Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 29 2014, 11:00 PM   #16
AgentCoop
Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile
Re: Best of What Worlds, Exactly?

I remember the first time I saw "Clerks". At one point Randal comes in and mentions to Dante that he had just been watching "The Best Of Both Worlds". "Ah!" says I. "Here comes another hilarious pop-culture deconstruction, this time about TNG."

Turns out Randal was NOT talking about Star Trek.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 11:04 PM   #17
USS Triumphant
Commodore

dub wrote: View Post
Be honest...the real reason you started this thread was to post that video!
Nope. jimbotron totally [s]provoked[/s] inspired that. The fact that I have that video in my Youtube favorites for quick reference is a complete coincidence.

(On a related matter - why is strikethrough disabled here?)
Old January 29 2014, 11:06 PM   #18
Armored Saint
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post
I guess it's a reference to the Borg themselves. They combine humanoid bodies and technological advancement to create a "superior" lifeform, the best of both worlds.
That's right. It wasn't referring to any specific "worlds" as in planets; it's just a common saying referring to achieving an optimal balance between conflicting things. That's how the Borg see themselves -- as the ideal balance of biology and machine. So there's an irony to the title, in that it's using this upbeat and somewhat banal expression to refer to the philosophy driving the villains of the piece.
I saw First Contact before TNG, so for me, The Best of both Worlds was clearly the to Flawed, weak, organic, but we evolved to include the synthetic. Now we use both to attain perfection.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 11:13 PM   #19
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
Be honest...the real reason you started this thread was to post that video!
Nope. jimbotron totally [s]provoked[/s] inspired that. The fact that I have that video in my Youtube favorites for quick reference is a complete coincidence.

(On a related matter - why is strikethrough disabled here?)
Yeah, I know. The lack of strikethrough significantly reduces my joke potential.

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 12:11 AM   #20
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

[QUOTE=Christopher;9182791]

It might also be a reference to Riker's personal dilemma, which paralleled that of writer Michael Piller at the time. Both Riker and Piller were debating with themselves whether to stay in their current jobs, where they were content but not advancing, or to move on to a higher-status job which would require leaving behind the people they enjoyed working with. They were wishing for a way to achieve the best of both worlds, the "world" of career ambition and the "world" of personal fulfillment. In that sense it was more a question or an aspiration -- can I find a way to have the best of both worlds?
This is how I view the title as well. For all the Picard/Locutus stuff, Part I is just as much about Riker and this particular emotional journey.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 01:53 AM   #21
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Best of Both Worlds.

The Borg--Combine organics and technology to achieve perfection, the best of both (organic&technological) worlds.

Riker--Wants to stay aboard the Enterprise, also wants to be a starship captain. In this circumstance he gets both, the best of both worlds (be captain & stay on the Enterprise)

Locutus--Riker wants to stop the Borg and save Earth. Riker wants to save Picard by abducting Locutus. Riker can either take his shot at the Borg cube to defeat them OR rescue Picard from the Borg cube.

Riker gets lucky. He defeats the Borg AND gets to rescue Picard. Riker gets the best of both worlds.

I used to recall a few more examples, maybe with Shelby.
In any case, more than enough to earn the title "Best of Both Worlds".
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 02:28 AM   #22
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Shelby's strategy was used, and not used.
Old January 30 2014, 04:55 AM   #23
Christopher
Writer

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
Locutus--Riker wants to stop the Borg and save Earth. Riker wants to save Picard by abducting Locutus. Riker can either take his shot at the Borg cube to defeat them OR rescue Picard from the Borg cube.
Good catch, I like that, but it can't have been part of the rationale for the title, since they didn't know how the story would end when they wrote (and named) part 1. So it's just lucky that it fits the title after the fact.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 08:56 PM   #24
Dale Sams
Captain

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
One thing that really annoys me about the title now - friggin Miley Cyrus. Google the title and half the results are TNG, and the other half are Hannah Montana.
And then, of course, there's this horror:

Way to go dude. You just gave the suits the theme song for their new Borg-centric Star Trek series.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 09:25 AM   #25
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

They were probably rocking to Van Hagar while writing this episode.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 04:09 PM   #26
Mojochi
Fleet Captain

I always took it as a double entendre, reflecting on both the Borg and Picard. The Borg are a balance between organism & machine, as well as the individual and the collective, & as such consider themselves superior, by being benefactor of both those "worlds", the ability to absorb & benefit from the knowledge of individuals, like Picard's knowledge of Starfleet tactics & tech, coupled with the hive mind that determines how best to use their accumulated knowledge & resources

Whereas, it is solely because of Picard calling upon both is individuality and his connection to the Borg collective that allowed them to prevail. Him benefiting from both those world's is what ultimately saves them all
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:19 PM   #27
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Doing a TNG screencap compilation I came across a scene from BoBW and made some comments to illustrate my interpretation.

I really love both designs which we didn't see that often and here they are together in one screencap.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 06:56 PM   #28
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

I always took it to mean that the Enterprise and the Borg cube were the best of their competing worlds. That the crew's reactions--to think outside of the box to beat the Borg--was a counter-weight to the Borg's ingenious plan to assimilate Picard (until it led to their downfall). I guess that's not right, however.
Old March 4 2014, 06:59 PM   #29
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
I always took it to mean that the Enterprise and the Borg cube were the best of their competing worlds. That the crew's reactions--to think outside of the box to beat the Borg--was a counter-weight to the Borg's ingenious plan to assimilate Picard (until it led to their downfall). I guess that's not right, however.
Oh, no worries -- I don't think there's a "right" answer to this sort of thing. But then again, that's a sign of a great title, that it could have so many meanings and lead to a lot of subtext.