Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 31 2014, 12:30 AM   #16
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: New Aventine novel announced for 2015!

Enjoy the Aventine; don't enjoy Captain Ezri. The very idea that she's a Captain before literally every other character in all of the 24th century just chaps my ass. She was a neurotic waste of time one-season character who stole way too much of DS9's 7th season for herself when the time should have been spent on the crew we'd loved and lost with for the prior 6 years. Jadzia forever, Ezri never! :P

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 12:53 AM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Frontier wrote: View Post
Enjoy the Aventine; don't enjoy Captain Ezri. The very idea that she's a Captain before literally every other character in all of the 24th century just chaps my ass.
You're forgetting Kira Nerys (promoted to captain in 2376), Chakotay (promoted to captain in 2378), and Will Riker (promoted to captain in 2379). Not to mention Elizabeth Shelby, Kat Mueller, and Sonya Gomez. A lot of 24th-century series-regular characters (counting Gomez as the SCE lead) reached captain's rank before Ezri was promoted in 2381.

It's not as if every character is even pursuing captaincy in the first place. Militaries don't work that way. The higher the rank, the fewer people ever reach it. And ship command is just one specialty. The majority of people in any naval service go through their entire careers without getting ships to command, because quite a lot of them aren't trying to.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 03:35 AM   #18
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

Love the Aventine, great news!

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 04:32 AM   #19
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

Thrawn wrote: View Post
I've always felt like Aventine could drive a series; lots of great personalities. I've been a little bummed that, since A Singular Destiny, the Aventine's appearances have only focused on Ezri and Sam. I love Kedair, both in Destiny and ASD, and I've wanted to see more about her ever since. I hope JJM does the whole crew proud.
I'm with you Thrawn, been hoping for an ST: AVE series. I know it's just one book so far but I'll take it. 2015's going to be fun, Dawn arrives @ Ceres, New Horizons @ Pluto, & now the Aventine crew get their turn.
Old January 31 2014, 09:54 AM   #20
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I must admit, I'm more excited by this than the other recent announcement and I'm curious to know if this is based directly after the events of the Fall as it would be nice to see how Ezri copes with being in command again.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 04:06 PM   #21
dansigal
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Enjoy the Aventine; don't enjoy Captain Ezri. The very idea that she's a Captain before literally every other character in all of the 24th century just chaps my ass.
You're forgetting Kira Nerys (promoted to captain in 2376), Chakotay (promoted to captain in 2378), and Will Riker (promoted to captain in 2379). Not to mention Elizabeth Shelby, Kat Mueller, and Sonya Gomez. A lot of 24th-century series-regular characters (counting Gomez as the SCE lead) reached captain's rank before Ezri was promoted in 2381.

It's not as if every character is even pursuing captaincy in the first place. Militaries don't work that way. The higher the rank, the fewer people ever reach it. And ship command is just one specialty. The majority of people in any naval service go through their entire careers without getting ships to command, because quite a lot of them aren't trying to.
Case in point, Geordi was offered a command track posting as Riker's second on Titan, but decided he'd rather be a Chief Engineer.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 04:22 PM   #22
2of1million
Captain

Enjoy the Aventine; don't enjoy Captain Ezri. The very idea that she's a Captain before literally every other character in all of the 24th century just chaps my ass. She was a neurotic waste of time one-season character who stole way too much of DS9's 7th season for herself when the time should have been spent on the crew we'd loved and lost with for the prior 6 years. Jadzia forever, Ezri never! :P
I felt the same way, but she's kind of been growing on me the last few books. Still not sure I'd buy an Aventine novel though. Oh well, that's what public libraries are for. I might try it out there first.
2of1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 10:44 PM   #23
Cyfa
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm really looking forward to this novel for the promised Aventine-y goodness!
I love how Ezri has grown in the ten years (in universe) since we saw her as a newly joined ensign in DS9. Ten years is a long time, and during that period we've only seen brief glimpses into her life, but each time she graces a novel, her character becomes stronger and more rounded.
The same goes for Sam Bowers, Lonnnoc Kedair and Simon Tarses.
Cyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 06:01 AM   #24
JD
Admiral

I think it's worth pointing out that isn't going to be to be an Aventine only novel. I know one of the descriptions I read, either from JJM or Margaret Clark, said that it features more than just the Aventine characters. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was actually given the title for whatever series the other characters are from.
I'm pretty sure some of the other novels with Aventine in it were announced as "Aventine" novels, but released under a different series title.
Old February 1 2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I know one of the descriptions I read, either from JJM or Margaret Clark, said that it features more than just the Aventine characters.
I'd be curious to read that, as I'm sure others would be, any chance you can supply a link?

Old February 1 2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

From JJM's blog, (the link is in the OP by the way ) :

Following my debut in the Star Trek universe with next month's Titan: Absent Enemies e-novella, I have a full-length Star Trek novel releasing in 2015!

It's as Margaret describes: I had a lot of fun writing the novella, and was struck with a great idea for a stand-alone adventure novel set in the 24th Century era. It turned out to fit in well with Pocket Books' plans to focus on missions of exploration, as Margaret describes in the podcast, so I'm pleased to be doing it.

As she says in the interview, it involves the Aventine, the ship of Ezri Dax (who you may recall from Deep Space Nine and many fine Trek novels); there are also many characters familiar to viewers of The Next Generation with major roles. Far too early to say anything else, other than it should be a blast to read!
http://blog.farawaypress.com/2014/01...t-enemies.html
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 10:51 AM   #27
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Cheers, I think.

Old February 2 2014, 01:05 AM   #28
JD
Admiral

That was what I read, thanks Defcon.
Old February 2 2014, 02:03 PM   #29
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Mimi wrote: View Post
Woo, happy to see this happen!
Agreed, I enjoy the stories with Dax and the crew of the Aventine
Old February 4 2014, 12:18 AM   #30
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

You know...ever since A Singular Destiny, I've kinda been hoping Sonek would make a repeat appearance on Aventine and be a permanent fixture...a sort of Maturin to Dax's Aubrey.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote