Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 3 2014, 05:49 PM   #46
Warped9
Admiral

Re: In-Universe Explanation for TOS Retro Tech

I, too, generally, prefer the TOS design. I particularly like the continuity of the consoles all around the bridge, unbroken except for the main viewscreen and the turbolift. In TMP they had the stations as separated units.
Old February 3 2014, 09:34 PM   #47
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
In TMP they took the original concepts and extropolated to flesh them out in greater and updated detail for the big screen. You can immediately grasp the sense of evolutionary progression. Also the TMP refit design maintains the overall visual balance the TOS design had.
TMP is not an evolution of TOS, it's a flat-out replacement with something considered more realistic by late 70's standards. It follows the basic layout of the TOS bridge but no more.
Old February 3 2014, 09:40 PM   #48
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Touch typists do not need to see the keys they are pressing, same as most good musicians do not need to see where their hands are relative to the instrument to play - it's done by feel and experience. (That's why i was never any good at the piano, I had to see which keys my fingers were on, which is no use when trying to read the music). Sulu and Chekov's consoles were probably meant to be operated by touch only, so that they could concentrate on what was going on around them.

I could also postulate that Spock's viewer was able to give him a pseudo 3D display (binocular viewer), something that could not be projected across the whole bridge. Production costs aside, Voyager or the EE should really have had holographic bridge displays, given the holotech available
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 09:58 PM   #49
F. King Daniel
Admiral

What's in Spock's scanner? Here's your answer:
Old February 3 2014, 10:52 PM   #50
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Brilliant!!
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 11:00 PM   #51
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Here are parts two and three. The guy had insane skills to have put it all together so well.

Old February 3 2014, 11:44 PM   #52
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I LOVE the original bridge. Does having all the perimeter officers have to turn to talk to the captain make good sense, though? Maybe it does. Later bridges that oriented more people towards the front or center were really for camera angles, I know.

2. That is a good point about Cochrane's nacelles. I am reminded of the nacelles from the AMT kit for some reason.

3. A riddle for those of you who have been in the thread about the book These Are the Voyages:
If the original Enterprise had an advisor on Federation law on the bridge, where would she sit?

At the Legal Console.
Old February 3 2014, 11:59 PM   #53
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

plynch wrote: View Post
3. A riddle for those of you who have been in the thread about the book These Are the Voyages:
If the original Enterprise had an advisor on Federation law on the bridge, where would she sit?

At the Legal Console.
Old February 4 2014, 02:38 PM   #54
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
^ Doctor Who is an interesting case study.

The 'original' TARDIS control room was arguably a little "groovy" in its design, with it's giant roundel motif on the walls, but the control console itself depicted in the 1960s episodes was consistently plausible and realistic. Covered with switches that are actually visibly labeled on screen (as demonstrated with the 'Fast Return' switch in 1964's "The Edge Of Destruction"), or with conventional read-outs and gauges (like the radiation meter seen at the start of "The Daleks").

Not only did it look plausible, it was realistically shown, fully working, on-screen. I never found it less than 100% believable.

The revamp of the design in the 1980s saw the console's physical levers replaced with conventional computer keyboards of a type that might be seen on any home computer of the period (think 'Commodore 64'), but it was still plausible that the Doctor was getting information from the display screens, even if the actual asthetics depicted therein do look a little dated today.

The new series consoles are where it failed for me. Only Smith's revamped console room convinces me. The Eccleston/Tennant/early Smith model technology always seemed ridiculously impractical.

The original Sonic Screwdriver was literally a device for fixing things or unlocking doors, not the multi-purpose "anything goes!" device depicted in New Who which is often treated like a tricorder from Star Trek. That's what makes it implausible.
And I thought that I was the only one that hated the new TARDIS control console! Nice to see somebody else that does.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 02:46 PM   #55
Redfern
Commodore

Shaka, when you say "the new TARDIS console", do you mean the newest design that debuted in "The Snowmen" Christmas special, the previous arrangement debuted in "The Eleventh Hour" or the "coral" motif presented in "Rose"?

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 02:56 PM   #56
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^I mean most of the consoles on the new series. I like the classic consoles from the original series.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 03:28 PM   #57
Redfern
Commodore

I can relate since I was "introduced" to DW in 1982 via the Tom Baker serials. At least this latest console ("The Snowmen" version) harkens a bit more towards the "classic" era. And though I didn't see any of his stories until years after I watched Tom Baker, I'd say I like William Hartnell's console the best, as well as the control room due to the variety of elements.

If anyone is bothered this is veering off topic, well, this discussion also focuses upon "retro tech". Really, anything short of full telepathic interfacing with the TARDIS with no visible instrumentality is probably "retro" tech in the eyes of the TimeLords.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 04:07 PM   #58
Robert Comsol
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Here are parts two and three. The guy had insane skills to have put it all together so well.
Absolutely amazing, thanks for sharing!

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 09:45 PM   #59
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

BMariner wrote: View Post
Are we looking at the same bridge? I've poured thru stills and have only counted about 10 buttons with labels on them (rectangular buttons, white backlit with black text-- those came from actual aircraft). And a few other labeled controls. What doesn't wash with me are the semi-circle arrays of colored resin lights/buttons with absolutely no labels. I'm a Trek tech novice, so I could be completely wrong, but so far I'm seeing a lot of randomly, mostly unlabeled blinking things.
As I recall, when Enterprise recreated the bridge for "A Mirror Darkly" they actually labeled many of the buttons which were unlabeled in TOS and found that it was a waste of effort because it didn't show up on camera.

BMariner wrote: View Post
I never cared for the bridges of TMP - TFF. My favorite is TOS, despite the absurdity (in hindsight) of the controls themselves. And of course I dig them now in a very retro-nostalgic way; Raygun design holds up wonderfully wherever it's implemented. The absurdity of the controls is acceptable to me in TOS. TMP and subsequent movies takes that absurdity and puts it on steroids. Loose arrays of multicolored resin lights gave way to dense blocks of uni-colored Lite Brites. Zero practicality.
Regardless of if you like the aesthetics of the TMP bridge, its instrumentation is the most thought out of any Star Trek's (I'm not counting the film projected into the monitors). Have you seen the Enterprise Flight Manual? It shows how much thought was put into the TMP bridge control panels, given that much of it was the work of Lee Cole, who actually worked in aerospace instrument design prior to working on Phase II/TMP, plus Rich Sternbach and others.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 10:39 PM   #60
BMariner
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maurice wrote: View Post
Regardless of if you like the aesthetics of the TMP bridge, its instrumentation is the most thought out of any Star Trek's (I'm not counting the film projected into the monitors). Have you seen the Enterprise Flight Manual? It shows how much thought was put into the TMP bridge control panels, given that much of it was the work of Lee Cole, who actually worked in aerospace instrument design prior to working on Phase II/TMP, plus Rich Sternbach and others.
Wow, thanks for linking to that manual! Great insight there. So what I've referred to as "Lite Brites" were actually deemed "accordion buttons." It's nice to see that they've attributed a purpose to them (however impractical, IMO). I imagine the design was chosen first for on-screen optics and their purpose was created later. Aside from the knob/switch aesthetic, I think one of the main differences between today's (21st Century) tech and TOS tech is that everything is a unitasker.
BMariner is offline   Reply With Quote