RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,930
Posts: 5,389,699
Members: 24,720
Currently online: 557
Newest member: MrSpock

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "The Enemy Within"
1 1 2.70%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 4 10.81%
6 11 29.73%
7 4 10.81%
8 6 16.22%
9 6 16.22%
10 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 6 2014, 06:11 AM   #1
Botany Bay
Commodore
 
Botany Bay's Avatar
 
Location: shores of Australia
View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

Each week we're having a look at a TOS episode, going through the series in production order. Please rate the episode out of ten, and have your say below. I'll record the scores each week and save them so we can rank TOS in order of popularity.

If you're new to TOS, please watch along with us and ask anything you like about the episodes. TOS veterans, feel free to add any bits of trivia, or stories about the production of the episode as well. Some great websites to get you started :

Memory Alpha
Episode transcripts
Unseen elements of the Original Series
Star Trek Fact Check

Happy watching and reviewing!



This week, something sure to cause division : The Enemy Within
__________________
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 07:09 AM   #2
CrazyMatt
Commander
 
CrazyMatt's Avatar
 
Location: Paradise
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

Solid seven--gutsy to portray attempted rape so early in the show's production.
__________________
"You are speaking to a senior officer, Kirk!"
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 08:53 AM   #3
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

I'm of two minds on "The Enemy Within." My good half thinks it was great to give Shatner such an expansive, stretchy role and let him open up the throttle on us. But my evil side finds the premise too farfetched and theatrical. Overall I still say it's a good episode.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

It's a really fun episode but the logic, especially for the crew on the planet, doesn't hold up that well. It is very sinister Grace was sexually assaulted by a studio exec around the same time and was then fired a few weeks later (although I think it was one of a number of issues that might have impacted that decision). A great injustice. Shatner does ham it up quite a bit though doesn't he?
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 11:42 AM   #5
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
It is very sinister Grace was sexually assaulted by a studio exec around the same time and was then fired a few weeks later

It's well-understood now that the "executive" was the Great Bird, and by bringing it up publicly but never naming him, the victim cast a cloud of suspicion that hung in the air for years over a number of innocent men.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 11:54 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

6.

Hampered by the transporter not being well thought out, poor logic and an awkward ending.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2014, 01:39 PM   #7
mach7
Commander
 
mach7's Avatar
 
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

For me "The Enemy Within" is the first real miss.

Despite Shatner's great performance this episode is just kind of off.

There are too many inconsistency's.

They can't use the shuttlecraft?

Why not beam down some kind of shelter? Or Fire wood?

Why such a wide variation in the planets day/night temperature?

How/why does the transporter beam good kirk up, and then wait
to materialize bad kirk?

How does a repaired transporter "recombine" the 2 Kirks?

There are also the goofs with the scratch's on Kirks face switching sides and
Kirks command insignia reappearing in some shots.

Some of the good:

A good episode for Sulu

The Vulcan neck pinch

Overall I give it a 5
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 02:25 AM   #8
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Lost in Moria (Arlington, WA, USA)
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

mach7 wrote: View Post
There are too many inconsistency's.

They can't use the shuttlecraft?

Why such a wide variation in the planets day/night temperature?

How/why does the transporter beam good kirk up, and then wait
to materialize bad kirk?

How does a repaired transporter "recombine" the 2 Kirks?
These are not inconsistencies.

They can't use the shuttlecraft?
Not well thought out, but not an inconsistency since the shuttle hadn't been introduced yet. Properly speaking, any episode featuring the shuttle later would have to be called inconsistent with this one unless the difference was explained away.

Why such a wide variation in the planets day/night temperature?
What is this inconsistent with? Earth climate?

How/why does the transporter beam good kirk up, and then wait
to materialize bad kirk?

How does a repaired transporter "recombine" the 2 Kirks?
Unexplained and inconsistent are not the same thing. The only thing these are inconsistent with is the normal operation of the transporter ... and I bet you'd have a tough time explaining how that works, too.

Is the transporter "inconsistent" when it's working normally just because it's unexplained? (Actually, yes, but that's another debate.)

Actually it's entirely consistent to suggest that if a transporter can split one person into two, then it can also do the opposite. Inconsistent would be claiming that it can do one but not the other, just "because".


I'll give you all the others, though. Regarding the firewood and so on: In a similar thread last year, someone asked why they didn't beam down blankets. My answer was that they'd be split into "good" blankets which keep you warm, and "evil" blankets which make you colder. Hence, no net gain.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 02:58 AM   #9
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

A personal favorite. I love this episode, hangar bay-sized plot hole and all. I love the concept...I love the Shat's hammy tour de force. And it's noteworthy for establishing the Spock/McCoy relationship and the neck pinch.
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 03:30 AM   #10
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
It is very sinister Grace was sexually assaulted by a studio exec around the same time and was then fired a few weeks later

It's well-understood now that the "executive" was the Great Bird, and by bringing it up publicly but never naming him, the victim cast a cloud of suspicion that hung in the air for years over a number of innocent men.
Not saying you're wrong, but how is this now "well understand?" What's the source for this assertion?


This episode is a 9 for me. Love it!

After stumbling a bit over Harry Mudd Star Trek gets back on its game with this riveting story. Shatner delivers the goods portraying Jekyll and Hyde versions of Kirk, each despising the other and struggling to stay alive until mutually accepting they need each other to exist.

There is a lot of attention to detail in this episode in terms of setting and effectively putting across the story. We also get our first look at the first version of Kirk's alternate command tunic---in my opinion the best of the lot with it's distinctive wraparound design, collar and shoulder braiding. Sexism rears its head again as this time they can't resist Kirk going topless, something that will continue periodically. We also get our first look at the Vulcan nerve pinch. Cool.

For me the only flub in this episode is Spock's out of character moment at the end. Otherwise it's a first-rate effort.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 03:44 AM   #11
mach7
Commander
 
mach7's Avatar
 
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

Silvercrest,

Call them what you want, It just plain sloppy.

The shuttle craft, A hanger bay was designed into the Enterprise from the beginning.
The Shuttle mock up was already being built.
The Galileo seven was in pre production.
The fact that they didn't even mention it was a huge gaff.
They should have at least had a line explaining why they could not use it.

Day/night temp variation, It goes against physics, the laws of thermodynamics, and everything we know about weather. The mass of the planet and breathable atmosphere have a measurable and known thermal lag. That much energy can't just magically vanish.

The transporter was very consistent thru out the series. Except in this episode.
A better way would be to have both Kirks materialize at the same time, then you would
only have the problem of mass. Where did the mass come from to create a whole new Kirk? E=MC2. That is a constant.
But the fact that they had evil Kirk materialize later was very, very lazy.
Then you beam down Good and Evil Kirk together and the transporter "knows" that
the 2 Kirks now need to be one. The transporter is designed to reassemble things exactly as they were disassembled. But then we have the whole mass thing again.

Just saying, and as always this is just my opinion,
except was is science.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 05:35 AM   #12
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Lost in Moria (Arlington, WA, USA)
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

I think you're pushing the point with most of these — but if we know or assume there was always going to be a shuttle (which is reasonable), then yes, it's an inconsistency for the show to forget about it.

As to the temperature-- okay, if it's inconsistent with weather/thermodynamics/physics as we understand them (and I'm not sure that's true), it's a pretty small thing to pick on. Warp drive and the transporter violate the laws of physics every episode. Half the planets encountered by Enterprise have impossible conditions. Biologically it's ridiculous to imagine that Vulcans and humans could breed. Etc. etc.

The transporter behaves consistently? There are so many implications to the ability to convert energy to matter and back that simply using it for one thing and nothing else is already inconsistent.


Actually, if I was going to pick on this episode for only one thing, it's this: The transporter was intended to be visual shorthand to avoid having to depict shuttle landings. As such, there's nothing wrong with it. It's no different than having the UT to avoid issues of communication and language.

But with any of these: the second they use it as the focus of an episode, it justifies more and increasingly outlandish stories. Each one throws the implausibility of the device in the viewer's face and shouts that it's normal ... "except that this time, something went wrong!"

First it was "transporter gone wild" episodes. Later it was "holodeck gone wild" episodes. Please. Just leave the gadget on the periphery of the plot where it belongs. Don't make it the plot.

I like "The Enemy Within" fine. I just don't like where it led.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 05:59 AM   #13
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

Good episode but only gets a 6 from me because of:
  • just a bit too much ham from Shatner
  • editorial rearrangement of scene which make our heroes look stupid
  • Spock's awful comment on the end
  • stupidity of handling the men on the planet (effing beam them down 400 blankets and anything flammable)
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 09:35 AM   #14
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

Warped9 wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
It is very sinister Grace was sexually assaulted by a studio exec around the same time and was then fired a few weeks later
It's well-understood now that the "executive" was the Great Bird, and by bringing it up publicly but never naming him, the victim cast a cloud of suspicion that hung in the air for years over a number of innocent men.
Not saying you're wrong, but how is this now "well understand?" What's the source for this assertion?
I think many people assume it was GR but my understanding was that, while she refused to name the individual, she had denied that it was Gene. All those men are innocent until proven guilty, including Gene. I'm certainly not going to cast the one person who is definitely the victim in a bad light because other people are willing to judge the potential suspects without evidence - that's their bad, not hers.

I'm ambivalent about Spock's comments at the end. Originally, Spock and Rand were going to develop a close friendship and one could argue that this was a jibe because he knows that she fancies Kirk, i.e. that 'evil' Kirk was willing to act on his feelings while normal Kirk wont, but that relationship was never really developed. It's a misfire but in context not as bad it actually looked isolation.

I was quite proud of Rand for standing up to him but her comment, 'He IS the captain,' is downright creepy and it's true that a lot of women in the workplace have to put up with sexual harassment even today.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631

Last edited by Pauln6; February 7 2014 at 09:51 AM.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander
 
Runetouch's Avatar
 
Re: Episode of the Week : The Enemy Within

8. Shatner's performance was great, but I hated Spock's joke at the end.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
tos episode of the week

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.