MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 29 2014, 06:22 AM   #16
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Re: Why no Hunger Games video game?

Trekker4747 -- there are games where people have sex, right? (i'm not a gamer so i don't know). If the answer is yes, do any of them show underage kids having sex? if they did, they would be protested against, and banned if they weren't removed altogether.

They could solve it with the Hunger Games game by having all the characters be young adults as opposed to teens & pre-teens.

They have 74 years of games, and 12 characters per year to build on.

They could also make it in a parallel universe where you could have the Tribute winners of those years fight against each other. "all Star Hunger games"...slightly different than Catching Fire, where you get to choose the winner from among 15-30 candidates.

Seems like a missed opportunity. Might not be as big as Halo, but could certainly make a few million.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 06:59 AM   #17
JD
Admiral

The aging up idea did cross my mind, and it doesn't seem like anything that would completely ruin the story's transition to a game.
Old January 29 2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Even seeing a child in a video game is generally rare. How many games can you name where the goal is to murder children? How about games that even allow for the rare child to be targeted by the player and doesn't just auto-safety all of your weapons? (And no, Bioshock gene-spliced, monster-eyed little sisters that die during fade to black on an evil run don't count.)

Games might be for more than children, but can you honestly say there's a legit market chomping at the bit to delve into the fantasy of murdering children as blood sport?

You just know someone pitched it during the marketing meetings, they talked about it for five minutes and then someone sane realized they were talking about how to turn child murder into a video game and they moved on to the Official Katniss Nerf Archery Set.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 01:35 PM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

How bout nobody dies in the game they just fall down holding their stomachs and groaning?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2014, 01:45 PM   #20
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 -- there are games where people have sex, right? (i'm not a gamer so i don't know). If the answer is yes, do any of them show underage kids having sex? if they did, they would be protested against, and banned if they weren't removed altogether.
Note that I am speaking solely of the US here.

Yes, there are games with sex. However, sex is never shown in any kind of explicit detail because that would get you an Adults Only rating, which no retail store will carry.

Underage kids having sex? Nope! Don't think I've ever seen a game in the US where that happened, or was even implied. Few games have kids in them to begin with, though.

The video game market is far more sheepish about sex than violence. You can show all the brutal deaths you want, but no nipples or genitals, much less actual sex. If a game came out that had underage sex, it would be quite a scandal and it would be pulled from the market in a hurry.

They could solve it with the Hunger Games game by having all the characters be young adults as opposed to teens & pre-teens.
Sure, aging up would work.

They wouldn't spread it out like that. Most likely, they'd make a fighting game akin to Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. That seems the most logical choice given the material.

They could also make it in a parallel universe where you could have the Tribute winners of those years fight against each other. "all Star Hunger games"...slightly different than Catching Fire, where you get to choose the winner from among 15-30 candidates.
Heh, you probably wouldn't even need to lampshade it with the parallel universe talk. People will accept all kinds of weird stuff in video games without explanation. "Wasn't this character dead? Oh well, it doesn't matter! On with the fighting!"

Seems like a missed opportunity. Might not be as big as Halo, but could certainly make a few million.
Here's one person's take on how a game based on HG could work. I mean, it's Kotaku, but what can you do?
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 07:22 AM   #21
JD
Admiral

I was thinking of something more like an arena combat game. The kind of thing you get in the multiplayer modes of most the games that come out. Basically just have a straight video game version of how the Games are presented in the books/movies.
Old January 30 2014, 09:02 AM   #22
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

You power up by drinking the blood of the other contestants.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 09:29 AM   #23
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
24 characters a year, actually. 12 districts supply two tributes a year.

I agree that a video game about kids killin' kids in a gladiator arena for mass entertainment of the upper class wouldn't really fly with the parents groups.
Old January 30 2014, 10:25 AM   #24
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

The Hunger Games target audience is teenage girls. Not a demographic widely known for being gamers.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 01:33 PM   #25
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm not sure that stereotype is remotely true, although they're probably not known for appreciating fighting games. That being said, is the movie audience the same as the book audience?
Old January 30 2014, 03:22 PM   #26
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

It could work, if the hero character is mainly being controlled in a deadly traps and monster (mutts, etc) platformer game and less about killing the others.

You could throw in a few boss characters from the career tribute pool who can be aged up enough so not to count as kids anymore.

It would still be very dark, because while the player survives, you can't quite get around other kids dying gruesome deaths, just not necessarily at the hands of the player.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 07:42 PM   #27
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
Even seeing a child in a video game is generally rare. How many games can you name where the goal is to murder children?
You could murder children in Fallout, The Phantom Menace, Deus Ex, and Baldur's Gate. Fallout 1 even has a perk called "child killer" your character receives after killing a child. I also remember running over children with an ice cream truck in Body Harvest on the N64. See, you play the ice cream music to lure them close, and then turn them into a bloody splatter on the street. Sure, you're supposed to save them to complete the mission, but sometimes you just want to have fun.

There's plenty of games where you can kill kids.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 08:15 PM   #28
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

But is your playable character also a kid?
Old January 30 2014, 08:26 PM   #29
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

But is your playable character also a kid?
Nope. I can't think of any examples where kids kill kids. Sure, there's probably an NES platformer where you play as a kid throwing apples or something at other kid-like looking 32x24 pixel sprites causing them to blink out of existence, but that doesn't count.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 08:43 PM   #30
selina
Fleet Captain

Well, in "The Walking Dead", season 2, you play a little girl as a main character. Of course, she is fighting against zombies, not humans (haven't actually played season 2 yet). The only way I could see The Hunger Games turned into a videogame is a similar approach. More like an adventure game and less like a fighting/survival game. But I'm actually glad they stayed away from any possible Hunger Games videogames. As was mentioned before, there is always a rsik that games based on movies totally suck.

Last edited by selina; January 30 2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Typos *damn spell-checker*
selina is offline   Reply With Quote