not evacuating himself, this would indicate a real-time conversation (including video) via subspace at a distance of at least 326 light years.

Balance of Terror

Just prior to arriving near Earth Outpost 4 Kirk orders "Open a channel to our nearest command base. Quarter hour reports on our position and status."

Later:

KIRK: Are you continuing to broadcast tactical reports?
UHURA [OC]: Affirmative, Captain.
KIRK: And at this distance?
UHURA [OC]: Approximately three hours before receiving a reply to our first message. (apparently the one above)

At the end of the episode:

RAND: We finally received an answer from Command base, sir. They say they'll support whatever decision you have to make.

Assuming that Kirk asked Uhura one hour after the first report to command base, it seems that it would take a subspace signal 2 hours to get to Starfleet and 2 more to get the reply.

Janice's "finally" isn't clear. Either it suggests that it's really quite some distance (conversations with Kirk's superiors light years away usually occur in real time!) or it took Starfleet a while to discuss what orders to relay to Kirk.

The Enterprise Incident

KIRK: You understand that Starfleet Command has been advised of the situation?
TAL [on viewscreen]: The subspace message will take three weeks to reach Starfleet [and three more to get a reply]. The decision is yours, Captain. One hour.

Now that really takes some time. I'd find it hard to believe that subspace technology had gotten worse.
However, Tal's information could be wrong and Starfleet somehow made the Romulans believe that it would take that long. Kirk doesn't comment on the time a reply would take.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Last edited by Robert Comsol; February 4 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 01:53 AM   #9
Shawnster
Fleet Captain
 
Shawnster's Avatar
 
Location: Clinton, OH
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

Now that really takes some time. I'd find it hard to believe that subspace technology had gotten worse.
However, Tal's information could be wrong and Starfleet somehow made the Romulans believe that it would take that long. Kirk doesn't comment on the time a reply would take.

Bob
Or Tal and the Enterprise are not in the same location of space that the Enterprise was in during Balance of Terror. With 3 dimensional space and the vastness of both the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire, some location may be much closer than others.

Additionally, advising Starfleet Command may not mean contacting Earth. Likewise, Barstow and Earth Outpost 4 may not be close to Earth.

So, how many days does it take to travel from Earth to Romulus? The world may never know.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:41 AM   #10
blssdwlf
Commodore
 
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Strange it hasn't been mentioned, yet. We would have to know the speed of a subspace radio signal for which we got figures in "Balance of Terror" and "The Enterprise Incident". Kirk's real time conversation with his superior in "The Alternative Factor" provides some clues:

BARSTOW [on viewscreen]: Negative. I'm evacuating all Starfleet units and personnel within a hundred parsecs of your position. It's going to be tough on you and the Enterprise, but that's the job you've drawn. You're on your own.

Assuming Barstow was not evacuating himself, this would indicate a real-time conversation (including video) via subspace at a distance of at least 326 light years.
In addition, we would need to know what is the maximum distance for "real-time communication". We've seen in TOS that there are times that the Enterprise needs to be close enough to establish real-time comm vs sending a message that they have to wait for a reply. (Example, in "Charlie X" the Antares was "barely in range" to communicate with the Enterprise when it was destroyed.)

For the TOS Enterprise, 100 parsecs could be traveled in a third of a day.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Balance of Terror

Janice's "finally" isn't clear. Either it suggests that it's really quite some distance (conversations with Kirk's superiors light years away usually occur in real time!) or it took Starfleet a while to discuss what orders to relay to Kirk.

The Enterprise Incident

KIRK: You understand that Starfleet Command has been advised of the situation?
TAL [on viewscreen]: The subspace message will take three weeks to reach Starfleet [and three more to get a reply]. The decision is yours, Captain. One hour.

Now that really takes some time. I'd find it hard to believe that subspace technology had gotten worse.
However, Tal's information could be wrong and Starfleet somehow made the Romulans believe that it would take that long. Kirk doesn't comment on the time a reply would take.
It's pretty likely that "The Enterprise Incident" takes place in an area of space much further away than in "Balance of Terror" and "The Deadly Years".
__________________
My WIPs: TOS (and TFS) Enterprise / TOS Era Ships
Random Data: Starship Cargo Volumes
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

What was the TNG episode where they travelled between Earth, Quonos and Romulus in the course of the story? Like, between Quonos and Romulus between commercials! Must have been Unification.

I laughed.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 09:58 PM   #12
Mytran
Fleet Captain
 
Mytran's Avatar
 
Location: North Wales
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

Perhaps the faster communication speeds in BOT were due to a network of subspace booster relays, relays which had been mysteriously destroyed prior to the events of TEI. Yep, the very events which led to the clandestine investigation by Kirk in the first place.

It could be that the "3 week" figure is the speed of natual subspace communications, without the benefit of boosters. Otherwise, we are talking about the events in TEI taking place 168 times further away than the ones in BOT. That is a LOT of light years!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 10:07 PM   #13
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

The Romulan drone ships from ENT got to and from their base on Remus and Earth/Vulcan/Andorian/Tellarite space in a blink.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 04:44 AM   #14
EmperorTiberius
Captain
 
EmperorTiberius's Avatar
 
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

Mytran wrote: View Post
Perhaps the faster communication speeds in BOT were due to a network of subspace booster relays, relays which had been mysteriously destroyed prior to the events of TEI. Yep, the very events which led to the clandestine investigation by Kirk in the first place.

It could be that the "3 week" figure is the speed of natual subspace communications, without the benefit of boosters. Otherwise, we are talking about the events in TEI taking place 168 times further away than the ones in BOT. That is a LOT of light years!

They don't have to be destroyed - Enterprise simply has to be deeper in space in TEI where there are no subspace relays.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 12:21 AM   #15
blssdwlf
Commodore
 
Re: Destination Romulus: Travel Time?

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
Mytran wrote: View Post
Perhaps the faster communication speeds in BOT were due to a network of subspace booster relays, relays which had been mysteriously destroyed prior to the events of TEI. Yep, the very events which led to the clandestine investigation by Kirk in the first place.

It could be that the "3 week" figure is the speed of natual subspace communications, without the benefit of boosters. Otherwise, we are talking about the events in TEI taking place 168 times further away than the ones in BOT. That is a LOT of light years!

They don't have to be destroyed - Enterprise simply has to be deeper in space in TEI where there are no subspace relays.
That's very possible as well. The only thing we know is how long communications will take but there are variables that we don't know:
1. Location
2. Subspace conditions between the location and Starfleet command
__________________
My WIPs: TOS (and TFS) Enterprise / TOS Era Ships
Random Data: Starship Cargo Volumes
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.