A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 4 2014, 11:05 PM   #61
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: In-Universe Explanation for TOS Retro Tech

I dunno if the "accordion" key are "impractial". It's just a touch keyboard layout like any other. In fact, Lee Cole said the based it on an accordion's keys, knowing it could be operated with one hand.

Below is from a different thread discussing the TMP bridge set from a while back.

Maurice wrote: View Post
The TMP set is covered with what I'd call Colegraphs, as designed by Lee Cole and other members of the Art Dept., who did the instrumentation and a lot of the signage for the film. The TMP set is probably unique in that at least SOME though was given to what the controls were or would actually be. The weapons console is the only one we get any good look at (in TMP and TWOK), but you can see that there's some thought given to how it works.

Diagram of TORP LOAD STATUS display. The red and blue indicators light up as the sliders (next image) are pushed up on the PHOTON TORPEDO panel. (In TWOK they pulled them DOWN, which actually shuts off the console above.)

Diagram of PHOTON TORPEDO arming controls. At top are four sliders for setting the torpedo energy levels. Some of the labeling is not clearly visible and thus indicated by ???. The ON and OFF buttons were practical switches on the console face, painted black, that allowed the actor to turn on this part of the console.

Diagram of PHASER CHARGING controls. At top are four sliders for setting the power levels, and at bottom right are four mechanical push buttons for transferring warp power.

Diagram of FIRE CONTROL controls. At top left are buttons for firing phasers in the indicated direction, and at lower right are hexagonal buttons for firing torpedoes. One of the labels is not clearly visible and thus indicated by ???

Diagram of DEFLECTOR SCREEN controls. The labels for the square blue lights appear to be in jokes for the art department, with DMAL for Dan Maltese, MINR for Mike Minor, LCLE for Lee Cole and SBAC for Rick Sternbach. The text labels for the hexagonal buttons at lower right are not clearly visible in any references found to date.

Finally, here's a photo of half-scale console built for insert shots of graphics appearing on the large display (center). You can see how the various panels fit on it. I didn't bother drawing up the COMPTR panel which is just a bank of "accordion" buttons.

Here's one more for ya to stew on...

From the HELM. Diagram of VELOCITY controls to the right of the manual throttle.

PULSAR CO-ORD appears to be some readout to show that certain pulsars have been triangulated upon in order to know the ship's current position via trig. I smell Jesco Von Puttkamer all over this...

Sliders are used to set the ship's velocity at WARP or IMPULSE. It looks like the number actually indicates the next major tick mark. Odd.

The DOPPLER COMP would seem to show how much doppler compensation is required for a given velocity. These probably light up depending on the ship's velocity.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 01:50 AM   #62
davejames
Vice Admiral

I rather like the TMP/TWOK-style controls and screens, although I admit they now look just about as dated as those of TOS.

What's really weird is watching TNG and seeing how much their computer technology looks like what we have on our smartphones now. It probably won't be long before that looks just as dated as all the rest.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 01:59 AM   #63
davejames
Vice Admiral

MGagen wrote: View Post
On another note, I've always liked to visualize many of the various buttons and blinkies as having a narrow band holgraphic effect visible only to the operator immediately in front of it. Holographic labels that float above each button and refresh as the panel is reconfigured for various functions. Sulu sees things a camera off to the side can't see. It also gives a reason to the black console surfaces -- luminous type would read more easily if projected over a black background. Unlike the JJPrise, the REAL Enterprise took ergonomics and eyestrain into account.
I always saw it simply as them having such advanced Starfleet training that all they had to do was look at different combinations of lights on the screen, and they could immediately interpret and understand what they meant.

Kind of like a visual form of Braille or something. If the blind can somehow interpret and make sense of different arrangements of bumps on a wall, then surely the TOS crew could do something equally impressive with lights in the 23rd century.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 12:03 PM   #64
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I rather like the TMP/TWOK-style controls and screens, although I admit they now look just about as dated as those of TOS.

What's really weird is watching TNG and seeing how much their computer technology looks like what we have on our smartphones now. It probably won't be long before that looks just as dated as all the rest.
I think TNG looks more dated than the classic movies - my phone has a ton of animation and a fully reconfigurable screen, which is what the TNG technical manual said could be done on the Enterprise-D's control panels, but of course we never really saw it. LCARS comes across as a touchscreen DOS.
Old February 8 2014, 04:16 AM   #65
JJTrek4ever!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

JJTrek4ever! wrote: View Post
TMP also features a sickbay prop which looks identical to a TOS one other than the color.
Are you are referring to the anabolic protoplaser that was retasked into a brain scanner that Chapel uses on Spock?
Yes. It's the only medical prop we really see.
Not exactly.
JJTrek4ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 11:07 AM   #66
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^True that, but I meant in sickbay.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2014, 11:30 AM   #67
MacLeod
Admiral

BMariner wrote: View Post
SchwEnt wrote: View Post
There was an 80s TOS novel, I cannot recall the title, that offered an explanation.

Something along the lines of a starship being on the frontier, where no man has gone before, with no resupply port or repair base in range. The ship and crew were on their own and had to be able to dismantle, repair, refurbish, etc with only their own hands out in the field, as it were.

Slick interfaces and high tech was eschewed in favor of easily swappable, reliable, rugged, basic controls. Much as field gear today is military-rugged versus a fragile touch screen iProduct for home consumer use.

Does that sufficiently explain TOS retro tech?
I think so, especially because we see this idea in practice today. Check out a plane cockpit, for example. Even the newest planes are replete with analog controls, gauges, and minimally labeled switches. I know the Space Shuttle program was very dated, but even until the last mission NASA favored older, more robust tech on-board while Mission Control boasted iPads and retina flat screens. Most everything aboard the ISS is knobby and switchy. So this theory holds water, at least for the TOS TV run.
Well yes and no with modern cockpits.

Link to the A380 cockpit.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamili...y/commonality/

Sure it has lots of buttons and knobs but most of the displays are digital. Of course there are still a few analouge displays such as the back-up artifical horizon.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 07:50 PM   #68
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Watch the Enterprise two-parter "In a Mirror, Darkly" - when the crew of the mirrorverse Enterprise NX-01 board the USS Defiant (fresh from vanishing in "The Tholian Web") they are amazed at what they're seeing. It's not crude analogue technology at all, but technology meeting art in the 23rd century.
Excellent point. That explains how fans should view TOS tech.
Old February 10 2014, 09:59 PM   #69
BMariner
Lieutenant Junior Grade

davejames wrote: View Post
Kind of like a visual form of Braille or something. If the blind can somehow interpret and make sense of different arrangements of bumps on a wall, then surely the TOS crew could do something equally impressive with lights in the 23rd century.
Visual braille - I love it!

Gotta say, though, I think the advanced training to interpret the lights is a hurdle for me. I can't think of a reasonable way to argue that interpreting combinations of blinking lights is more efficient than a visual readout. It's like arguing that Morse code is a more efficient mode of communicating audio than voice.

Last edited by BMariner; February 10 2014 at 10:13 PM.
BMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2014, 04:33 AM   #70
FKnight
Commander

Yeah... and the TOS bridge isn't all blinky lights? Blinky, completely unlabeled lights and displays full of blinky unlabled rectangles beneath a panel of static screens-- all designed to pop on a color TV. Say what you will about JJPrise, TOS was all about "it's just science fiction -- put some blinky lights on it."
"Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here, there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights -- blinking and beeping and flashing -- they're flashing and they're beeping -- I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! THEY'RE BLINKING AND BEEPING AND FLASHING! WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY PULL THE PLUG?!?!"

"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 02:57 AM   #71
Mr_Homn
Captain

FKnight wrote: View Post
Yeah... and the TOS bridge isn't all blinky lights? Blinky, completely unlabeled lights and displays full of blinky unlabled rectangles beneath a panel of static screens-- all designed to pop on a color TV. Say what you will about JJPrise, TOS was all about "it's just science fiction -- put some blinky lights on it."
"Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here, there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights -- blinking and beeping and flashing -- they're flashing and they're beeping -- I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! THEY'RE BLINKING AND BEEPING AND FLASHING! WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY PULL THE PLUG?!?!"

One of the best shatner moments ever for me.
Old February 15 2014, 06:43 PM   #72
FKnight
Commander

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post

One of the best shatner moments ever for me.
Shatner does the absolute best Shatner impression
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2014, 07:44 PM   #73
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

This is true now or during TOS?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote